Soundgarden and Chris Cornell

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
agny
On The Rail

Re: Soundgarden and Chris Cornell

Post by agny »

anguyen92 wrote:
agny wrote:Tickets are on sale for Chris' acoustic tour. Not cheap and most gone by the tiime I had a chance to get online :/
http://chriscornell.com/tour
I thought about going to the one in LA and then I saw the price being around $55-$70. I thought it would be the price to see Soundgarden, but I would think acoustic solo shows would be cheaper like say $25-30.
From the business side, his acoustic tours don't take as much gear and staff to produce, but he's also playing at theaters instead of arenas. But entertainment wise, his acoustic shows are way more interesting and each one is different. If you've never seen him before it's worth it, but I've seen him acoustic three times already so I guess I'm balking at the bigger prices. And I'm reluctant to buy tickets so far ahead, been burned on cancellations and rescheduling sometimes, and sometimes my work schedule incudes evenings or weekends.

Obviously Chris can command the bigger prices anyway. Frustrating to see things on StubHub right away. There are simple online polling services that generate unique invitation codes, and if music management cared about selling direct to fans they could do something similar.
Alterations: Dec 2010, May 2011, August 2011x2, Sept 2011, Oct 2014x2

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Stumbled across a fantastic interview from last year
[youtube]http://youtu.be/lnWEnBQa1DE[/youtube]

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Happy birthday to the brilliant Chris Cornell (well, it's still his birthday in a few more time zones)
[youtube]http://youtu.be/rBjyl1LvBF4[/youtube]

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I'm really enjoying his new song. It's got a bit of a pop edge, similar to Carry On, its experimental vibe reminds me of Euphoria Morning (which is being re-released soon), but has a swing to it that I've not heard from Chris before. If this song is anything to go by, Higher Truth will be a fantastic album.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ I like it. Sounds very worldly in parts. I shall listen to the album when it comes out.

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

I love it - saw a VEVO link http://www.vevo.com/watch/USUV71501984

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Nice long Kerrang interview with Chris. I love the notion of pairing this one with some of my favorites of his songs. Really reflect my changing views of life over the years.
http://www.kerrang.com/34618/chris-corn ... -identity/

And as I have this song on repeat, I really love Chris's songwriting. Not overly complex, a little obtuse so you can interpret it slightly different ways for each person and for different moments in life. And just catchy. It has touches of his best past solo work, his Beatles influences, and neat instrumental quirks.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I really liked that song. Looking forward to the album!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

As a diehard fan, it irks me when an interviewer knows Chris as basically the Black Hole Sun grungy dude, but at least he gets some space to talk and most importantly some new song snippets are played:
http://www.npr.org/2015/09/13/439262615 ... cing-space

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I'm really looking forward to this album, and I completely forgot it's out next week! Those clips sounded great. Does anyone know the cheapest place in the UK to buy the deluxe edition? It's £20 on Amazon, which is a bit steep, but I feel like I need Misery Chain and Bend In The Road!

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Don't know about the UK, hope someone will chime in. I would have preordered off his website, but the CDs come with a free poster (which I don't want) and the shipping is crazy high which must be because of the poster. I want to pay for the music, not shipping! I should look around for other places to preorder.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

BSC wrote:I'm really looking forward to this album, and I completely forgot it's out next week! Those clips sounded great. Does anyone know the cheapest place in the UK to buy the deluxe edition? It's £20 on Amazon, which is a bit steep, but I feel like I need Misery Chain and Bend In The Road!
By the looks of it the MP3 version of the album is the deluxe edition - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013F5O61A/r ... _album_lnk - which you can get for £9.99, or if you want a hard-copy you can buy the standard CD for £0.00 and get the autorip of the extra songs?

Also found this on google for £12.99 - http://www.base.com/buy/product/chris-c ... AmMI8P8HAQ - never heard of the site though so check up on it.
For all of the hope that it brings...

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I'm really enjoying the new album. I did get the deluxe edition from auto-rip after buying the standard version of the CD, thanks for the suggestion Ubik. Murderer of the Blue Sky is a stand-out favourite, seems to be the complete opposite of Josephine lyric-wise. My least favourite is the title track Higher Truth, it doesn't really stand out for me, which it a shame considering it's one of the very few songs with real drums.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I didn't really care about the first part of the album. I'm really into acoustic music, but somehow it didn't grab my attention. Then Murderer of the Blue Sky happened. Loved that song so much, especially the lyrics.

I thought the second part of the album was a lot stronger. Our Time In The Universe and Bend in the Road are two other ones that I really liked. Hopefully the first part will grow on me.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Still need to get my hands on this which is ridiculous, but life's been busy lately.

Interesting part of an interview with L.A. Times http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mu ... story.html In my opinion, even with less range, he still has more range than many singers!
From his earliest days in Soundgarden, Chris Cornell was identified as a vocalist of special force. Now 51, he's reconciled with the changes in his singing abilities and, in the process, found hidden benefits that escaped him in his 20s.

"As time has moved on, I have less range and less ability to easily go in and out of different registers, but I feel like I have a much better ability to emotionally connect with any song," Cornell says. "All that is a moving target. The human voice is not a trumpet. It's not a piano. It's always changing, and a singer has to go with the flow."

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Good interview. Liked how he went over some of the things he and his production team for Scream was thinking about when making that album. Not surprisingly, the way Cornell was thinking regarding making songs and how it clashes with how Timbaland and his crew was thinking was probably why the album just didn't work out well enough (I like the songs from it, but it felt like Cornell trying to have a vibe of a JT or Timbaland just did not work out well). This part stands out to me in particular.
I was always the kid who listened to records on my own, in my bedroom, spending hours focusing, always gravitating to deep album tracks and those weirder ones. That was my thing. And if one of those made it on the radio it was always a little bit surprising. The same way it was surprising to me when “Black Hole Sun” was a single when everybody seemed to unanimously choose it as one. I don’t think we thought of it as a song that would make it on the radio. That’s kept me from having to bear the burden of making the decision, “should I try to write a radio song?” I really wouldn’t know where to start.

But definitely the Scream album, there was not a day that I wasn’t in a room with somebody who was thinking about that. And thinking about it in the context of the way a Seattle band in the 1990s or 1980s might have thought about needing to write a song that’s pure honest expression—to a pop songwriter, or pop producer, to them, there’s only one yardstick for successfully writing that song, and that’s commercial success. Same thing in the hiphop world, really. They don’t think of cult success as a positive thing. That’s: You’ve failed. Which makes me think that if you’ve had lasting success, you’ve failed. Because the only way to have lasting pop success is you’ve gotta get up every week and invent a new thing that really young people like, and that’s a really hard thing to do for anyone over the course of several decades.
As for Higher Truth, I like it slightly better (may even grow to love it, perhaps) than the Scream album and was totally an album that I expected Chris Cornell solo to do.

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Finally did get the CD at Chris's concert, I figured best to have the money go straight to him and not on shipping. Made for a great soundtrack home, still lots to fall in love with on the album.

The concert was amazing, even given I'm a CC fangirl, his singing and playing was superb and he was in a fun talkative mood. Many songs featured a cellist who was great, also played Chris's mandolin part from Nearly Forgot... Someone near the front took several good videos, here: https://www.youtube.com/user/dustinsrock/videos

You can't tell from those videos, but he has simple but excellent lighting effects too. Different parts of the backdrop fabric glow at different times and the room lighting matched the lyrics of the songs sometimes on Fell on Black Days, Black Hole Sun, others, and just great moments of spotlighting him vs. the whole stage vs. the whole room lit up. Hard to describe but it added a nice touch.

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Also, the setlist was great, everything from radio hits to deep weird tracks to movie soundtrack songs to Rusty Cage Johnny-Cash-style to the new album. This looks correct to me, 28 songs, got home later than I planned but not complaining at all!! http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/chris-cor ... 4516d.html

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Spring CC Songbook tour dates announced from Iceland to Russia and down to Israel.