The Official SKILLET Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: The Official SKILLET Thread

Post by anguyen92 »

I had a shot to watch them at the Honda Center in Anaheim back in mid-January when they were doing something called the Rock And Worship Roadshow, but I didn't go. The thing is that they were doing only 45 min. setlist (and this is a headlining setlist) and there was a decent amount of acts before Skillet where I have no idea who they were and I don't know if I could wait too long before then.

Also, I don't think my family would let me go to a concert alone and I don't want to convince them otherwise since I didn't have an idea on how good the undercard was.

Edit: Also, I don't like the Honda Center as well for hockey reasons. Now if that show was in Staples Center......

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

New podcast.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/3WBUOeQjKEM[/youtube]

luke62
White Knuckled

Post by luke62 »

Heard "Hero" for the first time and I was hooked. Rapidly becoming one of my top 5 bands!

ESPImperium
Bought The CDs

Post by ESPImperium »

Really want to see them again, but see them do a full set, not a supporting set with 9 songs. Like to see them do a decent UK/Europe tour with We As Human and Red.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

That would be a really good and suitable bill for the UK/Europe fans to see. What venues would you reckon they would play in?

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

They hardly play full sets anymore. The longest set I've seen them do is like 14-15 songs, and that was about 5 years ago. Recently I've only seen them play around 8-9. And they have certain songs that are so big for them that the set doesn't change too much. They're still one of my favorite live shows, but after seeing them 5 times I'd like to catch them during another show with about 15 songs to hear some newer stuff.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Yeah, they don't do those 15-16 song sets as frequent anymore. Well, here's their setlist at a show in the Czech Republic. It's probably the closest to a headlining set. There's a video somewhere of the full show.

Whispers in the Dark
Sick of It
Hero
Better Than Drugs
Not Gonna Die
Awake and Alive
The Last Night
Rise
Comatose
Savior
It's Not Me, It's You
Guitar/Drum Solo
Circus for a Psycho
Monster
Encore:
Cello/Violin Solos
Rebirthing

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/skillet/2 ... 01617.html

Anywho, yeah, their setlists are getting a little too static for my taste (I think their case is slightly worst than AB's case). I would like to see them bust out Salvation at one point during the Rise album cycle, but I just don't see that happening sadly.

ESPImperium
Bought The CDs

Post by ESPImperium »

^^^ That set is pretty close to my optimal, pretty much 4 or 5 off each of their last 3 albums with some songs being dropped and brought back as the tour evolves, then have 2 of their older songs from pre Comatose, then a Drum solo from Jen, a guitar Solo from Seth and few parts throughout with Chello/Violin intros.

As for venues, id not be looking at arenas, they are too small, id probably look at venues that are about 1500 to 4500 in capacity depending on the city. As for cities:

-----Ireland/UK Leg-----
Dublin
Belfast
Glasgow
Newcastle
Leeds
Manchester
Birmingham
Cardiff
London
Southampton
-----Franco/Spanish leg-----
Paris
Strasbourg
Marseille
Barcelona
Madrid
Bordeaux
Lyon
-----Swiss/Italian leg----
Turin
Florence
Rome
Milan
Zurich
----German/Danish/Netherlands Leg----
Munich
Cologne
Bremen
Copenhagen
Hamburg
Berlin
----Europe Other (each two days apart)----
Prague
Vienna
Zagreb
Belgrade
Sofia
Bucharest
Budapest
Lviv
Kiev
Donetsk
Moscow
Helsinki
Stockholm
Gothenberg
Oslo
----HOME----

43 dates, it would be pretty never ending, almost 70-75 days in Europe with travel time and days off in it. Id fear for what it might do for the Coopers and them taking their kids on the road. I am missing a few cities out that may be ideal if some of the places they may not want to go to if they did it. I suppose it could be trimmed a bit, to make it 32 to 35 dates.

If they did that, and this goes for most bands who come to Europe, this is probably a pretty decent list to do. There could be another half dozen to dozen or so that could be added i guess to make it 55 dates with a tour thats about 80 or 85 dates long with days off/travel included.

However, the cost may not be worth it, and thats why they seem to do Support act duties in Europe to larger acts, some googling suggests its up to £25,000 for a UK tour with 2000 seat venues for a decent tour. So this tour may cost £200,000 easily. And thats where the business side of things kicks in, the boring stuff, but the stuff where the profit & loss section on the spreadsheet is looked at as the tour would go on. Which is why, i always try to buy a bands merch at a gig, no matter how small, it makes a difference.

Id recon thats why, after doing a small bit of research, this is my long winded answer.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Well, this is a nice picture.

http://instagram.com/p/pXE7wdHC9g/#
This guy has been the most influential guitarist to me since I started playing. This picture showing 10 years ago as I stood in line for 7 hours to see Alter Bridge for the first time, fast forward 10 years, I'm in a band who's opening for my favorite band. Thanks for everything @markttremonti

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

ESPImperium wrote:Really want to see them again, but see them do a full set, not a supporting set with 9 songs. Like to see them do a decent UK/Europe tour with We As Human and Red.
I just want to reference back to this post. Potential good news, man. According to this interview, they may consider doing their own headlining run around November.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/jjX8g-Aa45g[/youtube]

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

They're playing Winterfest at New Years again this year at Liberty University. Might be a good time for a headlining run since they're wrapping up the year at that show. I saw them headline that festival at the end of 2009/beginning of 2010 year, and they did around 15 songs I think.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

anguyen92 wrote:Well, this is a nice picture.

http://instagram.com/p/pXE7wdHC9g/#
This guy has been the most influential guitarist to me since I started playing. This picture showing 10 years ago as I stood in line for 7 hours to see Alter Bridge for the first time, fast forward 10 years, I'm in a band who's opening for my favorite band. Thanks for everything @markttremonti
The top pic was from our first AB concert back in 05. Good times.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

What the? I don't even know...... I found this through my usual forums rummaging. Somewhere in my mind when I first heard this song, this had to be the story of the video. Beating up an evil clown.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/udyYX8KqARY[/youtube]

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Lol yeah I've seen clips of that before. They shot it a good while ago, but I didn't know they put out a full video with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Vote for Skillet. They're up against One Direction in a who has the best fans poll. I don't even care if you don't like Skillet. You should vote for them simply because of who they're against lol.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... tion=false

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

I voted for One Direction, they're so talented

Seriously I hate those guys, wait till they hit puberty. Their voices will deepen and teenage girls will no longer buy their crap material.

Skillet all the way, love those guys!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Looks like Skillet beat round one! Some of the most diehard fans in rock.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Go #musers!

Weird to see a few rock bands in there, combined with all those pop acts. Seems kinda random..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

It is kinda weird. I wonder how they picked the rock bands? The pop acts make decent sense. But I will say the rock bands they picked all have pretty strong followings.

And Timo, there's a Muse thread for those comments. ;)

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Go #panheads!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.