FUEL 2013 = Puppet Strings

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Devil Inside You
Isolated

Re: FUEL 2013 = Puppet Strings

Post by Devil Inside You »

The thing about calling it a Carl Bell vanity project, is Fuel is essentially 60% him conceptually, and almost 100% if you're talking songwriting. If he found someone as talented as Brett to sing for Fuel the first time the band split, I don't doubt Fuel would have maintained a longer lasting impact. I'm excited for Brett's record because World Fire Brigade was amazing, but Puppet Strings didn't do much for me. And I'm excited for Bell's record so long as he gets someone more like Brett or Stapp and less like Toryn or some generic unknown. Angels and Devils and Puppet Strings don't match Something Like Human or Sunburn to me, and it goes to show how much they need each other.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

So they got some dude named John Corsale, and based off this I'm not sure how I feel. The second song sounds really good, but the lead single sounds really awkward, and the third song sounds like one of Carl's country tracks. Also it sounds over produced and really compressed. Either way the new album comes out in October and the lead single this July. Brett might have something out this year too. I've only heard one of Brett's teasers but it sounds more like Fuel than these songs. I still say Carl should have tried for Stapp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0GTE7zAgD4

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

it seems every singer carl tries to replace brett with is a poor facsimile of him. They are all sound a likes. The songs sound okay. But I guess we can change the tittle of the thread now

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Devil Inside You wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:59 pm So they got some dude named John Corsale, and based off this I'm not sure how I feel. The second song sounds really good, but the lead single sounds really awkward, and the third song sounds like one of Carl's country tracks. Also it sounds over produced and really compressed. Either way the new album comes out in October and the lead single this July. Brett might have something out this year too. I've only heard one of Brett's teasers but it sounds more like Fuel than these songs. I still say Carl should have tried for Stapp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0GTE7zAgD4
I would also add to my last post:

The vocals on the new singer sound highly produced, almost computer like. I don't like it. But on your last point on getting stapp for fuel, it's apparent that carl likes higher pitched singers and not baratones so stapp probably wouldn't have been a good fit. Especially so considering that stapp likes to have more involvement in the creation of the music now more than ever. I also think that stapps solo career is actually doing better than before, at least in terms of the quality of music. I am way more interested in getting more stapp solo stuff than I would be if he was doing fuel. I want to see how stapp can top red couds and gone too soon. Not trying to imitate fuels sound.

To be honest, carl getting a new singer, not getting toryn, is really asking a lot from the audience. We were comfortable with brett. then we became comfy with toryn. now we have to get used to a new singer? This is van halen level of shenanigans when it comes to different vocalists. The soul of fuel, the identity, is so lost now because of the variations of the bandmates coming and going over the years.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

I just want Stapp to recreate something like what he had with Tremonti haha But you're right, I doubt Stapp would be comfortable filling in for another singer's legacy. I dig his solo career too, but him and Carl Bell just sound like a match made in Heaven as far as songwriting. Maybe a one off collaboration?

I'm fine with Carl Bell taking over Fuel. He wrote every single one of Fuel's hits and he deserves it. But his choice of singers really upsets me. He cannot seem to get someone that's natural to the band like Brett was. I wonder if its because he rushes it. Jeff Gutt is a perfect fit for Stone Temple Pilots, because STP really narrowed down what they wanted. They found someone with the best traits of Scott Weiland and Chester Bennington and with Bell it never makes sense to me. I hated Toryn Green in Fuel. I think his voice is awful and he isn't fit to hold Brett's (or Carl's for that matter) jock strap. I think this guy sounds closer to Brett than Toryn but he still has the typical "rock guy" voice with no personality. Similar to the new Three Days Grace singer, Bryan Scott in Sick Puppies and of course Toryn Green. I'll reserve judgement until the full album drops but I'm already apprehensive.

This is partly Brett's fault too. He should have never quit Fuel if he was going to want the rights to the name later. Fuel's lineup wanted to reunite this year (with Abercrombie) but they couldn't because Brett didn't want to put his guys out of a job. Which is noble, but had he formed a new band after quitting and let Fuel rest like Mark and Stapp did with Creed, then maybe him and Carl would be making music right now.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

I liked the new single "Hard". To me it was catchy to listen to. I feel like the guitars arent very loud in the mix though.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

cheesedip1 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:01 pm I liked the new single "Hard". To me it was catchy to listen to. I feel like the guitars arent very loud in the mix though.
I liked it too. I disagree about the guitars, they're a little loud. You can't hear the vocals well and that's an issue especially because of how fast the song is - how fast the vocal are.

1. problem is the song is radio friendly to a fault. It really wants to be short but it makes the singer not have a chance to breathe. He kind of just shouts the lyrics in the same tone. same can kind of be said for the music. It's hard to appreciate the music because it's over so soon.

2. the singer is okay but the song doesn't really let him show much of his talent.

3. the song is catchy and i wonder if the lyrics are about brett.

I think maybe we should change the thread title to Fuel 2021 Anomaly, if that's at all possible.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Damn, you guys beat me to it. Lol. Its alright. MUCH better than the teaser would lead me to believe but man. I wish Carl didn't just hire the first group of guys he found. He did an interview with Loudwire recently where he gives a lot more exposition in regards to this lineup of Fuel, and based off what he said it already seems like this lineup is doomed to fail. These guys are just Kevin Miller's local cover band and Carl hired them off the bat. I get he writes the songs but chemistry is huge to a band like Fuel and he should have taken more time.

Fuel makes me appreciate the decisions made by Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots and Creed more and more. I'm excited for Anomaly and Brett's album still though

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I think this song should be like 3 mins and 45 seconds. Slow it down and let it breathe
Last edited by nagpo on Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

The chorus is catchy and the song is very radio-friendly.

I like it, but it was made to get played on the radio...too fast, too short. Not even 3 minutes lenght.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Well im interested in both projects because Brett is the voice of Fuel and Bell is the guy who writes all the Fuel songs.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Brett's new project is called Melody Brothers. You can go to his facebook and hear some of the music.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

New fuel single dropped. Kind of the same style as the last. Very short and radio friendly. Very artificial sounding.

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

nagpo wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:56 am New fuel single dropped. Kind of the same style as the last. Very short and radio friendly. Very artificial sounding.
It would be better if it was longer. Not even 3 minutes. The 2nd verse was literally 2 lines then back to the chorus. Does sound very artificial.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

I don't know why Carl gets the most basic singers when he's not with Brett. Both of these songs are fine but much like Toryn Green, John doesn't have that star power to push them further. I'm holding total reservations for the final product and acknowledge that these songs may grow on me but man. Work with Stapp already!

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

They put out “I’m Gone”. I’m sorry… but so far this new music is just bad. So short and just bad.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

I agree. I'm a little worried about this record. I don't like the lead up to this lineup either. Carl Bell is an amazing songwriter and he's up there with Tremonti for me as far as storytelling and emotions. But unlike Tremonti, Carl is not good at recapturing chemistry.

Neither Toryn Green nor John Corsale have that X-Factor Brett has. They don't blend with Carl's songs the way Myles and Stapp do with Tremonti's. I wish he looked longer for a band instead of taking Kevin Miller's cover bar band. I don't see why he doesn't just front Fuel himself. They're his songs anyway and he has a good voice.

I will say this over and over again. Toryn Green and John Corsale are what rock music sounds like to people who hate rock music.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

yeah the new single sucks. The new album seems like it's going to be shit. corsale blows, nothing original or impressive about him. the vocals and songs are overproduced. The songs are all under three minutes and sound generic. Puppet Strings was way better. Not excited at all for this anymore.

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

Yeah, I cancelled my pre order on iTunes. Not paying $10 for that. I’ll check out the previews and then decide if I’ll get any but not looking to good.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

everyone kept telling me carl bell was fuel but if this is what fuel is i don't want it. Brett's version of fuel had better music even if it didn't sound like fuel. This doesn't sound like fuel and the music blows.