The Official STONE SOUR Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Decay

Re: The Official STONE SOUR Thread

Post by Decay »

Listen to House Of Gold & Bones Part 2 here: http://stonesour.com/albumstream

- Awesome album. I expected to be as awesome as Part 1 and it damn sure is. HOGAB Part 1 & 2 are definitely Stone Sour's masterpieces, best albums for sure, both lyrically and musically. Stone Sour fucking rules!

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

you beat me to this by literally 2 seconds
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

RuRo
Loyal Follower

Post by RuRo »

Listened to it twice yesterday. It's one of those albums the band really should have said "darker and heavier" for. It's very dark and contains a lot of their heaviest stuff.

Very impressed after initial listens - wouldn't say it is better than Part 1 right now (maybe since Part 1 contains more melodic / catchy songs), but both parts really are Stone Sour's best work.

The Conflagration and '82 are the initial favourites. '82 is one of those rare songs that filled me with the type of enjoyment I get from old favourites the very first times I listened to it (Tired was another song that gave me that feeling after just a couple of listens). Sadist, Stalemate and the title track also impressed.

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

Not sure about this one. It's undeniably heavy and dark, but it's definitely lacking a bit in the melody department - maybe on purpose, I don't know. Right now, I don't think it lives up to Part 1, but I expect it's a grower.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Giving it a second listen now, really dark record for sure. I'm liking it pretty well though. This whole double album has been one of the best things the modern rock seen has had in a while imo.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Anyone else think the closer sounds A LOT like Come What(ever) May? The actual track that is. They repeated a lot of musical pieces from Part 1 on Part 2, so maybe that was intended.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Still have to listen to this.. Wasn't a fan of the single they released for the second album..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

RuRo
Loyal Follower

Post by RuRo »

Andy92 wrote:Anyone else think the closer sounds A LOT like Come What(ever) May? The actual track that is. They repeated a lot of musical pieces from Part 1 on Part 2, so maybe that was intended.
I don't really hear that, I only think it sounds like Absolute Zero since it literally reprises it (not sure if the chorus is actually a reprise although it is similar, the pre chorus definitely is though).

Speaking of them repeating a lot of musical parts, can anyone actually point out what ones? Everyone seems to be saying there are lots of parts from Part 1 but the only ones I can identify are Do Me A Favor / A Rumor Of Skin, The Conflagration / Travellers, HOGAB / Absolute Zero - are there any more?

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Yeah I knew it was pretty much a reprise of Absolute Zero, but I still think the verse riff sounds a lot like the opening riff to Come What(ever) May.

I caught those 3 you mentioned. The only other song I kind of wondered about was Black John. Sounds kind of like the chorus riff from My Name Is Allen is used in the beginning of that song, at least a very similar chord progression.

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

Andy92 wrote:I caught those 3 you mentioned. The only other song I kind of wondered about was Black John. Sounds kind of like the chorus riff from My Name Is Allen is used in the beginning of that song, at least a very similar chord progression.
Black John absolutely reprises the riff / progression of My Name is Allen.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

^Thought it was the same one.

No other reprises jumped out for me immediately, but there could be other things in it. I've only listened to the second part twice.

RuRo
Loyal Follower

Post by RuRo »

Andy92 wrote:Yeah I knew it was pretty much a reprise of Absolute Zero, but I still think the verse riff sounds a lot like the opening riff to Come What(ever) May.

I caught those 3 you mentioned. The only other song I kind of wondered about was Black John. Sounds kind of like the chorus riff from My Name Is Allen is used in the beginning of that song, at least a very similar chord progression.
I can kind of hear why you think it sounds a bit like Come What(ever) May, for some reason I was thinking of 30/30-150 :facepalm

The beginning of Black John reminded me of My Name As Allen as well, but I wasn't sure if it was actually deliberate or if they just sounded quite similar, especially since I've got no idea why those songs would be linked.

Oh, and '82 is still the best. Then Stalemate, The Conflagration, title track. Every song is actually good, only one I'm not a big fan of so far is Red City (Blue Smoke has the great lead into Do Me A Favor).

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Caught a couple other things, both in the title track at the end.

First one's obvious, just never mentioned it here, but the chanting of RU486 at the beginning.

Also, at the end of the song you can hear Corey screaming "where's my crucifix?" which was from Last of the Real on Part 1.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

This is a pretty decent album, but I actually prefer Part I over it. I like the fact that certain parts of songs from Part II refer to tracks from Part I and vice versa.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

Album is decent, about on par with part 1. I think I'm officially done with hard rock though, this kinda stuff just has no lasting appeal with me now. Grew bored of part 1 quickly and have no desire to listen to part 2 again now. Nothing against the album, just not my thing anymore.
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Peckinpah might be my favorite on the record after a few listens. It's so raw yet melodic all at once.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

All right, I am listening to part II, as part of my goal to listen to as much rock albums released in 2013 (this is my 2nd). I did not enjoy the first half of it, but the 2nd half has been really enjoyable to listen to on 1st listen.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Anyone have the physical copies of these new CDs? I just got around to reading the album inserts tonight. Corey's stories are pretty interesting, gives a huge insight about the album's meaning too.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Lyric video for The Uncanny Valley:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/7CPH5L7ip3A[/youtube]

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

Haven't watched the video yet, but I think it's extremely strange that they've released the two worst songs from the album as singles - which I assume this lyric video denotes. "The Uncanny Valley" is easily my least favorite track from the album. "Black John" would've been a much, much better single.