The Official BIG WRECK Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
agny
On The Rail

Re: The Official BIG WRECK Thread

Post by agny »

Yay! More U.S. touring please!
Alterations: Dec 2010, May 2011, August 2011x2, Sept 2011, Oct 2014x2

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

I don't think enough is said about the production on 'Albatross.' All the guitar tones and blends are so well done and the drum sound on a lot of tunes is very unlike a lot of modern stuff as if it's more dampened (Case in point: 'Glass Room' and 'Control'). So much ear candy.

EDIT: As I write I'm listening to this gem. (Love the revamped BW version)
[youtube]http://youtu.be/AUA8x7wuvtI[/youtube]

BUK
White Knuckled

Post by BUK »

Amen Nyte!

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

I've been listening to the album on repeat today. Unless Soundgarden impresses the heck out of me with their album, I think this will be my favorite of a good year of music.

I love the sound of the album - from quiet to loud, and even when loud there is space. I was reading the website the other day and Ian talks a bit about production and the album's style (http://bigwreckmusic.com/bigwreck/bigwreck/band.php):
"Big Wreck remains faithful to the Big Rock playbook but isn’t necessarily interested in the “so big it will eat your children” flavours of today. “I went for all the good stuff that’s missing on rock records these days,” says Ian in describing the recording process. “I wanted to avoid falling into the formulaic cookie-cutter trap. That’s not going to interest me so how can it interest the listener? I have to go with my gut, which means longer songs, intros and bridges which explore strange territories, more room for breathing and a different dynamic range or sonic palette altogether.” While contemplating the next studio sessions, Ian was listening to Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac and Thin Lizzy, finding a love of the textures in clean guitars against dry drums for creating a sonic backdrop that’s rarer today.

As important as finding a more natural approach to the aural landscape, Ian was also committed (and unencumbered!) to approach the recording technique in a way that would offer least obstruction. “The first Big Wreck was recorded really quickly, almost like high-performance demos. When we got signed, that’s what they put out and it worked,” he recalls. Albatross would be best served by following this same template: written free from outside influence, recorded fast in the studio to match the vibe that Ian wanted to capture. “There’s no other word for it other than ‘vibe’ – it may be a cliché but you know when it’s there and you definitely feel its absence when it’s not.”

Albatross was recorded over a period of four weeks in mid-2011 at Vespa studios in Toronto with producer Eric Ratz (Billy Talent, Cancer Bats). “Working with Eric is really easy and really fast. I worked with him on Come Again and it was a great experience in the studio—we’re like-minded, we get along, we appreciate the same sorts of sound. I don’t want too many opinions in the studio and his I trust.” For a trusted ally outside the studio, Big Wreck relied on Nick Raskulinecz (Foo Fighters, Rush), producer of Thornley’s Tiny Pictures, who extended his services as an ‘executive producer’ to Albatross. The band would send him songs in progress and he would return suggestions for possible avenues down which to proceed. “Nick’s a great song doctor. With Time, that was a song made of three songs which had to be sewn together like Frankenstein’s monster, only much prettier.”

Looking back at the recording studio, says Brian, is something of a blur. “It was lightning fast. Ian had so much already written that I just had to come in, pick out some guitar parts and, before you knew it, I was done! It was crazy fast but not stressful at all. It was great to be back in that scenario and to see Ian work in the way that he likes best. So reminiscent of those first Big Wreck days.”

So what about the songs themselves? It can safely be said that Big Wreck of 2012 follows naturally from where their songbook left off a decade earlier. “Some of these songs [on Albatross] have been kicking around since then. A riff here and there, a melody that was just looking for its home – especially true of Albatross [the song]. That main lick has been with me a long time, working some sort of Rod Stewart Maggie May vibe. Do What You Will has had different lyrics in its various incarnations but it has remained with me as I won’t deny I have a soft spot for beer-chugging rock anthems.” Ian has an admitted soft spot for Led Zeppelin and All Is Fair treads a not-dissimilar path. “I’ve always been honest and open about my feelings for Mr. Page,” grins Ian.

Head Together was created by layering, over and over, vocals that almost – but not quite – line up. “I wanted to hear what it would be like to do 20 vocal lines on top of one another and then begin picking notes over top, in-between and around.” Putting new spins on old forms is a never-ending process of discovery. “You Caught My Eye has to be the most straight-up blues song I’ve ever done, which actually gave me lots of opportunity to play within that structure for solo’ing, different lyrical approaches and more. The guitar sound came first and everything else followed.”"

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Also on the Q&A pages, one about Myles:
"...How did those sessions with him go on TPAG? Considering, you and he are always mentioned in the same breath for VR frontman, and he has since become quite the hot property, do you still keep in contact with Myles? Can you ever see working with him again?"
"...But yeah I stay in touch with Myles. A great guy, and a wonderful singer. We have talked many times over the years about doing something together, and I'm sure if it's meant to happen it will. When he sang on 'Breakthrough' it was just a matter of asking him. He was spending some time in L.A. when we were recording there, and during one of our late night hangs I'm sure it was just a matter of "dude, you wanna sing on one of my tunes?" "sure!"."

Didn't know Myles was on one of their tracks. They sound awesome together!
[youtube]http://youtu.be/80fLSxnkn8M[/youtube]

BUK
White Knuckled

Post by BUK »

agny, those are all my questions. I did that interview with Ian. There's about 75 more questions they still haven't posted!!!

BUK
White Knuckled

Post by BUK »

And just in case anyone is interested....

http://www.bukworx.com/bwfg/

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/uHcOLrq57y4[/youtube]

Oh my god!

BUK
White Knuckled

Post by BUK »

Great work, but really, WHAT A GREAT SONG!!!!

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

That's incredible, took me a few seconds to figure out what was going on. Hope that guy's in his own band too.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Wow, incredibible! That guy sounded so much like Thornley! He did an amazing job on everything!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

I really love that tune. Man, I love that song, I love that song..
..Anyways, awesome version! Love that Big Wreck baseball shirt, too. Now I'm tempted to learn this song myself. Great voice!

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

While I'm at it:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/iwhOGKV2zLI[/youtube]
Underrated song on an underrated album.

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

Big Wreck is announcing a legit cross-Canada tour with Theory of a Deadman starting in Halifax on November 16th. Fuck yeah!
http://www.ourhometown.ca/windsor/news/NL0152.php

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

First decent quality video of this tune I've seen. That solo is disgusting.
[youtube]http://youtu.be/t6xmMC7j1vg[/youtube]

Guitar geek heaven:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/4WYm_VWbGDs[/youtube]

Rosenblaetter
Loyal Follower

Post by Rosenblaetter »

I really like Dave McMillian on bass but I can't watch him... the way he walks back and forth really distracts me :-P
FYI I'm a woman.
--------------------
Past shows: Alter Bridge 10.11 NL, Kensington 11.11 NL, Alter Bridge 16.11 PL
Future shows: Kensington 15.02 DE, Kensington 17.02 PL, Rival Sons 18.02 PL

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

I'm of the opinion this song from Tiny Pictures should be in the BW setlist.
[youtube]http://youtu.be/NSUbVQGi5Ys[/youtube]

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Every song on Tiny Pictures would be fine with me tbh :D 'This Is Where My Heart Is' or 'Be There For Me' would be incredible though!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

Pretty much every track from TINY PICTURES is epic live. I was lucky to catch Thornley in TO a few years ago in support of it, and it was such an insanely awesome show. I still love that album to bits.

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

I've been listening to it the last couple of days myself. I forgot how good it is. Impressive that all the instrumentation on that album is all Ian with Daniel Adair on drums. Proves again how much of a beast Thornicus is.

What band lineup did he have when you saw them, devv?