The Official BIG WRECK Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
BUK
White Knuckled

Re: The Official BIG WRECK Thread

Post by BUK »

More Suhr treats.
Thank you John.
Always Loved this.
https://youtu.be/pdEPCABXzhM

And an isolation on the Albatross theme…
Just so classic.
https://youtu.be/y5YsCssU6bw

Rosenblaetter
Loyal Follower

Post by Rosenblaetter »

Sweet!
FYI I'm a woman.
--------------------
Past shows: Alter Bridge 10.11 NL, Kensington 11.11 NL, Alter Bridge 16.11 PL
Future shows: Kensington 15.02 DE, Kensington 17.02 PL, Rival Sons 18.02 PL

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

The new solo album dropped today. Just about through listening to it, and still, I'm not finding that it's grabbing me the way previous material by Thornley has. The instrumentation is lovely and worth sinking your teeth into, but the melodies aren't grabbing me. The best two songs are 6-7 years old: "Just to Know I Can" and (my favourite) "Stop and Think". And I had my fingers crossed that "Provide" and "All I Need" would show up under different titles, but alas...

Maybe this one is a grower.

BUK
White Knuckled

Post by BUK »

Let it marinate.... I've been listening for months. Ian said he wanted to create some wallpaper/background music.... like not "in your face" demanding like BW tends to be. Yet, it's VERY deep and engaging in a quiet, personal way....

Also, I had expectations for this to be on it....
https://youtu.be/N_oqwnzT9TM

And the old timey "All I Need".

It's a snapshot of 2 weeks in the midst of personal changes and should be regarded as such. Yes it's a grower.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Does anyone know where to buy this in the UK? I can't find it on Itunes and it's not on Amazon, I'd be surprised if it's not released here, especially as he did that Birmingham clinic.

EDIT - just downloaded it off his website, looking forward to giving it a listen!

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

I like it so far. It's like a really good intimate pub jam/gig. I feel like the vocal performance on Frozen Pond gets it off to a weak start but then it's a great record. Cut down to 45 mins or so on a vinyl would be great.

BUK
White Knuckled

Post by BUK »

Throwin' down a little Gypsy...
https://youtu.be/7bqU7VqP4Gk

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

On My Way is a fantastic song. It's definitely got a great wistful and hopeful atmosphere about it. I love Ian's lower register as well. An underused part of his voice.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I'm enjoying the album. It took a while to grow on me but I once got back from work in a shitty mood and the album really calmed me down. I think the album leaves a bit to be desired vocally though, Ian has a great voice with a really good range, but it doesn't really show on this album. Stay, Secrets, Stop and Think and the new version of Blown Wide Open are the highlights for me.

BUK
White Knuckled

Post by BUK »

Nice presentation...
https://youtu.be/TcYWDlJ6itI

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

I'm also enjoying the album, but I agree that the vocal performances are holding it back. It's nice for it to feel like a raw, off the cuff kind of recording, but it sacrifices longevity and memorability for it, and that's disappointing. You can even see in that live video above how much more comfortable Ian is already getting with the material - and that, sadly, makes the album feel like a batch of demos to a final product that we'll never get. Too bad, but still very enjoyable.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Sometimes the vocals are bang on, like On My Way but then sometimes it really sounds like he's having an off day. Like you say, it's a massive shame as Ian is hands down my favourite vocalist normally. He especially used to shine on acoustic stuff but something is off on some of these performances.

I love the stripped down nature of the instrumentation and hope that he carries on doing these quieter albums alongside Big Wreck but the vocals may need more work next time.

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

I loved the flow of the solo album. An acoustic while also having a Lanoisesque vibe made for a good mix. Like I really dug 'On My Way' which reminded me a bit of Buckley and 'Frozen Pond' which was a great combination of Knopfler and Lanois features while still being authentically Ian. I feel like he implied that he'd do an album like this when he put together a lot of acoustic based numbers on Thornley's 'Tiny Pictures' album and I'm glad he saw followed up. Personal favorites are the overall catchy nature of 'Eloise' and the undeniably impactful 'All Along'.

BUK
White Knuckled

Post by BUK »

BUK
White Knuckled

Post by BUK »

BUK
White Knuckled

Post by BUK »

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

Made it out to the Toronto solo show on Wednesday. I must say, the album sounds much better live than on the album. There's still a few melodic choices I'm not a huge fan of, but on the whole the tracks sound much more polished live.

BUK
White Knuckled

Post by BUK »

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Mistake-Big Wreck I like that song.

BUK
White Knuckled