The Official BIG WRECK Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
BUK
White Knuckled

Re: The Official BIG WRECK Thread

Post by BUK »

Did you all see this????
Ian says he LOVES it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT7AyGYcVRI

BUK
White Knuckled

Post by BUK »

The original demo of Might Be the End. The solo just screams! The poor recording masks a ballsier, more Zep feel to the track. Soooo much meatier than the Tiny Pictures recording which took on a more Floydian feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjWbc5QiCe4

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

Looks like the new single is 'A Million Days'!
http://www.theq.fm/music/soundcheck-0021/
Hope we get a video on Youtube soon.

Rosenblaetter
Loyal Follower

Post by Rosenblaetter »

Not exactly the best choice for a single?
Some radio stations seem to share my point of view...
http://www.cfox.com/countdowns/cfoxtop20.aspx
FYI I'm a woman.
--------------------
Past shows: Alter Bridge 10.11 NL, Kensington 11.11 NL, Alter Bridge 16.11 PL
Future shows: Kensington 15.02 DE, Kensington 17.02 PL, Rival Sons 18.02 PL

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

Rosenblaetter wrote:Not exactly the best choice for a single?
Every song on this album is single-worthy, and I honestly mean that. Not in the "they're all of single quality" kind of way, but in that I could hear any of them being equally successful at the right radio station. That being said, "A Million Days" seems like an obvious choice.

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

Rosenblaetter wrote:Not exactly the best choice for a single?
I saw that too. I'd be just as happy with 'Glass Room' as a single, if not happier. I suppose if it were a single it would entice them to make it a staple in their live set... Plus I'd love a video for it.

Rosenblaetter
Loyal Follower

Post by Rosenblaetter »

devv88 wrote: Every song on this album is single-worthy, and I honestly mean that. Not in the "they're all of single quality" kind of way, but in that I could hear any of them being equally successful at the right radio station. That being said, "A Million Days" seems like an obvious choice.
I find only two songs less enjoyable on this record and it's - first time ever in my music listening experience - the beginning and the end of the album.
Nevertheless: 'Albatross' is still my favourite record of the year 2012.
FYI I'm a woman.
--------------------

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I kinda share your opinion. Those 2 songs don't really do anything for me, but the rest of the album is so incredibly good.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

Wait, what two songs? Now I'm confused.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

The first song and the last song on the record :lol 'Head Together' and 'Time'
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

Ohhhhhh! Yeah, I agree on 'Head Together'.. I find myself skipping it all the time. As far as 'Time' goes I've gotta be in a certain mood to really enjoy it.

BUK
White Knuckled

Post by BUK »

Head Together is one of my FAVES!!! It bounces and CRUSHES! It never fails to put me in a great mood. The ocal wash cleanses my mind and then energizes me. It's also a GREAT sing-a-long! (my grandson loves it) But then again, I like XTC even without the crunch.

As far as Time goes, for months it got to me emotionally every listen. It's beautiful prog-pop with such a tight lyric/sonic connection. It requires attention to be paid when you listen and it HAS to be heard on a great system. It's also a from more seasoned writer's perspective and may be hard for younger peeps to relate.

No surprise, I think EVERY song is single worthy, like Devv!

I really just LOVE that we're still talking about the CD many months later!

Albatross is going to be released in the USA in a few weeks and it has been picked up by 6 stations so far!!!!
Here are 4 of them....
KAZR Des Moines, IA
WOTT Watertown, NY
WQXA Harrisburg, PA
WTKX Pensacola, FL

Rosenblaetter
Loyal Follower

Post by Rosenblaetter »

BUK wrote:
I really just LOVE that we're still talking about the CD many months later!
I think I'll be talking about this CD even some years from now.
'Control' or 'Glass Room' are already on my list of private 'classics'.

I still cannot understand how a band like this can be so underrated... Not to mention that here - in Europe - BR is totally unknown.
FYI I'm a woman.
--------------------

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

Got my ticket to the tour opener in Halifax today. Super stoked for Big Wreck.... Theory of a Deadman? Not so much.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Please tell me Big Wreck are headlining? I could have seen Theory live supporting AB, but I somewhat purposely arrived late after they played their set :lol

Albatross is a brilliant album, although I do tend to skip You Caught My Eye and possibly Time depending on my mood. I think I prefer Albatross to their older albums, although I haven't really heard them fully, I do think there's some brilliant songs on their first album though. In regards to Head Together, I don't think it's a bad song, it's quite a good song, but it's just not up to the same standard of all the other songs on the album, although that's not a bad thing, it just so happens that songs like Wolves, A Million Days, Glass Room and All Is Fair and a lot better than it! I'm so glad I bought this album, because it really is brilliant. Glass Room is the best song on the album, easily, I could listen to it all day.

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

It's billed as a double headliner and rumour has it Big Wreck closes the show on the East Coast and Theory closes the show on the West Coast so it looks as if I'll have to sit through a Theory set, have a few beer during the Theory set or show up late. My biggest hope is that 'Glass Room' makes it into the set for this leg of the tour. So far the only live video I've been able to find online is the 'Fox Uninvited Guest' one.

'You Caught My Eye' took me a little time to warm up to but I consistently listen to it now. The licks Ian plays in the solos are too wild to skip for me.

itaughttremonti
TABN.com Citizen

Post by itaughttremonti »

'Time' is dope!

BUK
White Knuckled

Post by BUK »

They're out on tour again. Keep your eyes out for some live vids in the coming days. Ian promises some surprises in the setlist too.

Rosenblaetter
Loyal Follower

Post by Rosenblaetter »

Europe will stick to You Tube. I guess that's all we can do.
Bummer...
FYI I'm a woman.
--------------------

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

http://thechronicleherald.ca/artslife/1 ... c.facebook
Big Wreck’s rockers get back on the road again

Relaunching the monolithic rock sound of Big Wreck was not a task to be taken lightly, so the band tested the Canadian waters with a handful of shows this summer, including a stop at the New Glasgow Riverfront Jubilee.

The band soon found that the crowd that made its 1997 debut In Loving Memory Of … a success at home and in the United States was still out there and with the spring release of the new album Albatross gaining traction, it was time to take the plunge and do a full-on tour.

“It was great, the whole summer was a lot of fly-in, weekend warrior-type of shows, so it was hard to get a rhythm going with the band and the crew,” says singer-guitarist Ian Thornley, who hits Halifax Forum’s Multi-Purpose Centre on Saturday with Theory of a Deadman.

“But, in another sense, it’s a whole new experience setting up in a different place every week, but I do remember New Glasgow as being particularly a good night.

“I was getting the vibe that the audience was well-lubed, for sure.”

After recording and touring for most of the past decade as the eponymous act Thornley, the Toronto musician began the process of rebuilding the Big Wreck brand in 2010, when he got back in touch with its co-founder, guitarist Brian Doherty, and floated the idea of segueing from Thornley back into the band that had split up in 2002.

As it turns out, it wasn’t that difficult a transition.

“I think the way we conduct ourselves personally is a lot different,” explains Thornley.

“We’ve learned more about what not to do when situations arise. When you’ve been on the road for too long, it’s real easy to get negative, and one of the things we’ve become cognizant of is keeping things really positive and really light.

“We’ve got a great bunch of guys with us right now, and it’s actually become a lot easier than it used to be. We’ve just learned to stop and smell the roses a little bit more.”

Now signed to Anthem Records (a.k.a. the label that Rush built), Big Wreck has provided listeners with Albatross, a contemporary rock radio record that is as big and dramatic as you would expect from the group, but with elements of indie, blues and folk that present a broader palette and shows it has grown up with its audience.

“We didn’t set out to make any kind of record in particular, but that’s what I hear, and that’s what I like,” Thornley says.

“The fact that we’re having a reaction at radio is always a bonus. It’s gravy for me because I still enjoy listening to it, and there was no conscious effort to make anything other than what the songs wanted to be.

“There was no meddling; ‘Oh, this is what’s current’ or ‘This is the sound that people are going for this week.’ There was none of that. It was just a refreshing and fun record to make. And a lot of it does translate live because the form of the songs gives us a lot of room to play around and get a bit self-indulgent at times.”

As for the title — and the title track — Albatross, its origin comes from the famous phrase “an albatross around your neck” from The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge, which has come to mean a situation where something you love becomes something that weighs you down.

There are other interpretations as well, from the graceful flight of something as ungainly as the giant seabird to a classic Monty Python sketch, but Thornley’s initial meaning was the literary one.

“The line popped up at the end of the chorus, and it kind of describes what music is to me, so we just went with that, thinking the phrase was a little better known than it is, I guess.

“People are still asking, ‘What’s with the giant seagull reference, man?’ Like, I’m not actually singing about the bird, it’s about carrying it around. I just thought it was a slightly new take on an age-old theme for a rock song.”

Tickets for Friday’s Theory of a Deadman and Big Wreck show at the Multi-Purpose Centre are $42.50 at all Ticketpro outlets (1-888-311-9090 or ticketpro.ca). The venue has separate all-ages/19-plus areas and showtime is 8 p.m.
Tour opener tomorrow. Stoked. Expect some sort of review and songs played this weekend. I like what BUK's saying about some surprises. Holding out hope for 'Glass Room', 'Might Be The End', and 'Under The Lighthouse'.