The Official SHINEDOWN Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Andy92
You Waste Your Time

The Official SHINEDOWN Thread

Post by Andy92 »

Post away!!
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: The Official SHINEDOWN Thread

Post by gbruin »

Fly From The Inside is one of the greatest songs. Ever.

I love SD, though I'm probably more partial to their older stuff lately.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Us & Them is my favorite Shinedown record, and Shed Some Light is probably my favorite song. I do like how they have a fresh sound on every album though. Amaryllis surprised me with how good it was top to bottom, although some may not agree. The first 2 albums will always hold a special place in my musical catalog though because I pretty much know they'll never have that sound again.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Andy92 wrote:Us & Them is my favorite Shinedown record, and Shed Some Light is probably my favorite song. I do like how they have a fresh sound on every album though. Amaryllis surprised me with how good it was top to bottom, although some may not agree. The first 2 albums will always hold a special place in my musical catalog though because I pretty much know they'll never have that sound again.
I think that's a good way to describe it. I like really Amaryllis a lot, too. But there was something really special about being blown away on those first couple albums. Maybe I just now kind of assume the new ones will be so good too that I don't have that same surprise and appreciation.

Apparently, I'm a spoiled brat. :)
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

RuRo
Loyal Follower

Post by RuRo »

Shed Some Light is one of my favourite songs from Us And Them as well.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/PR7sLCGs_jg[/youtube]

My favourite album is Sound Of Madness. That and Us And Them are two great albums through and through. I like Amaryllis, especially the uniqueness of every song on the album, but overall the shift in style is away from what I'd prefer to hear and it lacks standout songs as good as the past two albums. Also, I'm not really a fan of Bully or Amaryllis. It's roughly on par with Leave A Whisper, both are very different though.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

Shinedown is my second favorite band. Actually I guess it's tied with Evanescence. I love unique singers with a lot of charisma. Brent just has it.

I really like Amaryllis. I'm not impressed by it per se, but I like to listen to it. I feel the same way about AB III. I'll listen to it all day long, but the pro tooled polish makes it hard to form a connection with it. Sonically, Amaryllis, it's very 'synthetic' for a lack of a better word - as is Sound of Madness. Whereas Us and Them and Leave a Whisper were more raw rock - they had a lot of character.

AB's sound has followed a similar pattern unfortunately.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I loved the bonus tracks on Us & Them too. Break and Carried Away are some of my favorite Shinedown songs.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Yeah, I love Son of Sam (though a lot of fans hate that one) and I like I Own You.

Paint it black and white if you like, the story's still the same

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Anyone else notice I Own You and Miracle have the same verse melodies? Or at least similar.

RuRo
Loyal Follower

Post by RuRo »

Son Of Sam was one of my favourites from Sound Of Madness and Shinedown in general. When I went to see them (I didn't see them when they were in Scotland recently but a couple of years ago) I knew they wouldn't play the bonus tracks from Sound Of Madness unfortunately, but hoped to hear my favourite tracks from the main album... but it seems they played nearly every track on the album except the best two (What A Shame and Sin With A Grin), which was disappointing. Especially since they wasted so much time on "crowd interaction" sections.

And yeah, I noticed that I Own You and Miracle have the same verse vocals. I think it's very obvious as other people I know who have heard the albums noticed straight away as well. Pretty strange since they are completely different type of songs.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Sound Of Madness had some good stuff although it's probably my least favorite Shinedown record overall. It doesn't have that many weak songs on it though, just shows how much I like the band. I hope they do another song like Call Me in the future. I'll Follow You is an amazing piano ballad, but it has some full band sections. I liked the stripped down simplicity of Call Me a lot.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

They played Son of Sam for one of the shows I went to. He lipped it, so it wasn't that cool to hear.

As far as the crowd participation, it depends on how big the show is. I've saw them locally in a smaller venue, they didn't do anything. But when I saw them at an arena Brent actually walked through the crowd for a good 20 minutes. And they still had a big set. I think they went over on that particular show though. He said "damn we're 20 minutes late... and it's gonna cost us about 45 thousand dollars... but its rock and roll" and they played Simple Man. It was pretty cool. One of the best shows I've seen.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

They were my favorite act at Rock on the Range this year for sure.

steve987
Bought The CDs

Post by steve987 »

I came here to say that 'The Sound of Madness' is possibly one of the best albums my ears have had the pleasure to listen to.
"Cause the Sun always sets, The moon always falls, It feels like the end, Just pay no mind at all, Keep rolling, rolling, Life must go on."

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: unlike my EGO!!!!

Post by zazthespaz »

They just did an acoustic performance on Conan tonight of Unity - fairly decent, worth a watch.
As far as the latest album - good, but nothing spectacular in my opinion. I got over it pretty quick.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

They lost me after Us and Them. That and Leave a Whisper were fantastic. The Sound of Madness had some good hooks but other than that it bored me to tears.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

What a shame, what a shame, to judge a life that you can't change...

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

See, i got into Shinedown in 2003/04 and "Leave A Whisper" was/is one of the greatest debut rock records, i believe, ever written.. The theming of the whole record, the riffs, the styling.. All of it blows me away..

Then they released "Us & Them".. And ruined it. Jasin and Brent were off their faces throughout the entire writing process, i like maybe 3 or 4 songs off the whole record and havent listened to it start to finish for maybe 5/6 years. I was let down by it immensely.. Then Jasin left and i was gutted because as a live guitarist and "rockstar" i loved him.

The Sound Of Madness was a totally new direction for Shinedown. They've become a very new-age, digital, somewhat choreographed rock band. The whole album is fantastic, from top to bottom it is very well produced, very well written and has some badass riffs and melodies in.

Amaryllis was the perfect step to take for them, i love the whole album and appreciate the message they put across.
I can honestly say, having seen Shinedown 5 times live and spent time with the old line up backstage a bit; they are in my top 5 bands and im planning on getting their logo tattooed into my next sleeve. I love Shinedown and have done for near 10 years... AWESOME BAND

Dont know why i wanted to rant like that lol

foz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by foz »

Another band that really stood out for me at Download Festival this year, they put on a really solid show start to finish. Absolutely one of the festival highlights, just wish they had a longer set.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I thought Us & Them was amazing personally.