The Official SHINEDOWN Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Re: The Official SHINEDOWN Thread

Post by Mr. Slash »

Well, at least Nickelback is not able to use a wah pedal themselves. Not remotely on the same level as faking guitar solos, but still pretty embarassing if you ask me.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

I think that's more them just wanting to be able to be free on stage, but they don't cover that up. Shinedown lies about this lip syncing shit.
Thanks Timo!

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

austinjhnsn wrote: Shinedown lies about this lip syncing shit.
Really??? Haha, now i totally lost my respect for that band.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

austinjhnsn wrote: Shinedown lies about this lip syncing shit.
Not saying that they should lie, but idk, if it brings more fans to shows..... I don't know how it could hurt.

Although yea, it is dishonest. So there's that.

Drowning Pool got a lot of flak awhile back for lip singing their whole set.

Anyways, I've been listening to some of the more obscure Shinedown songs, such as Emptiness Man, Dirthouse, Trade yourself in demo, junkies for fame, her name is alice, im alive and the three bonus tracks from their third album. Also, that includes the old bands the singer used to be in: Dreve and Blind Thought.

PRS10Top
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PRS10Top »

Love Shinedown. The new album took a while to grow on me, too. But once it did, I very much enjoy it in it's own light.

I saw them live w/Breaking Benjamin and Sevendust. It was a phenomenal show. I wasn't super close to the stage, but Brent didn't appear to be lip synching and he even varied some vocals from the album. It seemed genuine.

The guitar, on the other hand, seemed canned. Zach is a great guitar player and I'm sure he played all riffs and solos....at one point. I'm just not sure he played them for real in front of me. There were too many clean/dirty changes and effects changes that just seemed effortless. Who knows, maybe somebody backstage is running his pedalboard and it all is genuine? I can't say for sure.

From a pure entertainment perspective, however, the show was unreal. Best pyrotechnics I've seen and the energy is insane.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Technology these days makes it so you don't have to tap dance on a pedal board to do all those effects. Just look at periphery, those guys run three guitarists and the effects change throughout the song based on the click track, all from a computer.
Thanks Timo!

PRS10Top
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PRS10Top »

hopefully, you're right. I don't blame him if he uses pre-configured switching.

I guess it's just hard to go from a show like Alter Bridge where Myles's voice is unique every night and Mark's guitar playing sounds different from the record. Not different in a bad way, just different in that you can tell he is playing it live. It's just raw, organic sound that AB puts out live and while it doesn't sound 100% like it's mastered in a studio, I love it and it's real.

Same can be said for BB's sound, too. Those guys are definitely playing.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

The pyro on that tour was nuts lol. I was at one of the shows in November.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

PRS10Top
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PRS10Top »

Shinedown is touring in the fall with....FFDP? I like both bands but they don't seem like a completely logical choice to put together. I may try to catch one of the shows but none are very near me unfortunately.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

I found some other good Shinedown performances listed below:
Emptiness man, trade yourself in demo, sitting on dock of bay, and dirthouse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyFo_Zi1p_4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru9GxMZ7Wpk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCp2sySZA04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f13wRShO6sA

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Used to be a fan. Just got way too poppy over the last two records.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Shinedown denied lip syncing? Awkward

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

It's all part of their HR strategy.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Long time ago I asked Brad Stewart on facebook why Shinedown split (Jason and Brad left long time ago).

Brad replied that it had to do with music business stuff. He then said that he didnt want to throw anybody under the bus so I just left it at that.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

Looks like these guys are already working on a new album. Brent posted a picture of them in the studio saying they were working on new material.

Hope it goes back to a more rock style than Threat To Survival.
Thanks Andy!

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

I hope so too, this is one of those bands where their best album was their first. Sound of Madness was pretty great too.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

AB4Lyfe wrote:I hope so too, this is one of those bands where their best album was their first. Sound of Madness was pretty great too.
Agreed. I liked Us & Them and Amaryllis for what they were. Us & Them more than Amaryllis. Threat to Survival was pretty forgettable in my opinion.
Thanks Andy!

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

One of the most disappointing bands simply due to the fact that their first album was so incredible and then they literally just kept going downhill. I've given up on them going back to that simply because of who they are now. Not even close to the same band.

Just discovered a bonus track from LAW called Start Over. Its got a really nice almost Alice In Chains vibe, makes me feel all sorts of nostalgia. Another testament to how great that first album was.
Thanks Timo!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Start Over is a really great track, a true hidden gem if you keep digging from songs during the Leave A Whisper era.

I wouldn't say they've gone downhill since Leave A Whisper. Us & Them is still tremendous to me. Sound of Madness, while didn't reach the heights of the first two, was still a good album that streamlined themselves to the mainstream (pretty much, their Black album) and is their best seller and the singles are pretty damn good. Amaryllis is where they started going downhill with stuff like Bully and I'm Not Alright, but still had some decent songs. Threat To Survival was just not that great.

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

As always: US AND THEM is their best album. Hands down.