The Official SHINEDOWN Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
RuRo
Loyal Follower

Re: The Official SHINEDOWN Thread

Post by RuRo »

TenaciousBe wrote:I agree with Jim's assessment that the early albums were the best, and how they took on this "synthetic" sound over the course of time. This new album... I don't know, when I heard that the first single was going to be called "Bully" and that's exactly what it was about, it really turned me off. It's a noble enough topic, but it just screamed to me "let's cash in on a hot button media issue." Aside from that and Unity (which has the same feel), I have yet to sit down and listen through the new album. I know I should, but they really pushed away my interest with that song. Which is ludicrous, I know, but... still.
Didn't like the sound of Bully, the subject matter or the lyrics (not because it's a "hot button" or anything), but imo Bully is the worst by far on the album. It's worth listening to even if you're put off by that song.

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

Jim wrote:
psycosquirrel789 wrote:Those soundcheck videos are everything that's wrong with Shinedown.
News flash, its 2012. I dont love the lip-syncing (if any there), but the production and big sound is what we have to expect from the business in this day and age.

If you want purely analog music, go back in time
Yeah, have to completely disagree with you here. There are a massive number of bands out there who are still dedicated to a) writing their own music and b) letting their passion and their raw, often imperfect talent help them connect with their fans. I don't care if Brent's voice cracks all night and the instrumentation occasionally sounds a bit empty because there are no backing tracks; I will take an honest, flawed performance any day.

And this is SHINEDOWN we're talking about here. This band was one of the most impressive live acts in their scene for YEARS - basically up until the point that Perri left the band. What they've become (specifically in terms of their live show) is a pale imitation to what these guys are capable of.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

devv88 wrote:
Jim wrote:
psycosquirrel789 wrote:Those soundcheck videos are everything that's wrong with Shinedown.
News flash, its 2012. I dont love the lip-syncing (if any there), but the production and big sound is what we have to expect from the business in this day and age.

If you want purely analog music, go back in time
Yeah, have to completely disagree with you here. There are a massive number of bands out there who are still dedicated to a) writing their own music and b) letting their passion and their raw, often imperfect talent help them connect with their fans. I don't care if Brent's voice cracks all night and the instrumentation occasionally sounds a bit empty because there are no backing tracks; I will take an honest, flawed performance any day.

And this is SHINEDOWN we're talking about here. This band was one of the most impressive live acts in their scene for YEARS - basically up until the point that Perri left the band. What they've become (specifically in terms of their live show) is a pale imitation to what these guys are capable of.
Exactly. Foo Fighters put out quite possibly their best album to date last year, recorded on tape in Dave's garage (granted, his "garage" was turned into a pretty legit studio, but still).
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

devv88 wrote: I don't care if Brent's voice cracks all night and the instrumentation occasionally sounds a bit empty because there are no backing tracks; I will take an honest, flawed performance any day.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Hey i totally prefer bands like Alter Bridge and Black Stone Cherry when they plug in and play!

But i cant deny the imminent changes that come with the music business today. So many successful bands use click tracks, backing tracks, auto tune, filler tracks, wireless systems etc etc etc.. Its all going to go the way Shinedown are doing it today, and the shows actually LOOK amazing. They come across to the un-trained eye as an amazing performance.

Believe me, as a hardcore music fan, semi-musician and avid concert goer; theres nothing worse than seeing lip syncing or noticing that its not live in every single way. Im just accepting that some bands do it the "new age" way, like Shinedown and 3 Doors Down

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

Jim wrote:Im just accepting that some bands do it the "new age" way, like Shinedown and 3 Doors Down
Whoa, whoa, whoa. I've seen 3DD a bunch of times live (albeit not in a couple of years), and I've never noticed any new-age shenanigans. Am I missing something?

tRuth Alone
Brand New Start

Post by tRuth Alone »

Personally I don't have a problem with a small amount of "assistance" live. I've been to gigs in the past (Def Leppard & Whitesnake both instantly come to mind) when the vocals just haven't been up to it and consequently I came away a bit disappointed - not good when you've forked out £50+ for a ticket However, there is a balance to be struck of course. Unfortunately, I've not seen SD live (missed them here in UK in Feb :( ) so can't really speak for their gigs...

Favourite tracks of mine would be Save Me, Second Chance, Better Version, Nowhere Kids. That's one from each album!

On a separate issue, I thought Bully was a poor single choice. Adrenalin would have been far better.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

devv88 wrote:
Jim wrote:Im just accepting that some bands do it the "new age" way, like Shinedown and 3 Doors Down
Whoa, whoa, whoa. I've seen 3DD a bunch of times live (albeit not in a couple of years), and I've never noticed any new-age shenanigans. Am I missing something?
Absolutely. The guys are far from a "plug in and play" band

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

tRuth Alone wrote:
On a separate issue, I thought Bully was a poor single choice. Adrenaline would have been far better.
Adrenaline was chosen as the "Extreme Rules" PPV theme song this year by WWE. Fitted in very well!

[youtube]http://youtu.be/RXXTupHX3yo[/youtube]

Quite enjoyed seeing them get such massive exposure

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

Jim wrote:
devv88 wrote:
I'm very curious about this. What kind of production enhancements have they used? And have they always done so? Must've been pretty subtle if I never noticed it all of those times I saw them live.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Heard Adrenaline playing last night on a baseball game as well. I remember hearing Bully and Enemies on sporting events a while ago too. This record is getting some big exposure.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Merinda
Sig Queen

Post by Merinda »

Listened to some of Sound Of Madness today. I forgot what a fantastic song Breaking Inside is.

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

Shinedown are so meh
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

Merinda
Sig Queen

Post by Merinda »

You're meh!

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

SQUARE GO!!
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

BastiMix
Loyal Follower

Post by BastiMix »

devv88 wrote:
Jim wrote:
devv88 wrote:
I'm very curious about this. What kind of production enhancements have they used? And have they always done so? Must've been pretty subtle if I never noticed it all of those times I saw them live.
They used additional guitar parts, orchestra sections and backing vocals (sometimes more than just backing) from tape. When I first saw them in February 2009, they were all live.
Please give them a like :)

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

BastiMix wrote:
They used additional guitar parts, orchestra sections and backing vocals (sometimes more than just backing) from tape. When I first saw them in February 2009, they were all live.
Well that explains it, I guess. I haven't seen them play in a few of years. I caught three or four of their shows over a couple of years between '07 and '09, but never since. Shame if they're doing this now.

QwikSand
TABN.com Citizen

Post by QwikSand »

The version of Breaking Inside with Lzzy from Halestorm is excellent too.

BastiMix
Loyal Follower

Post by BastiMix »

New and hilarious video for Enemies :D
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/ ... deo-553175
Please give them a like :)

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Yeah i love that video, a total spoof but funny! Glad to see Brent's video miming has gotten better

The Unity video is amazing too..!