The Official SHINEDOWN Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: The Official SHINEDOWN Thread

Post by Andy92 »

That's pretty much how I look at it. This is far from their best single, but I think it's a lot better than Bully.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

True, it is better than Bully after giving it a few more listens. I was probably a little harsh at first but it still doesnt feel as genuine as the first 3 albums Shinedown created. Im not trying to say I dont want this band to evolve, they're just evolving in a way that doesnt suit my tastes at times, which is totally fine.

And the whole Tremonti thing, its kinda like how, for example, Them Bones and Chtmixeur arent the biggest fans of where he's gone with his music. Im just that way with Shinedown, but i will still listen and give it a chance.
Thanks Timo!

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

About a thousand times better than "Bully", but that's still not saying very much. Still very much done with these guys, sadly.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I think I liked Bully better, even though the lyrics of that song were horrible. It at least was a bit memorable.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Andy92 wrote:I don't expect everyone to like every song, but the whole "why can't they sound like they did 10+ years ago" thing gets old after a while. Some bands do really go downhill as they go, but sometimes bands just change to a style you don't like as much.

On the other side, I've read a handful of reviews of the new Breaking Benjamin album that can basically be summed up as "solid record, but I feel like I've heard the songs before." It's hard for a band to find that perfect mix that everyone likes.
It is hard to find that perfect mix, indeed, but why do I still manage to enjoy Failure, even though it's very similar to The Diary of Jane and is the 1st Breaking Benjamin song in 6 years, better than Shinedown's Cut the Cord (their 1st song in three years) as lead singles.

On another note, as a sign that we are growing really old, The Sound of Madness album was released 7 years ago. Those damn hit singles from that album still feel very fresh and recent to me.

BastiMix
Loyal Follower

Post by BastiMix »

Please give them a like :)

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

^Same, I blasted that shit for weeks.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I remember people hating The Sound of Madness when it first released too. That one was a drastic change from their first two records, but it's arguably their most popular. Shoot, I know a handful of people that think Leave A Whisper is their only good album. I think their four albums have all had a signature sound to them. That makes it easy to find one record you love, but hard to love them all.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

I like Cut The Cord...a little. It's not very catchy. I liked Bully, and am proud to say so. That song is fucking awesome.

I'm going to keep giving Cut The Cord a few runs through, I'm a big Shinedown fan, I love the first 3 albums and about half of Amaryllis. Hopefully album #5 doesn't disappoint.
Thanks Andy!

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Crazy how stuff grows on ya... Actually starting to enjoy this song.. wow :P
Thanks Timo!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/9itwt_opsvQ[/youtube]

Yea okay, I like it better than Bully. Still pretty average though. The choir is so silly.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I'll be honest. It is growing on me. That stated, something does seem a bit off from what I expect from Shinedown, though I do not know what.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I don't care for the "freedom" part. But I'll probably get used to it. I really like the riff, simple as it is. I almost have no choice but to like it, as my 10 year old has fallen in love with Shinedown in the last year. I told him they have a new album, and they'll probably be hitting our town (an he gave me a high 5) so I imagine we'll go see them.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Just watched the video and heard the song for the first time..is this really the same band that released songs like "I Dare You"? The only thing in my mind was "Man, this sounds like a poor man's Hollywood Undead." The only things missing were longer "rapping" laced with profanity and masks in the video. Very disappointed...I used to love Shinedown up until the last album and this first single was not a good first impression at all for what's to come..hopefully I'm wrong and the album is better
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

AHart96 wrote:is this really the same band that released songs like "I Dare You"?
Well, there was a change in 50% of their lineup.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

After a few listens, I've grown to like the song more. It's still far from my favorite Shinedown song, and doesn't have me excited for the new record yet, but it is growing on me. Still like Bully more, though.
Thanks Andy!

Altered
Bought The CDs

Post by Altered »

The new single is waaaay to cliche for my tastes. They seem to be light years away from what made them great in my opinion. Guitar is lacking, music depth in general is not there, and the lyrics lack passion. Not to optimistic for the release.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

All right, here's the set of their 1st meaningful show in over 1.5 years.

Asking For It
Crying Out
Fly From The Inside
If You Only Knew
Unity
The Crow & The Butterfly
Diamond Eyes (Boom-Lay Boom-Lay Boom)
I'll Follow You
Enemies
I Dare You
In Memory
Through the Ghost
Cut the Cord
Devour
Bully
Second Chance
Simple Man
(Lynyrd Skynyrd cover)
Sound of Madness

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/shinedown ... 69377.html

Well, decent mixed bag. Looks like they debuted three songs from the new album. I Dare You is back, but I presume backing track vocals are totally going to be used. Also, I was like there was no way that they were going to do either Crying Out or In Memory if they were picking Leave A Whisper songs, but found a live video of In Memory anyway. It's acoustic and missing a verse though, but it sounds legit.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/sEQ1c7oJCS4[/youtube]
Last edited by anguyen92 on Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Zach had asked people on Twitter a few weeks ago what songs they'd like to see live that weren't normally played. Glad he seemed to hear the fans out. That's a good setlist overall.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

Pretty stoked to see they're playing some songs they havent played in a while. Hopefully they play some more of the songs from Leave a Whisper and Us & Them.
Thanks Andy!