The Official HALESTORM Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Re: The Official HALESTORM Thread

Post by TenaciousBe »

gbruin wrote:
JaredWard wrote:
Andy92 wrote:Honestly their songwriting seems like the female version of Nickelback lol. I love them, but there's like this huge blanket covering up their full potential. Not necessarily covering them up talent wise, just material wise.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
I agree with a lot of this. Both of you, esp Jared, are perfect examples of potential fans who are turned off to more or less of a degree by the material.

Some of it I attribute to being so young in the biz and relying too much on a lot of the typical rock clichés (and maybe that's just me being an apologist). But I think the new album does show some developing maturity of content, especially in the 3 ballads in the middle. In those, Lzzy is much more vulnerable and introspective, and doesn't dive into the dominating sex queen persona. I'd like to see that more honest personality continue to develop, as I think their talent, esp Lzzy's is truly special. I'd hate to see her and the band get typecast and cost them potential fans.
This is precisely my feelings on them as well. I fell absolutely in love with them a couple years ago when I saw them open for Shinedown, and I devoured their first album. Love every track on that disc. The covers EP was something cool to tide the fans over but I don't know that the songs really popped the way they could have for some reason. And the new record... there are a few songs I really like and some I just haven't gotten into yet. As for their lyrical content, I'm kind of torn there -- I like that they have their own sort of "identity" so as not to get lost in the radio rock shuffle and forgotten about like so many one or two hit wonders from the past 5 years, but I do also worry about the potential for turning off fans. Then again, not everything is for everybody, you know? I always try to have a "live and let live" attitude, and that goes for bands too -- I've grown very tired of Theory of a Deadman going to the "Nickelback-ish" well in terms of lyrics, but I still respect their right to exists and for fans who dig that kind of thing to have something like that to enjoy. :)
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

/\

I think that's one reason I totally love the song, In My Room. Ballad stuff aside (b/c I usually like that kind of change up on an album anyway), I really love that they did a song that takes some of the innuendo that is the focus of many of their songs and goes the other way with it. Instead of taunting another sexmate, this song is about reassuring a soulmate.

The sentiment of that song is beautiful (same with Beautiful With You), and I really enjoy that they are developing more diversity of emotion. I think that will be very important for them going forward. I am by no means against hearing Lzzy sing about raunch, esp because she can sell that theme so well. But rock has plenty of one-trick bands, so I love that she can project other themes, too.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

In Your Room is one of my favorites on the album. I think Break In is better than Beautiful With You, but it's still a good song too. Could see it being a single since it seems a bit more radio accessible than Break In imo.

By the way, I Miss The Misery is one of my favorites on the album, and I believe they just released it to rock radio. Thought that was a smart decision.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Dayviewer
Isolated

Post by Dayviewer »

JaredWard wrote:
Andy92 wrote:Honestly their songwriting seems like the female version of Nickelback lol. I love them, but there's like this huge blanket covering up their full potential. Not necessarily covering them up talent wise, just material wise.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Definatly agree as well, I really hope they will find a more unique sound and identity soon, they are great live but i can't really be bothered when listening to the albums musically and lyrically
Formerly known as Benjami

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Actually I'm fine with where the band is musically. They're a fun band to listen to. The cheesy lyrics on the new record are really the only thing turning me off from them some.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

QwikSand
TABN.com Citizen

Post by QwikSand »

Lzzy singing Out Ta Get Me with Slash, intro and backing vocals by Myles.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/6AWxruAzN4s[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/vMKwP0mC_TY[/youtube]

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

I'd love to hear Myles and Lzzy sing something together.

QwikSand
TABN.com Citizen

Post by QwikSand »

It's cut off on one of these but Myles says "We're gonna bring out someone who I think is one of the best singers I've ever heard". That is awesome and a duet would be incredible, she has said on Twitter that she wants to do it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

I hope they work on something together, and not just have one of them sing a separate vocal over a previously recorded song.

Vaux
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Vaux »

I am trying so hard to like this band but it's just not happening. I am just not feeling it.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

I'd give my middle nut to hear Myles and Lzzy do a "Broken" style duet!
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

nagpo
Burn It Down

Post by nagpo »

Favorite song on the latest album has got to be Don't know How to Stop.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Looks like they're on tour now. I'd love to go to a show, but they're part of this year's Carnival of Madness, and I really don't feel like paying extra to see Evanescence.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Keep an eye out for solo dates. They've scattered in a few of those while on the multi-group tours in the past. I'm hoping to get down to Colorado Springs this weekend to see them.

Here's a link to the tour dates on their webpage: http://www.halestormrocks.com/tour

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

I've kissed Lzzy Hale on the cheek..
Saw them with Shinedown, they came out, i flirted with their HOT merch girl, Detroit.. And got a kiss from Lzzy.. Hell of a night!

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Theyre playing a headlining show here in October, in a venue that holds about 300 people.. Cant fucking wait

nagpo
Burn It Down

Post by nagpo »

Jim wrote:I've kissed Lzzy Hale on the cheek..
I'm so fucking jealous.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Jim wrote:i flirted with their HOT merch girl, Detroit
That's a weird name for a girl..

:shifty

nvm :lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Melt...

[youtube]http://youtu.be/rjbbXn8SASw[/youtube]

Decay

Post by Decay »

Awesome. Lzzy sounds even better live than in the studio.