The Official ALICE IN CHAINS Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Dolo
Burn It Down

Re: The Official ALICE IN CHAINS Thread

Post by Dolo »

Well, the album is really good but I'm not sure whether it's better than BGWTB, I think I need more playthroughs of both to judge that. Hollow and Stone are outstanding IMO, and that riff in the latter literally sounds like dinosaur treading through a busy city lol.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

StillRemains
Bought The CDs

Post by StillRemains »

"Phantom Limb" is worth mentioning too. It's the track that's stuck out the most to me on the new album. Not to make comparisons, but the chorus of the song definitely has the old school AiC sound to it.
[center]Image

*Thanks to JaredWard for the sig!*

Call Me No One // Alter Bridge
[/center]

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

StillRemains wrote:"Phantom Limb" is worth mentioning too. It's the track that's stuck out the most to me on the new album. Not to make comparisons, but the chorus of the song definitely has the old school AiC sound to it.
Yeah, this track is also very solid.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Listened to the album for the first time today. With the exception of the 3 songs I had already heard before, I found the album to be completely forgettable. Which is a shame, because I really do want to like this album, but nothing reached out at me while I was listening to it, and nothing stuck to me once I listened to it.

If this was an album that was from a new band, who I was giving a go, I wouldn't listen to this album twice. But because it's an Alice In Chains album, I'm going to give it a few more listens.

This is just my opinion based on my first listen, so I'm sure it'll all grow on me, but it's pretty disappointing when nothing at all reaches out to you or attracts your attention in an album on your first listen.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

yeah, not a Chains album that am really happy about. a few decent songs, nothing great, not anywhere even near Black Gives Way To Blue(which is one of of my favourite albums ever).. Forgettable is the right word.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Bland record, with a couple of decent tracks here and there.
It's pretty much on par with Black gives Way to Blue, which had 3 or 4 decent songs.
Jerry Cantrelle is one of the most overrated guitar players out there IMHO.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

chtimixeur wrote: Jerry Cantrelle is one of the most overrated guitar players out there IMHO.
I wouldn't say that, there are quite a few more overrated guitarist out there. Moreover, Cantrell is also a great singer and songwriter. Basicaly, he made AiC.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I'd say Layne made AiC.
Even at his worse (MTV unplugged), he was incredible.
How could he have such a big voice in such a small body ?

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

chtimixeur wrote:Bland record, with a couple of decent tracks here and there.
It's pretty much on par with Black gives Way to Blue, which had 3 or 4 decent songs.
Black Gives Way To Blue, not a good record? I don't agree with that, but fair enough.
Jerry Cantrell, overrated? I hope you've heard enough by him. Agreed that he doesn't have a lot of variety. But with whatever he has got, he has made the most sensible music I've ever heard.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

JustinVaughnTaylor
Brand New Start

Post by JustinVaughnTaylor »

After 2 full listens it's already growing on me. It's not as radio friendly as BGWTB, so the songs naturally aren't going to jump out on the first listen. Still not sure if it's as good or better than BGWTB... but I do respect what they are trying to do by not making a BGWTB Pt.2 and going back to their roots a bit while experimenting at the same time.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Them Bones wrote:
chtimixeur wrote:Bland record, with a couple of decent tracks here and there.
Black Gives Way To Blue, not a good record? I don't agree with that, but fair enough.
Jerry Cantrell, overrated? I hope you've heard enough by him. Agreed that he doesn't have a lot of variety. But with whatever he has got, he has made the most sensible music I've ever heard.
BDWTB is alright. I really enjoy 3 or 4 songs, but that's about it.
As to Cantrell, I've actually listened to his AiC and solo records over and over again in the last few weeks. He's good, but IMHO, he's nowhere near as good as Hetfield, Dimebag or Tremonti just to name a few. There are a lot of fillers on all his albums since 1995.

Also, here are my favourites off Dinosaurs :
1. The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
2. the second half ofow Ceiling
3. Hung on a Hook
4. Hollow

prslover
TABN.com Citizen

Post by prslover »

You guys who are already saying you don't like it have to have some patience. Don't forget this is REAL rock that does not adhere to todays culture of right here, right now ZERO patience.
I am about 4 listens in and I keep hearing cooler shit everytime. It keeps getting better .
I hear Duvall defining his voice more like on "Hung on a Hook",
you got the same amazing bass that's always been there,
And some fresh arrangements too.

I'm not crazy about the title track but other than that it sounds like another solid AIC record.

How about some props for sticking to your "quintessential " sound. This band does not even acknowledge their silly record companies desires stupid ideas.
They just grunge out like its 92' ....LOVE IT!

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

This album is growing on me, I'm on my fourth listen at the moment. I still have difficulty distinguishing between the songs, but Choke, Phantom Limb, Lab Monkey and Breath on a Window are cool.

I still stand by my first impression though, an album shouldn't bore you almost to death on it's first listen. While the album has grown on me, none of the old Alice In Chains' albums, even Black Gives Way To Blue had to grow on me as much as I this one before I started appreciating it, but that doesn't make all their previous work any less 'REAL rock' does it?

prslover
TABN.com Citizen

Post by prslover »

BSC wrote:This album is growing on me, I'm on my fourth listen at the moment. I still have difficulty distinguishing between the songs, but Choke, Phantom Limb, Lab Monkey and Breath on a Window are cool.

I still stand by my first impression though, an album shouldn't bore you almost to death on it's first listen. While the album has grown on me, none of the old Alice In Chains' albums, even Black Gives Way To Blue had to grow on me as much as I this one before I started appreciating it, but that doesn't make all their previous work any less 'REAL rock' does it?

No of course it doesn't, I get what your saying.

We would all love to get a record that kicks you right in the face with "We die Young" on the first track.

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

Jerry Cantrell is overrated? Lol. He is anything but overrated.

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Got the CD in the mail today. On my second listen, loving the album. Needed to run to the grocery store quickly so cranked a few songs on the car stereo, :rockon the best place for me to listen to music, and it sounded even better. Wish I had nothing to do right now and could just sit in the car and listen to it.

Keep editing this post to add more favorite tracks as they come up, giving up, I love most of the album. Feels like a mix of Dirt and Black Give Way to Blue to me. I was primed to be excited for this by hearing them live recently, will see them later this summer, really hope to hear more from this album live as I liked Hollow and Stone even better live.

Edit to add: I know little about production but I like most of the sound, can hear individual voices and instruments even in the layers and there is breathing space and white space if you know what I mean. Just looked up the list of albums Nick Raskulinecz has worked on, I loved and said the same thing about Big Wreck's Albatross http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Raskulinecz
Last edited by agny on Thu May 30, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alterations: Dec 2010, May 2011, August 2011x2, Sept 2011, Oct 2014x2

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

JustinVaughnTaylor wrote:...I do respect what they are trying to do by not making a BGWTB Pt.2 and going back to their roots a bit while experimenting at the same time.
agree

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Nice interview with William, especially the story of how he wrote Last of My Kind.
http://93rockon.com/blogs/ambers-blog/6 ... in-chains/

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

I'm loving the solo in Low Ceiling.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Giving the album a listen now. Love that riff on Stone, was even better hearing it live a couple weeks ago. The band sounds really good for the first few songs in...Jerry's still got it.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.