The Official JOHN MAYER Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: The Official JOHN MAYER Thread

Post by Timotheus »

The new album will be called "The Search For Everything", and is described by Steve Jordan as "more in the category of Continuum 2.0"

A year back John posted these lyrics online:
How sad it is that time should pass
her majesty, the hourglass
we take the sand of bygone years
and make mud of it with all our tears

The tiny drone of bumblebees
the copper smell of bloodied knees
the days when rock and roll was king
and the endless search for everything

What is this compared to then?
and will I ever love again?

The answer to that question brings
the endless search for everything.
New music within weeks. So excited!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

Pumped!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

The first wave of his new album is going to be released tomorrow (he's doing it in waves - 4 songs a month). It's already streaming on Spotify in some parts of the world.

-Moving On and Getting Over is his first real groove song since the Continuum/Battle Studies era and it deserves all the love it's getting from the fans. The trio is back and they're on fire. This song is going to be a single and it's going to be huge. It's so ridiculously catchy.
-Changing is more of a folky song that could've fit on Born & Raised (Age of Worry type of anthem). It's beautifully constructed and recorded.. Great, honest lyrics. And that guitar solo... I've got so much love for this song.
-Love on the Weekend: While I don't dislike the song I think it was a bad first single choice. I lacks the clever lyricism and instrumentation that I associate John with. Still dig the vibe of this song though.
-You're Gonna Live Forever In Me is a cute little piano ballad with incredible lyrics. Sounds like a closer, which in this case it is, so I wonder how it is going to fit on the actual album.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Seriously.. That guitar solo...

anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

Solid EP. Not quite the return to the CONTINUUM sound I was expecting, given the reunion of the Trio, but it's basically got one track from each phase of his career: "Moving On" from the blues years, "Changing" from the Americana years, "Love on the Weekend" from the early years, and "You're Gonna Live Forever in Me" is something new. I honestly wish he'd just waited a few more months to release the full LP -- how many phases could there possibly be? Three? Four? There can't be more than 16 tracks, right? -- because I hate this piecemeal approach, but whatever. Happy to have new tracks.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Through interviews I got that the album was going to be more of a 'best of' in terms of sound, which worried me a bit at first, but hearing these songs I'm really not that worried anymore. I think even though these songs are all over the place, they still make sense together. There's a cohesive sound going on.

Nobody knows how many waves there are, lol. John's said in interviews that he'd written a lot of songs. So at least 4, maybe more. I would've rather had an actual full album, but so far I like this approach.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Only posting this because he called a song Emoji of a Wave :lol The little tease of the song he posted a while back sounded really good, so no worries here. New wave next week, woo!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I'm absolutely blown away by the first three songs of this wave. Roll It on Home kinda feels out of place, but isn't a bad song.

Helpless is incredible.. It's so great to hear John groove again. Especially backed up by Steve Jordan and Pino Palladino. The production on this album has been amazing so far as well.

Aaaand awesome news:

anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

I really love the album, but folks hoping for the promised "Continuum 2" (or even a huge track-list, for that matter) are going to be super disappointed. Like the name suggests, it basically just compiles Mayer's many aesthetics from across his career onto a single album.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I think the second half of the album suffers from all the genre jumping. In the first half there are different genres as well, but I think it's more subtle and the transitions are better. Lyrically doesn't always make sense either. Moving On and Getting over into Never On The Day You Leave is a complete 180. Rosie should've been in between there, or Moving On should've been put more towards the end of the album.

But I'm loving the new album as well. Amazing musicianship and great, great pop songs. Some of John's best studio guitar solos as well. From the new batch I really like Rosie and In The Blood, which has some of the best lyrics John has ever written.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

AustinH22
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by AustinH22 »

This thread is my happy place. We love you Timo!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: Be cool, Timo... Be cool!

Post by Timotheus »

Somebody other than me posted in the John Mayer thread! :eek
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

I love John Mayer and wish I was a tenth of the guitarist he is.

In the Blood is the shit.
Thanks Timo!

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I didn't realise we had a John Mayer thread here. I actually saw him for the first time a couple of weeks ago in London. Here's the set list:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/john-may ... da47e.html

The first set was great and mind blowing at times. Waiting on the Day is one of my favourite JM songs, but I didn't expect it to be the song out of the night. Here's a video:

https://youtu.be/LfQ910_Y2b0

The thing that impressed the most was how great the band was, not just JM. Everyone in the band played a huge role (apart from the percussion - not sure why he's there) and the band were really bouncing off each other. It was just small things such as David Ryan Harris briefly singing I Don't Trust Myself. I imagine it's tricky to be in a band with three guitarists, particularly if one of those guitarists is JM, but the other two guitarists has some great solos throughout the night. Edge of Desire was also mind blowing as well.

I found the second set to be a bit hit and miss to be honest. I was really impressed with JM doing his acoustic set. It must take big balls to stand up in front of at least 15,000 people and play on your own. Although, after the acoustic set the energy never really picked up. Moving On was good but Rosie just kind of fell a bit flat. I like Stop This Train, but I don't really need to hear it live, especially after all of the other acoustic songs he just played. Born and Raised is my favourite album so I loved The Age of Worry and it helped the energy pick up a bit. Carry Me Away was really cool too. David Ryan Harris knocked it out of the park again prior to Slow Dancing and Slow Dancing was great as expected. Gravity and New Light was obviously great too. The gig was overall good, but there was a lack of energy in the second half, the amazing chemistry that was present in the first set wasn't so prominent in the second half.

I was a bit disappointed to only hear one song from Born and Raised, as that's my favourite album. I think the lack of energy might have come from such a large amount of songs from his last album.

I think my favourite JM song is Wheel, I just love the bluesy groove, the slow tempo and the lyrics.

I'm also really keen on David Ryan Harris's solo stuff. I'd recommend checking his stuff out if you haven't:

https://youtu.be/rxc19fLn4OQ
https://youtu.be/lWqQbToiLEc
https://youtu.be/3EOHraCMjbI
https://youtu.be/vNLLK2a9l9M