The Official LINKIN PARK Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: The Official LINKIN PARK Thread

Post by Timotheus »

There's some stuff on the album that's listenable but the entire thing is just so awkward. Classic example of a rock band following a popular trend and releasing an album that sounds outdated even on its release day. Not sure why any band would want to do that.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Mike Shinoda said they take 12-18 months to record an album, so any popular trend has usually passed by then.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

http://www.tmz.com/2017/07/20/linkin-pa ... s-suicide/

Geez, that was out of nowhere...we've lost way too many people this year
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

One of the biggest generation-defining artists, and one of my personal musical heroes... Rest In Peace.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

RIP Chester Bennington :(

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

They were the first band I was ever big into.. I was obsessed with them until I discovered alter bridge. Heart broken :-(

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Linkin Park was my introduction to rock music, and really to music in general. I feel absolutely devastated.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

mtshaw3
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mtshaw3 »

Timotheus wrote:
Wow... those lyrics... :(
Huge thanks to Andy! Love my new sig!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Depression is the biggest disease plaguing this world today. Regardless of anyone's feelings towards their music, Chester's stamp on the rock community was unmistakable. RIP. Yet another gone too soon.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

So sad. What a shit year... On Chris Cornell's birthday too..

Rest in peace Chester!
Thanks Timo!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I haven't listened to LP in years, but I'm sure like a ton of people my age on here, they were one of the first bands I really got into. I'd probably still be able to sing along to the whole of Hybrid Theory and Meteora today. It's just desperately sad.

RIP Chester.
For all of the hope that it brings...

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Honestly, I don't know what to say. Never really was a Linkin Park fan, but I guaran-damn-tee that anyone around my age bracket at least knows a Linkin Park song by heart, even if they are not fans.

Anyway, on the drive home, I was listening to KROQ radio station, which was always a huge supporter of Linkin Park and play their stuff frequently, but the radio host of the hour decided to spend the hour playing all kinds of Linkin Park songs in tribute and share stories that he had with Chester Bennington (from what I heard the radio host and Bennington did charity work together, and he heard the Meteora album with the band and a couple of listeners at the basement of the Wiltern theater, before the album was out). The radio station were playing Burn it Down, Papercut, Breaking the Habit, Given Up, New Divide, Numb, etc. and listening to those songs on the way home and hearing the lyrics deeply and in hindsight. Oh yeah, there were more than just tapping into teenage angst to be marketable to that demographic. Chester was living that frustration he was going through in life.

It also reminded me when that same radio host dedicated the hour to Chris Cornell and was playing all things Chris Cornell-related (Burden in My Hand, Like a Stone, Nearly Forgot My Broken Heart, and two live acoustic versions at a KROQ sponsored concert of Fell on Black Days and a cover of Nothing Compares 2 U) and like Chester's scenario, hearing those lyrics in hindsight and what happens really makes those songs much more powerful in light of their passing. Yeah.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Oh dang. My friends and I listened to them a lot in high school.

Rip Chester

Good songs by them:

The Messenger- Linkin Park
No Roads Left- Linkin Park
Valentines Day- Linkin Park
My December- Linkin Park
Leave Out All the Rest- Linkin Park

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

I stopped listening to Linkin Park several years back, but LP was my gateway to the world of rock and pretty much everything else I listen to now. I have so many childhood memories attached with the voice of Chester. Absolutely devastated. I don't know what's happening. It's like the whole world is dying..

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Do we know that Cornell's death was a suicide? I thought some people were a bit questionable about his death.

I've had some dark moments in life, many people do. It's hard to describe since everyone's life is so different and people have different experiences. I just go to bed wake up and carry on the next day.

Anyways, I'm from a really small town and 3 people from my high school killed themselves in the past 7 years. I was close with one, the other two were just acquaintances, tho. Like Andy said, depression I guess is just a big issue for many people.

"When life leaves us blind, love keeps us kind" - The Messenger - Linkin Park

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

cheesedip1 wrote:Do we know that Cornell's death was a suicide? I thought some people were a bit questionable about his death.
I think with Cornell it was basically that he was on some prescriptions for depression, and some people think his medicines affected him in a negative way to do what he did. But I'm pretty sure his death was by his own hanging, unfortunately.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

I think CC had an anti-anxiety Rx for Ativan and suicidal thoughts can be a side effect - plus other drugs, maybe he had a terrible relapse and the failure of relapsing made him depressed. His wife gave an interview in People about the details of that night. I feel like some of his support system failed him but ultimately it's hard to beat depression and it defies logical analysis anyway.

No coincidence that Chester killed himself on Chris' birthday not long after singing at his funeral, they were very close. :(
Alterations: Dec 2010, May 2011, August 2011x2, Sept 2011, Oct 2014x2

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

I almost hate to say this cuz it sounds judgmental but damn, they both had wives and kids.

Although I guess it doesn't matter now.

Tigra
Isolated

Post by Tigra »

Depression (whether induced by medicines or not) makes you feel they will be better off without you because you are a hopeless spouse/parent/child; you are of no use to anybody so the only solution is to free them all of the burden. You become convinced that this is the only beneficial thing you can do for them.