Rate the last album, you listened to.

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
CreamCrazy
Brand New Start

Re: Rate the last album, you listened to.

Post by CreamCrazy »

Dio - Dio

Took me way too long as a Rock/Metal fan to get my hands on this.

While Dio's vocals are a blast to listen to, & it has some standout tracks; there just isn't enough instrumental variation & style differences for me to keep engaged on repeated listens. Then again, this is an 80's metal album! So it is understandable.

While it is still a good album for a bit of head banging, the album's middle section falls a bit flat, especially after hearing some very intense & iconic songs at the beginning. Nonetheless, the bread in this album's sandwich really stands out & holds itself high.

HIGHLIGHTS: Stand Up & Shout, Holy Diver, Don't Talk To Strangers, Rainbow In The Dark

RATING: 5.5/10

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Proof of life - scott stapp 6/10. Some enjoyably tunes. but expected more.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Projected - Human 7/10

A good solid hard rock/metal album. Flips Drumming, E-Rocks guitar, Johns vocals, all great. Lots of great riffs, the solos were okay.

Negatives: the lack of guitar solos, the absence of a prominent bass, the length of the songs, and the length of the album

EDIT. After reconsideration and not just lazily saying "10/10 would :headbang " I'll change my score.
Last edited by SHEAKENBAKEN on Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rosenblaetter
Loyal Follower

Post by Rosenblaetter »

10/10?
You. Are. Not. Serious.
FYI I'm a woman.
--------------------
Past shows: Alter Bridge 10.11 NL, Kensington 11.11 NL, Alter Bridge 16.11 PL
Future shows: Kensington 15.02 DE, Kensington 17.02 PL, Rival Sons 18.02 PL

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Rosenblaetter wrote:10/10?
You. Are. Not. Serious.
:lol If I were to take more into consideration, like the lack of guitar solos, the absence of a prominent bass, the length of the songs, and the length of the album, then it'd be a 7/10. So I guess I'll stop being lazy and just re-grade it.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/jIHXlY2Jg3Y[/youtube]

7/10

I always wanted to give these guys a try. I finally did. I really love the music. It's melodic, yet heavy. If there is any downside it's that like many albums that came out early last decade, there is very little lead playing. On the upside, alot of the verse melodies outshine the choruses, which rarely happens with a band. Not to say that the choruses are bad, on the contrary, it just proves how great the verses are.

Highlites: Everyone knows Still Frame and Headstrong, but you need to check out Echo, Stories, These Walls, Promise and Made of Glass. Good stuff.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Agents - Find the Place

Love the record, quality rock record. The vocals are a bit unique at times, that singer has some pipes. For a debut record, this is really good.

8/10

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Of Mice & Men - Restoring Force

This is the first album with their new clean singer Aaron Pauley, with this comes a new sound for the band. Departing from the metalcore sound, and entering into a more nu metal/alternative sound. The bands diversity is shown in this album, not as many breakdowns as previous albums, more melodies, and even a different style of screams from Carlile. The album is pretty heavy, but has its softer moments, such as Space Enough To Grow, so it feels diverse as a whole.

Positives: The album has a bunch of really good melodies, and the guitar riffage is just as strong as ever. Aaron Pauley has a pretty nice voice, took me second to get used to it at first. A couple songs almost have a Breaking Benjamin vibe, which aint a bad thing!

Negatives: Some of the lyrics are pretty cliche, and i find that some songs lyrics are too similar to each other.

Highlights: Bones Exposed, Glass Hearts, Another You (Sounds like its about Austin's mom, sequel to Second and Sebring??), Identity Disorder, Space Enough To Grow, Break Free

The Flood is still the best OM&M album IMO.

8/10
Thanks Timo!

Decay

Post by Decay »

Of Mice & Men - Restoring Force 6/10

Just like how I'd rate the previous record, not bad at all, but not so good either.

'Feels Like Forever', 'Would You Still Be There', 'Another You', 'Break Free', 'Identity Disorder' and 'Space Enough To Grow' are my jams.

Decay

Post by Decay »

JET - GET BORN 9/10

Listened to it for the first time today, I expected so much from this album and I'm glad I ended not being disappointed. 'Get Born' is an awesome, just an awesome and dirty rock 'n' roll album, which also possess genuine, heartfelt ballads!

My absolute favorites are... 'Are You Gonna Be My Girl?' and 'Cold Hard Bitch' which are just dirty, r'n'r tunes and 'Look What You've Done', 'Move On', 'Radio Song' and 'Come Around Again' which are killer ballads.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Avenged Sevenfold - Live in the LBC. 8/10.

Ok, so A7X played an arena show in what I guess is their almost hometown show (They are from Huntington Beach, California and the show is in Long Beach), and it's a solid show. The setlist is decent, highlighting six songs from their latest album at the time (self-titled), and some of their bigger hits (Unholy Confessions, Beast and the Harlot, Bat Country, etc.) and the crowd was pretty good. Everyone was playing well and they invited a fan onstage to sing Pantera's Walk which I thought was cool.

My only gripes was that the show was a bit too short (about 75 min.) which I can understand why it is too short because I can't think that M. Shadows has the voice to sing a show that lasts about two hours, and that they did not play Lost (my personal favorite from the self-titled).

Overall, it was a decent show and everyone, most importantly the band, had a good time. Despite their huge global recent success with Hail to the King, I would like to think that this would be a time period where the band would like to relive. Things were so much simpler back then. The Rev was alive, they did not get caught in the middle of the Mike Portnoy/Dream Theater split, and they look like they were having fun touring in support of their self-titled album (they are still having fun touring Hail to the King, but I think the vibe, today, compared to 2008 is so much different).

Yep, this performance just clarifies what I've known a lot. These guys are good enough as musicians to warrant their success back then and today.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Witchcraft - Legend 9/10

First Witchcraft album I listened to after Mark Tremonti mentioned them on That Metal Show. I think the album has great riffs, solos, arrangements, drums, etc. I think the singers voice is great and the lyrics are as well. I never really listened to "stoner rock" before but I like it. I could see how some people would think "it's been done before"/"it's nothing special" as my dad pointed out, but I still enjoy it the whole way through. I also think a crucial aspect of my liking of this album, was that it was the first time the band did the recording more modernly than on the previous albums. Subsequently, i'm not a fan of their other albums for the reason they used vintage equipment.

Highlights: Ghost's House, Deconstruction, It's Not Because of You, Dead End

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Chevelle - Sci-fi Crimes 8/10.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/pkGNaJ00I_c[/youtube]

Some great tunes... Sleep Apnea, Jars, Letter From A Thief, Highlands Apparition, all amazing songs. As always, Raw sounding rock. These guys never fail me.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

Frank Zappa - The Grand Wazoo - 8.5/10

I love this album. It's my first in what will surely be quite a few of Zappa's stuff. It has this incredible jazz fusion, progressive rock, and quirky fun vibe. I usually hate stuff that's overly technical and pretentious but with jazz as the focus rather than metal, you can tell these people are here to have fun rather than be snobs. And it shows, because this is a really fun album. It's mostly instrumental and every instrument is amazing. Eat That Question has one of the best riffs I've ever heard and it's played just enough to get it stuck in your head but limited so that you're always hungry to hear it again. The rhythm section, especially the drums, are amazing on this track too. The title track is definitely the heart of this album and it deserves that honor because it's freaking huge. It's like a jazz symphony combined with these massive, incredible solos from a trombone and muted trumpet. The other tracks are great too but those ones always steal the majority of my attention. Great album to jam out to and do homework. Highly recommended. I'm going to try to get Hot Rats soon because I've heard even better things about that album.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Given your music tastes, I'm shocked that's the first Zappa album you've checked out. Haha

Or were you meaning that was just your first review of a Zappa album?
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

Hah, yeah, it is my first one. I bought it a long while back though, at least a year ago. I just got re-addicted to it recently so I thought I'd try to review it. I can tell it's going to continue holding up well for me too.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Sorry for the large image. The band name: Bad Suns. Album: Transposed. It's their debut EP. I heard them on the radio one night on the way home from work and really connected with the sound of "Cardiac Arrest". The album contains 4 songs. The album has a modern sound to it but with a bit of an 80's pop feel. It has really nice melodies and good lyrics. Only thing I disliked about it was that it was merely 4 songs.

8/10. Check em out on youtube at least.

Jesterhead
Brand New Start

Post by Jesterhead »

A couple quick reviews of some albums I've been revisiting and finally came across

Rise Against-The Sufferer and the Witness: 7/10

I'm not quite as into the alt-punk stuff as I used to be, but this album still stands out as a good mix of straight-forward energetic punk rock, good lyrics, and emotional intensity.

La Dispute-Rooms of the House: 7/10

Worthwile follow up to Wildlife, one of my favorite albums. The themes and stories told here aren't quite as captivating, and the guitars didn't need to be turned up with this kind of lyrically-driven music. Nitpicks aside, La Dispute knows their shit and deliver very specifically crafted scenarios and with perfomances just as great as they've been.

Protest The Hero-Volition: 9.5/10

OH MY GOD YES. Crowd-funded Protest The Hero is so good. I've always enjoyed their music, but Volition is their best record yet. The lyrics are brutal and honest. The vocals and melodies fit every moment. The guitars and drums are crazy, but also tight and slick. Highlights are Underbite, Clarity, Drumhead Trial, and Plato's Tripartite. There is no filler, though. If you like prog metal with heavy 80's influences, check this out. NOW.

Breaking Benjamin-We Are Not Alone: 4/10

Ugh. I don't even know why I bothered. I guess I still like So Cold and Firefly? I kind of got over these guys a long time ago, after Phobia gave me hope, and Dear Agony shattered that hope. At best, they just copy their own sound. At worst, they're failing to distinguish themselves from the rest of the generic too-dumb-for-Tool bands floating around the 2002-2008 "era"

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

St. Vincent - Self Titled - 8/10

I first heard of St. Vincent from her project with David Byrne, which I liked quite a bit so I've been waiting to get into her solo work. I'm glad I did because this album is fantastic. She describes her style as being somewhere between accessible and "lunatic fringe" which is more than accurate. She plays an interesting form of guitar driven art pop, with adventurous but not overcomplicated songs, intriguing conceptual work without pretentision, and accessible song structures that aren't dumbed down. On this album in particular, she is exploring the effects of the digital world on humanity and human interaction, a subject she both explores seriously and with a great deal of humor and wit. Even without the thematic elements, the music is fun, catchy, and varied. She is a great singer and an even greater guitarist, producing some good riffs and some amazing guitar sounds that I've never heard before. It often becomes difficult to tell what is guitar and what isn't. The rest of the instrumentals are comprised by drums, bass, and keyboard accompanied by some song by song variation with bells, mellotron, and different types of distortion effects. Overall, I really like this album. There a couple of songs that aren't fully developed but everything on here is at least good and a lot of it is really great.

Favorite songs: Digital Witness, Birth In Reverse, Prince Johnny, Rattlesnake, Severed Crossed Finers

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Seether - Karma and Effect. 8.5/10

Well, where to start? Once upon a time, a long time ago, Seether was my 2nd favorite band right behind AB. Then my 2nd favorite band was Shinedown, then Foo Fighters, and now my currency 2nd favorite band is Rush. I had a lot of 2nd favorite bands, but only one 1st favorite band ever. I wonder why? :headscratch

Where was I? Ok, so anywho, I decided to go back and listen to, probably, my favorite album from Seether which was Karma and Effect and, honestly, after four years since I listened to it whole, it is still awesome. The singles are the singles which are good and successful (Remedy, Truth). My favorites from that album though are Burrito, Worlds Fall Away, Tongue, The Gift, and Simplest Mistake.

I understand why the latter albums had to be what it is, but, still, Karma and Effect is a great album, to me, compared to the other two. Everything, here, had that feeling for me that the next two albums just didn't capture as much for me which is probably why I don't follow them as much, nowadays. It happens.

Overall, Karma and Effect was just really good for me to listen to and it's nice to relive that.