Rate the last album, you listened to.

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Tom
Jim's Brother

Re: Rate the last album, you listened to.

Post by Tom »

Memphis May Fire - Unconditional

9.5/10

Fucking amazing, for the genre of Metalcore this is nearly perfect.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Im gonna give that there a listen, Tom.
Thanks Timo!

Tom
Jim's Brother

Post by Tom »

Suicide Silence - The Black Crown

8/10

not everybody's cup of tea, but it's undeniable how much talent Mitch Lucker had before he passed, such an incredible front man & this album really is awesome, from the breakdowns, some of the lyrics, the music videos & even the production. Very good album

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

I had never listened to it until now, I feel almost a sense of shame for saying that as a fan of rock music.

Van Halen 1 - 10/10

The album is just phenomenal, I can see how it was revolutionary. Running With the Devil, Ice Cream Man, and Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love are my top three.

Overall: holy shit...moving on to the next record!

Trelose
Loyal Follower

Post by Trelose »

Stone Sour - The House of Gold & Bones

9/10
I wanna rise today... And change this world...

Trelose
Loyal Follower

Post by Trelose »

Well, part 1... But I guess both parts would be the same score from me. XD

(Seriously thought I said which part... Darn it!)
I wanna rise today... And change this world...

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Queen - News of the World

7.5/10

I enjoyed quite a bit of it. Brian May is one of my favorite guitarists. The vocals are amazing as usual. But as usual with Queen, there are a couple of songs that I just can't get into. Highlites: Will We Rock You, We Are The Champions, All Dead All Dead, Sheer Heart Attack.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

Swans - To Be Kind

10/10

I rarely give albums perfect scores but I can't bear to give this album anything less than that. Swans are masters at what they do and no one is even approaching whatever it is that they do. It's like they tap into some force that is both cosmic and primordial, godlike and animalistic. This album has some of the most powerful crescendos paired with some of the most ethereal beauties. The contradictions are intense and yet they all somehow cohere and stay together, driving forward with an incredible power. Swans sound like nothing else.

For the uninitiated, Swans is a post punk band that largely transcends that genre, using guitars, drums, bass, piano, sometimes strings, electronics, brass, and samples to make some towering pieces of music. This album, as well as their last album, The Seer, are double albums, both featuring centerpiece songs over 30 minutes long each. This isn't prog though. The music is largely constructed with swelling drones, pounding repetition, and concussive explosions of noise, which are all led by Michael Gira's screaming, moaning, yelping voice. It's a weird, intense experience that I can't recommend highly enough. It's a tough thing to get into but it's enthralling if you can.

I love every track but if you want to sample it, I'd try A Little God In My Hands, Oxygen, or Kirsten Supine.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Dat cover though.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Yeah, I'm wondering how they got one of Billie Joe Armstrong's baby pictures
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

I like it. It's unsettling.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

Nick_917
Loyal Follower

Post by Nick_917 »

Black Stone Cherry
"Magic Mountain"
7.5/10

Overall, this album seems to contain elements of all three of their previous records. Instrumentally, this might be their best work. Lyrically, a few songs fall short. If I can learn to enjoy their cliched "let's party and smoke weed" songs, then this could be a brilliant album. Still letting it grow on me a little. Favorites are Holding onto Letting Go and Remember Me (and the ending of Fiesta del Fuego).
"Whatever takes us away
Will be the same to drive us on."

Lukeage
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Lukeage »

Black Stone Cherry "Magic Mountain" - 4/10

I bought this the day it came out. Musically, it's alright. Lyrics are just plain dumb and "let's make tea not war!" BSC are finished. Unfortunately they're just :zzz now. Yeah they've got a few good songs on the album (including Me and Mary Jane, and Never Surrender) but those are the ones that aren't corny with lyrics about peace pipes and oh no let's not have wars. That's so cliched.

Where are the guitar solos and the sweet licks and riffs?!?!

They'll never top the Folklore & Superstition album I'm afraid. Not with this form!

vChris
White Knuckled

Post by vChris »

Avenged Sevenfold - Hail to the King

7.5/10

really like it! Although I feel that Nightmare somehow had more variety going on and some songs can't keep my attention all the way through, but overall really good!

I'm so getting into the mood for next week Rock im Park... Guess that means I have to listen to Metallica and AB now... :D

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

- Hurt- Goodbye to the Machine -> 9/10
Take the pathos attitude of the second "Mayfield Four" Album, combine it with the most depressive parts of "Creed" and replace the Tremonti Metalhead style with average but still unconventional guitar playing. Et voila, we have one of the greatest Post Grunge bands I have ever listened to. I don't know how popular they are in the U.S. but at least in Europe Hurt really is unknown. And this truly is a pity because this band has a very unique style, and unique bands do not appear very often in the flood of post grunge bands.

- Black Stone Cherry- Magic Mountain -> 5/10
As is already mentioned in the BSC thread I am pretty disappointed of this album.

Drivenunder4
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Drivenunder4 »

Mr. Slash wrote:- Hurt- Goodbye to the Machine -> 9/10
Take the pathos attitude of the second "Mayfield Four" Album, combine it with the most depressive parts of "Creed" and replace the Tremonti Metalhead style with average but still unconventional guitar playing. Et voila, we have one of the greatest Post Grunge bands I have ever listened to. I don't know how popular they are in the U.S. but at least in Europe Hurt really is unknown. And this truly is a pity because this band has a very unique style, and unique bands do not appear very often in the flood of post grunge bands.
One of my all time favorite albums. Such a good band but very unknown. I seen them live once with a crowd of maybe 50. Its a shame.. J Loren may be the most emotional vocalist I've ever heard. Highly recommend their other albums if you haven't heard them

Rosenblaetter
Loyal Follower

Post by Rosenblaetter »

I agree with Black Stone Cherry... cliche, boring, just plain bleeeh...

10/10 Fink - Wheels Turn Beneath My Feet (2012 live album)

I don't even know what to say.
It's one of the greatest albums I've ever heard. Fink is an awesome singer-songwriter but his live performances stand on the verge of genius. His voice is always spot on, his vocals are a lesson of sensitivity. His music is intensive and sweet at the same time. His guitar playing is simple, yet hypnotizing (probably that's what you get when you give a guitar to a dj).
Awesome stuff. I love the energetic parts but this slow one is my favourite...

[youtube]http://youtu.be/bR3wCnkr9GI[/youtube]
FYI I'm a woman.
--------------------
Past shows: Alter Bridge 10.11 NL, Kensington 11.11 NL, Alter Bridge 16.11 PL
Future shows: Kensington 15.02 DE, Kensington 17.02 PL, Rival Sons 18.02 PL

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Drivenunder4 wrote:Highly recommend their other albums if you haven't heard them
Jep, their whole discography runs in a continuous loop on my Spotify player. Every album has the same high quality level.

Lukeage
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Lukeage »

Not strictly an album, rather, an EP. The "Out of the Black" EP by ROYAL BLOOD.

Rating: 10/10.

This is awesome. I heard somewhere that they're a 2 piece? A damn fine 2 piece at that I might add. There's not a duff song on here. I can't wait to see what happens when they put out an album. The riffs are sweet. The songs definitely leave a mark. They have elements of QOTSA, Mastodon, White Stripes, etc. Someone somewhere dropped a Black Keys comparison but I don't see that there at all, they're too heavy to be a Black Keys.

Check out the video for the EP's title track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_3mNCaJgNM