MUSE

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: MUSE

Post by Ubik »

Timotheus wrote:Yea, they actually played 10 new songs. Setlist.fm doesn't include Isolated System. That's not bad, considering 1 of the remaining songs on 'The Second Law' is a short interlude and I genuinely think the other 2 songs are the worst songs on the album.

And you might be interested in their next album.. They want to go back to their roots and record a very raw rock record!
Holy shit, that's my favourite thing I've heard today!

I was actually just having a look through their early 2nd Law sets on setlist.fm, and 10 seemed to be about the norm for them. Obviously they're a different type of band and they had a longer setlist, but still, they also have 6 albums and a lot of legit classics. The way they approach it is bang on.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Yea, they're dropping a lot of hits (actual hits, not Rise Today "hits") and classics to make space for the new album. It's nice to have a band like Muse around to like in moments like these ;)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/6w5KCf8hXvo[/youtube]

Video from the upcoming DVD. Love the kitara :D
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

alert23
Bought The CDs

Post by alert23 »

I was in Turin both nights during the summer tour and I have to say it was the best concert in my whole life. The guys know how to rock! I can't wait for the full gig being released on dvd! Muse is still the best rock band around nowadays.

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

I caught the new DVD in theatres this past weekend. It's easily one of the most impressive concert films I've ever seen from an audio and video standpoint - the mix is incredible, and definitely makes you feel like you're in the room.

All of the cut material is sorely missed, but at 90 minutes, it's a pretty great show.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

alert23 wrote:I was in Turin both nights during the summer tour and I have to say it was the best concert in my whole life. The guys know how to rock! I can't wait for the full gig being released on dvd! Muse is still the best rock band around nowadays.
Cool! I'm so bummed I didn't get to see them this tour.. I saw them once during The Resistance tour. That's still one of the best (if not THE best) shows I've ever been to. They're definitely one of the best rock bands around.
devv88 wrote:I caught the new DVD in theatres this past weekend. It's easily one of the most impressive concert films I've ever seen from an audio and video standpoint - the mix is incredible, and definitely makes you feel like you're in the room.

All of the cut material is sorely missed, but at 90 minutes, it's a pretty great show.
Yea, a lot of the fans are complaining about the songs they chose to cut, but I guess that's what die-hard fans do ;) I'm not gonna see it in a theatre myself, but I can't wait to buy this DVD!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/LTdyCHJJwnA[/youtube]

:dance
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

alert23
Bought The CDs

Post by alert23 »

Really? I think I know Muse enough to say this means nothing. They could even go more electronic on the next album and pretending that interview never happened. As far as I'm concerned I would better like them to explore new sounds and to mix between old and new elements in LP7

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Lol, I know what you mean. It's probably better to get excited after they've done some writing. They seem to really want it this time though, playing stuff like Agitated and Yes, Please live again.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

I don't care what sort of instrumentation they use as long as they write good songs. Unfortunately, I thought The 2nd Law was a bit lackluster in the songwriting department.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I've seriously tried to get into muse. I find some of their songs, like uprising, especially annoying. Like the guitar notes right after he says "victorious" make me smh. I feel like they try to hard to establish their own identity... if that makes sense. I need someone to give me some songs that are lesser known to get me into the band.

Like for example, when people were comparing Calm the Fire's intro to Muse, which songs were they referring to? Because I've yet to find one. I know a lot of my friends enjoy Muse, but I just can't see what the fuss is about and I would like to.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Uprising is one of my least favourite Muse songs, so don't let that song stop you ;) What Muse songs do you know already?

On your second question, I don't think they were really referring to specific songs. It's just the way they approached it: very theatric, almost operatic. If I had to name a few songs: Follow Me (though that's more electronic inspired), Unnatural Selection, United States Of Eurasia, Take a Bow, the Exogenesis trilogy on The Resistance.

Some of those songs are hard to get into though, so some songs I recommend for new fans: Plug In Baby, Citizen Erased (huge fan favourite), Bliss, Hysteria, Supremacy, New Born, Stockholm Syndrome (pick a live version), Butterflies and Hurricanes, Map Of The Problematique, Animals.

Most of those are still very popular though, so you might know some of them already. Lesser known songs I like are: Fury, Dead Star, City of Delusion, Space Dementia.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I'm listening to a lot of muse previews on itunes (i know it doesnt do it justice, but still) I like the song hysteria, but one thing I think is really annoying is the singer alot sings this muffled sounding note. He even does it in the verses in hysteria and I just think his voice sounds weird. He's singing really low, then for one note for no reason he tries to get up in his register and it doesnt sound very good. He does it alot I'm noticing.

I think my biggest problem is I just don't like the singer very much. I can see why people like them though, but the singer is not for me

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Download the album "Absolution" and listen through that once or twice. It's their most accessible and least prog style album. Also give the song "Knights of Cydonia" a go, especially with the video.

The singer just does falsetto a lot. It takes some getting used to and is fairly polarising. I know a couple of my friends can't get past that. The thing about Muse that I like is that they are constantly changing and when you think about it all from a songwriting perspective, what they do is amazingly difficult. Somehow though they make it sound very natural and much easier than it is.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I can see why people don't like Matt's voice, but I think it's a thing you get used to. I found out about them in 2006 and didn't really care that much about them. It took me 2 years to get from "hm, I kinda like this song" (Hysteria as well) to "wow, I really like this band". After that, my love for this band has only grown.

And I'd say Black Holes And Revelations is their most accesible album btw, but I absolutely agree with the rest of your post, Crumbso.

The audio of their new DVD is streaming on Spotify (and other places) btw!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

alert23
Bought The CDs

Post by alert23 »

If you are to start listening to music I would recommend the album Absolution. About Matt's voice I always thought it sounds amazing in the studio recordings. He's a skilled singer and has a very wide vocal range. That singing style you were talking about in Hysteria totally fits the theme of the album. It makes songs sound sad and powerful at the same time, like there's a sort of desperation in him while singing those songs.

Personal "have to listen" list:

- Butterflies & Hurricanes (the piano section is beautiful)
- Sing for Absolution
- Dead Star (if you want to get heavier)
- Citizen Erased (more progressive sound)
- Stockholm Syndrome
- Bliss (the live 8 2005 version has a falsetto chorus that shows Matt's talent)

About The 2nd Law: I think it has very good song ideas but it seems like it wasn't well finished and produced. Take a song like Liquid State that has a good riff and good tone but really lacks something that makes it special. Supremacy is btw one of Muse best sogs ever. Unsustainable was a risk (because it explores a genre that is usually far from what the fan would expect) but it was a won bet and live is amazing.

I'm sure they won't go back to their roots with LP7 whatever they could promise in any interview. Origin of Symmetry 2 would totally be out of place in 2014 and the whole band has grown up since 2001. So if they would ever try to do something similar to their early stuff, it would surely not sound good like the first 4 albums and they know it well. A winning move could be to try to integrate elements from their early works into the new album. I'd really like to listen to more "straight to the point" songs, some good guitar and bass riffs and a bit of rage in the vocals without tons and tons of instruments and orchestral work.

Muse are still the best modern rock band around and sometimes ambition to get even better makes you fail (see The Resistance). However in the last 5 years they lost some old fans that are disappoited with the path they have taken musically but gained the mainstream sucess and lots of new fans who really love the new stuff. Hope that could bring fresh air to a fanbase who can't do anything that is not complaining because they want to hear full Showbiz and OoS live. (Yes, this is a critique to the "old" fans who think new ones are crap)

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

alert23 wrote:About The 2nd Law: I think it has very good song ideas but it seems like it wasn't well finished and produced. Take a song like Liquid State that has a good riff and good tone but really lacks something that makes it special. Supremacy is btw one of Muse best sogs ever. Unsustainable was a risk (because it explores a genre that is usually far from what the fan would expect) but it was a won bet and live is amazing.
I agree that some songs could've been better. Mostly Chris' songs actually.. For the rest I think the songwriting is pretty good. I think Animals, Supremacy and Panic Station are some of their best songs ever. My main problem with T2L is that it's not really a cohessive album. Don't get me wrong, I like diverse sounding albums, but I thought it was a bit overkill on T2L.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Crumbso wrote:Download the album "Absolution" and listen through that once or twice. It's their most accessible and least prog style album. Also give the song "Knights of Cydonia" a go, especially with the video.

The singer just does falsetto a lot. It takes some getting used to and is fairly polarising. I know a couple of my friends can't get past that. The thing about Muse that I like is that they are constantly changing and when you think about it all from a songwriting perspective, what they do is amazingly difficult. Somehow though they make it sound very natural and much easier than it is.
I definitely agree with all of this. Absolution is a top 10 album of all time for me. All of their CD's are great in their own way though, and you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Butterflies and Hurricanes is possibly my favourite.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Has anybody seen the new DVD yet? It's beautiful.. I can't imagine how amazing it looked on a huge theatre screen, dev88. Definitely one of the best looking live DVD's I've ever seen..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.