What's the meaning of the last song you listened to?

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Tom
Jim's Brother

Re: What's the meaning of the last song you listened to?

Post by Tom »

DivCruz wrote:Not really a fan of the screaming but I think this is the first song where I actually understand most of the lyrics even with that voice. It's great! I think the "I'm the man you'll never know" is now stuck in my head.
listen to this, it's x100000 heavier off their second album. i love this shit

[youtube]http://youtu.be/S2KQ0FAOHsI[/youtube]

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Decay wrote:I love that song, it's so powerful ^
But 'Drive Home' is still my favorite off of that record.
It's hard to choose a favorite song on that record.. For me, it's either Raven, Drive Home or The Watchmaker (depends on my mood) and that's about 60% of the album, lol.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Decay

Post by Decay »

In Steven Wilson's own words:
''The song is based on a story but one that wasn’t mine; it was suggested to me by the guy [Hajo Mueller] who was illustrating, doing the artwork and the book. The idea is about a couple driving along in a car at night, very much in love; the guy is driving, and his partner – his wife or girlfriend or whoever she is – is in the passenger seat, and the next minute she’s gone.

The guy is crazy: What happened? Where did she go? He does all the obvious things: looks under the seats, stops and checks the road, all of that. The song is basically about missing time; it’s the idea of blocking out time because of something so traumatic that you literally remove it from your mind.

The story ultimately winds up with the ghost of the partner coming back, years later, and saying, ‘I’m going to remind you now what happened that night.’ There was a terrible car accident, and she died, etcetera, etcetera – again, the idea of trauma leading to a missing part of this guy’s life. He can’t deal with the reality of what happened, so he blocks it out – like taking a piece of tape and editing a big chunk out of it. It’s a sad, very beautiful song about loss.
''
[youtube]http://youtu.be/ycYewhiaVBk[/youtube]

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Really loved those two Steven Wilson songs/videos/stories (thanks Decay, Timo) - That's the first I've heard of his music actually. I may see if I can find and listen to some more. Does he have much of a discography?

Here's what I listened to last. Hope someone likes, the last minute or so is really beautiful :)

[youtube]http://youtu.be/1RCUJav54NU[/youtube]

And the meaning...

"It's just about missing somebody, not in a sad way but in a way that you are grateful for the time that you shared together and when you think of them... no matter what happened between you - you think of them with gratitude and you forgive them for the faults that were done. You set yourself free and you can kinda go on living, and then think about the person with love and be.... okay." - Marketa Irglova

Decay

Post by Decay »

Dan Dando wrote:Really loved those two Steven Wilson songs/videos/stories (thanks Decay, Timo) - That's the first I've heard of his music actually. I may see if I can find and listen to some more. Does he have much of a discography?

Here's what I listened to last. Hope someone likes, the last minute or so is really beautiful :)

[youtube]http://youtu.be/1RCUJav54NU[/youtube]

And the meaning...

"It's just about missing somebody, not in a sad way but in a way that you are grateful for the time that you shared together and when you think of them... no matter what happened between you - you think of them with gratitude and you forgive them for the faults that were done. You set yourself free and you can kinda go on living, and then think about the person with love and be.... okay." - Marketa Irglova
No prob, Dan D. :)

Hey, I actually found myself liking that song you posted. Nice, relaxing tune.

Decay

Post by Decay »

Now, onto Steven Wilson... He's a musical genius, yes! You should definitely check him out.

He's got 3 solo albums and 10 albums with Porcupine Tree. Their 'Lightbulb Sun', 'In Absentia', 'Deadwing' and 'Fear of a Blank Planet' are really good albums. Make sure you check those out, if you're into proggy music. You won't be disappointed.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Dan Dando wrote:Really loved those two Steven Wilson songs/videos/stories (thanks Decay, Timo) - That's the first I've heard of his music actually. I may see if I can find and listen to some more. Does he have much of a discography?
He's got a huge discography. He's done 3 solo records in the last 5 years, and has released about 10 records with Porcupine Tree. You can always check the Porcupine Tree in the 'Other Bands' section if you're interested. There's a bunch of info there :)

Edit: completely missed Decay's post, lol. Just woke up.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

DivCruz
Loyal Follower

Post by DivCruz »

Decay wrote:In Steven Wilson's own words:
''The song is based on a story but one that wasn’t mine; it was suggested to me by the guy [Hajo Mueller] who was illustrating, doing the artwork and the book. The idea is about a couple driving along in a car at night, very much in love; the guy is driving, and his partner – his wife or girlfriend or whoever she is – is in the passenger seat, and the next minute she’s gone.

The guy is crazy: What happened? Where did she go? He does all the obvious things: looks under the seats, stops and checks the road, all of that. The song is basically about missing time; it’s the idea of blocking out time because of something so traumatic that you literally remove it from your mind.

The story ultimately winds up with the ghost of the partner coming back, years later, and saying, ‘I’m going to remind you now what happened that night.’ There was a terrible car accident, and she died, etcetera, etcetera – again, the idea of trauma leading to a missing part of this guy’s life. He can’t deal with the reality of what happened, so he blocks it out – like taking a piece of tape and editing a big chunk out of it. It’s a sad, very beautiful song about loss.
''
[youtube]http://youtu.be/ycYewhiaVBk[/youtube]
Lyrics don't actually come to me the first time that's why I didn't quite get the story to this song but I love it because it's dreamy. Now I know. Pretty sad story but with relief I guess. At least he did remembered it now.

EDIT: Oh man the feels on that solo accompanied with the video. I creyd
Last edited by DivCruz on Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Decay wrote:Now, onto Steven Wilson... He's a musical genius, yes! You should definitely check him out.

He's got 3 solo albums and 10 albums with Porcupine Tree. Their 'Lightbulb Sun', 'In Absentia', 'Deadwing' and 'Fear of a Blank Planet' are really good albums. Make sure you check those out, if you're into proggy music. You won't be disappointed.
Glad you liked the song, man. The two singers (Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova) actually used to be in a relationship together, so it's been speculated that Marketa is kinda singing about Glen there. I always struggle not to lose man-points when I listen to it :shifty

Crikey. That's quite an undertaking, and I've never actually listened to any music of that kind - so I'm sure it'll be an adventure :lol Thanks though, mate. I shall check him (and them) out :)

Decay

Post by Decay »

Oh, I see... Well yeah, I do agree Marketa's dedicated that song to Glen.

Yup, it'll be an adventure. :lol
Check this out, it's epic:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/ug8CWIasWi8[/youtube]
[youtube]http://youtu.be/e9OLIzr66us[/youtube]
[youtube]http://youtu.be/AKeTD8E8Nkg[/youtube]

Steven's solo stuff, since you liked 'The Raven' and 'Drive Home'
[youtube]http://youtu.be/JCXMofHD76s[/youtube]
[youtube]http://youtu.be/2Hp6lYx4Fvw[/youtube]

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Thanks for that, Decay. I've checked out.. 'Buying New Soul' and 'Abandoner' and I have to give the thumbs up so far. I feel like it's music that's designed to be appreciated more as it unravels through repeated listens. I'm going to have to set aside a decent chunk of time tomorrow to try and give my full attention to a full album. That shouldn't be hard though as I'm an unemployed bum :lol

Decay

Post by Decay »

You're welcome, Dan.

Glad to hear you liked those two. I'm sure you'll come to like more of it, because, like you said, it's kind of music that's designed to be appreciated through repeated listens.

Know it's a bit off topic, but sucks that you're unemployed. Looks like it's just as hard to get a job in Wales, just like here where I live, in Serbia.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/LuC3n7brNmo[/youtube]

Not a fucking clue what this means but it's amazing :lol

2:50 onward is fucking awesome.

I guess if it is trying to say something it's to not stand for oppression.

DivCruz
Loyal Follower

Post by DivCruz »

Crumbso wrote:[youtube]http://youtu.be/LuC3n7brNmo[/youtube]

Not a fucking clue what this means but it's amazing :lol

2:50 onward is fucking awesome.

I guess if it is trying to say something it's to not stand for oppression.
I think you're right. I love this band. I first listened to them in Need For Speed Underground 2. :lol They mixed metal and reggae quite well and with the reggae influence, some songs were about against oppression thing which was used in most reggae songs.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Decay wrote:You're welcome, Dan.

Glad to hear you liked those two. I'm sure you'll come to like more of it, because, like you said, it's kind of music that's designed to be appreciated through repeated listens.

Know it's a bit off topic, but sucks that you're unemployed. Looks like it's just as hard to get a job in Wales, just like here where I live, in Serbia.
Ahh, yeah - it's my own fault. I left my job because it was getting me down... but I was foolish in that I left without having something else lined up. So I've been unemployed for nearly a year now and I've definitely learnt my lesson really. Sorry to hear that things are tough over there too, man.

Your football team is better than ours though :lol

Decay

Post by Decay »

Dan Dando wrote:
Decay wrote:You're welcome, Dan.

Ahh, yeah - it's my own fault. I left my job because it was getting me down... but I was foolish in that I left without having something else lined up. So I've been unemployed for nearly a year now and I've definitely learnt my lesson really. Sorry to hear that things are tough over there too, man.

Your football team is better than ours though :lol
I'm still in high school, but it'll be hard getting a job, though.

Nah, they both suck, we used to be good till we fell apart a year ago. :lol

BennyWhatever
Loyal Follower

Post by BennyWhatever »

+1 to the Swell Season. I love that band. Marketa is about to have a baby! Yay!
:yeahthat

Decay

Post by Decay »

This song was written by Mayer as response to Taylor Swift's song "Dear John", allegedly about her relationship with Mayer. Mayer mentioned in an interview that he was humiliated by "Dear John".
His response is a more sensitive action to contradict Swift's so emotional and finger pointing art.
[youtube]http://youtu.be/SKWWOOpBeZw[/youtube]

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

^ We're not sure of that. The media made it look that way, but John has never confirmed it.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Decay

Post by Decay »

He doesn't have to, there's some references that could confirm it. But if John wants to stay out of it, I respect that.