Guns N' Roses

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
BloodRedHalo
Bought The CDs

Guns N' Roses

Post by BloodRedHalo »

Discussion for all era's of the band welcome. From the classic Appetite/Lies/Illusions/Spaghetti Incident era of the band (1985- 1994) & the current lineup of the band from (1999 - 2011).

The classic line up of the band were inducted into the ROCK N' ROLL HALL OF FAME last April,

Please keep it civilized,

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: Guns N' Roses

Post by anguyen92 »

Can we post past videos of Axl Rose's infamous moments?

All right, in all seriousness, I wonder how big this band would have been if Slash, Duff, and Izzy did not leave? Could have been Zeppelin huge if it wasn't already in that time period.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Their 85-94 era is definitely a classic stuff, but after that..... just meh.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

ThravRande
Burn It Down

Post by ThravRande »

Welcome to the jungle, we've got tons of cake.
Myles Kennedy wrote:I think you're as sharp as.... whatever's sharp.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

AFD and the Illusions are still three of my all time favorite records. I can't believe we only now have a GNR thread. I guess it's similar to a lot of other legendary bands - they're just understood to be good, so there's not a whole lot to discuss.

I've seen them twice - in 2006 and I think 2011. Both were great shows in their own right. I'd kill to see the original lineup as well, though I've given up hope at this point.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

BloodRedHalo wrote:The classic line up of the band were inducted into the ROCK N' ROLL HALL OF FAME last April
Yea, too bad Axl wasn't there.. They hired this other singer who did a pretty decent job. I forgot his name.

:shifty
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

It's hard to believe that such an iconic, loved, top-tier rock and roll band like GnR only existed for a few years and put out 3 real albums. I'm not counting Spaghetti Incident, and everything beyond that is not GnR, regardless of who "owns" and uses the name. Rose n' Roses might be a decent band to see live today (depending on Axl's condition that day), but it's basically a cover band.

That said, the era from Appetite to Illusions I and II left an indelible mark on music history, and like I say, I can't believe they did so much in so little time compared to so many of the other great bands who exist for decades and keep on putting out new stuff.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

The fact that a band could make the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on 1st ballot after only releasing 3 records and having such a short time together is remarkable. They're one of the biggest rock bands of all time as it is, but imagine where they'd rank if they kept going.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Chinese Democracy is actually an album I enjoy a lot, after putting the "Guns N' Roses" name out of my mind. Buckethead's an immense player. Not so big a fan of his replacement.

Unrelated thought - Coma's creeping into my top 5 GN'R songs.

I also reckon the "what if they'd stayed together?" question is basically asking "what if Axl wasn't such a douche?", and Axl being a douche is part of what makes him brilliant.
For all of the hope that it brings...

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Not going to lie. The Illusion albums could have been one awesome album. Instead, there is so much filler, I can't listen to them front to back. And half of those filler songs are just Axl ranting about things. The rest (Civil War, November Rain, You Could Be Mine, Yesterday, Coma, Knockin', ect) is absolutely amazing and almost on par with Appetite, which I can say nothing bad about. What a lethal record.

But is that enough to get a band in the HoF?
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

I disagree; I don't think there's a single filler on the Illusions albums.

Agreed about Axl's douchiness - his genius is also his downfall.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I'm not trying to start an argument, but do you really think Double Talkin Jive, Perfect Crime, Don't Damn Me, Pretty Tied Up, ect are strong additions to the albums? Nearly the whole 2nd side (and parts of the first) of Use Your Illusion 1 are nearly unlistenable fo me. To each their own, but when I was a 13 year old kid (20 years ago) those tracks were painfull to sit through.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Hmmm, I can understand that. I'm trying to do my best to listen to November Rain in its entirety, but I can't fathom that song for some reason. In all honesty, and I'm only basing this on the singles, I'm not a huge fan of Use Your Illusion GNR. Some of them is ok. I just don't know that if I want to try to listen to it in its entirety.

Now Appetite for Destruction is definitely an album that I can go ahead, fire it up, listen to it in its entirety, find no problems with it, and enjoy nearly the entire hour of it (The only blight of that album is the moaning in Rocket Queen, man thank goodness there's no moaning when anyone plays it live).

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

darkstorm97 wrote:I'm not trying to start an argument, but do you really think Double Talkin Jive, Perfect Crime, Don't Damn Me, Pretty Tied Up, ect are strong additions to the albums? Nearly the whole 2nd side (and parts of the first) of Use Your Illusion 1 are nearly unlistenable fo me. To each their own, but when I was a 13 year old kid (20 years ago) those tracks were painfull to sit through.
No worries, we can have a discussion without it being an argument. :)

To answer your question, I love those songs! (Okay, maybe with the exception of Pretty Tied Up). Double Talkin Jive has like coolest outro! The other two are just straight up, hard hitting rock tunes.

Anguyen, you should really give the albums a shot. There's a lot of great stuff on both!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

anguyen92 wrote:Hmmm, I can understand that. I'm trying to do my best to listen to November Rain in its entirety, but I can't fathom that song for some reason..
Maybe it's not your thing, but my god.. I think it's one of the best songs ever made. There are 3 Slash solo's in it, and I'd consider all 3 of them to be in the top 10 solo's ever made.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Double Talkin' Jive rules! Izzy vocals and cool flamencoish solo! And the riff.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

How can you not like November Rain?!?!
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Macca wrote:How can you not like November Rain?!?!
I reserve the right to not like November Rain like some people here reserve the right to not like AIW. I just think it is just a song where I just don't see myself listening to every once in a while, on my playlist, or even radio for that matter.

I'm a huge sucker for ballads (especially Sweet Child O' Mine), but I just think imo, that this song is not going to work out for me imo, but I respect those that like the apporach and the technicality that GNR were going for at the time.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

What is it about "November Rain" that you don't like? Too much strings? Too sappy? Of course you have every right not to like it; I'm just curious why.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ Yeah, that's essentially it. I just felt that it dragged on a bit too long and that I was not really sucked into it like the other long 7+ min. songs I listen to (Blackbird, Fozzy's Wormwood and Storm The Beaches, Shinedown's Lady So Divine, Stairway).