Surviving Nirvana members playing with McCartney, tonight?

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Surviving Nirvana members playing with McCartney, tonight?

Post by anguyen92 »

Feel free to delete this if it is not interesting enough.

Wow, this could be another dream come true for Dave Grohl to play with yet another big figure in rock and roll.
There are rumors that the greatest thing ever may happen tonight at the 12-12-12 Hurricane Sandy benefit concert tonight at New York City’s Madison Square Garden. Nirvana musicians Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic and Pat Smear will reportedly take the stage tonight with Beatles legend Paul McCartney for a once-in-a-lifetime performance.

According to British tabloid The Sun, McCartney will front a Nirvana reunion of sorts tonight, filling in for the late Kurt Cobain, who died in 1994. However, the musical collective will not be performing a Nirvana song, but a new original tune instead.

McCartney reportedly called Dave Grohl for a chat, which led to the Nirvana drummer and Foo Fighters frontman inviting McCartney for an impromptu jam session with Novoselic and Smear. “I didn’t really know who they were,” begins McCartney. “They are saying how good it is to be back together. I said ‘Whoa? You guys haven’t played together for all that time?’ And somebody whispered to me, ‘That’s Nirvana. You’re Kurt.’ I couldn’t believe it.”

The story may seem bizarre, but it has generated worldwide buzz for what could be one of the great performances of our time. NME magazine even asked fans on Twitter to come up with their own Nirvana/Beatles song titles, with hilarious mashups such as ‘Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heart-Shaped Box,’ Penny Lane Royal Tea’ and ‘You’ve Got to Hide Your Courtney Love Away’ having already been conceived.

In other 12-12-12 news, Pink Floyd legend Roger Waters confirmed on ‘Jimmy Fallon’ last night that he would be performing with Pearl Jam‘s Eddie Vedder at the charitable event.

The 12-12-12 concert can be seen on a number of television channels tonight at 7:30PM ET. It will also be streaming on several websites.
http://loudwire.com/paul-mccartney-repo ... 2-concert/

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: Surviving Nirvana members playing with McCartney, tonigh

Post by Timotheus »

Interesting choice. I wouldn't really call it a reunion though. Did they call it a reunion themselves? I doubt they'll even play Nirvana songs..
But it should be an interesting performance! :)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ I don't know but, like you say, it should be interesting and unique and odd and hopefully, good and fun.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Yes. Kurt was a huge McCartney fan btw. Love that :)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

I'm really not interested in Nirvana or Paul McCartney, but I'd love to see this. Shame I'll probably miss the whole concert though. I have to attend a stupid dinner.

Josiah

Post by Josiah »

abw1987 wrote:I'm really not interested in Nirvana or Paul McCartney
:wtf

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

All right, I manage to to see the actual performance and it was pretty darn good. It wasn't really a Nirvana performance per se and they were not playing grunge with McCartney. It was mainly four elderly great rock musicians playing something that they jammed the last few days and it had this classic rock feel to it. Plus, Dave Grohl is such an f'en beast on the drums.

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

Josiah wrote:
abw1987 wrote:I'm really not interested in Nirvana or Paul McCartney
:wtf
I'm not either. Wanty fight aboot it?
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

I find it funny seeing Cobain fans online saying that this performance and referring to it as Nirvana is 'blasphemy'. It really grinds my gears that people still treat Cobain like he was a fucking martyr. Dude was a subpar musician at best.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

NytestrykerZ wrote:Dude was a subpar musician at best.
Agree 110%.