FUEL 2013 = Puppet Strings

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Devil Inside You
Isolated

Re: FUEL 2013 = Puppet Strings

Post by Devil Inside You »

I'm waiting to give a complete review until I can listen to the album from beginning to end. I did preview it on itunes. I noticed all the songs on the latter half of the album are better than what was released beforehand. From what I heard the music was fine and Carl even showed off some pretty cool solos. But John's voice is just so faceless that its hard to get into. We'll see

Devil Inside You
Isolated

I'm surprised at the Shinedown and Breaking Benjamin hate. Especially since Ember and Attention Attention are a million times more inspired and interesting than Anamoly. Fuel is in my top 5 favorite bands but that most recent Shinedown album destroys the last three Fuel records. Black Soul and The Human Radio are pretty cool if any of you are curious.

As for Breaking Benjamin, Red Cold River, Feed the Wolf and Tourniquet are as good as anything off Marching in Time. There's good modern rock albums out there but Anamoly isn't among it.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Mr. Slash wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:47 pm
Dolo wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:57 pm Just listened to that record and sure, it's cliche, generic and desperate but....... 2/10? Come on, it still destroys a lot of contemporary pop or the stuff that certain YouTubers (that pretend to be musicians) put out. If this album is bad, than so is the majority of what bands like Skillet, Halestorm, Shinedown and Breaking Benjamin are doing at the moment.
Which Youtubers do you mean?
I'm sure that things like that exist in Europe and the US but I've got two Polish examples. Some YouTubers with huge following set up those groups of smaller influencers that then move into a big ass mansion and create content as a whole, including (boy, oh boy.....) music.

The whole thing is obviously autotuned to oblivion, the lyrics revolve around money and partying and they keep on showing off expensive cars, mansions and yachts in music videos. That's pretty toxic cause it's pushing that materialist agenda into the minds of young people.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Ah, yes of course. I thought you were referring to guitar Youtubers.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Devil Inside You wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:05 pm I'm surprised at the Shinedown and Breaking Benjamin hate. Especially since Ember and Attention Attention are a million times more inspired and interesting than Anamoly. Fuel is in my top 5 favorite bands but that most recent Shinedown album destroys the last three Fuel records. Black Soul and The Human Radio are pretty cool if any of you are curious.

As for Breaking Benjamin, Red Cold River, Feed the Wolf and Tourniquet are as good as anything off Marching in Time. There's good modern rock albums out there but Anamoly isn't among it.
In the case of shinedown, after amaryllis I thought they just turned to complete trash. It's the same thing with Muse, after the resistance i couldn't stand them anymore. And the older I get the less I like even that music.
Dolo wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:21 am
Mr. Slash wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:47 pm
Dolo wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:57 pm Just listened to that record and sure, it's cliche, generic and desperate but....... 2/10? Come on, it still destroys a lot of contemporary pop or the stuff that certain YouTubers (that pretend to be musicians) put out. If this album is bad, than so is the majority of what bands like Skillet, Halestorm, Shinedown and Breaking Benjamin are doing at the moment.
Which Youtubers do you mean?
I'm sure that things like that exist in Europe and the US but I've got two Polish examples. Some YouTubers with huge following set up those groups of smaller influencers that then move into a big ass mansion and create content as a whole, including (boy, oh boy.....) music.

The whole thing is obviously autotuned to oblivion, the lyrics revolve around money and partying and they keep on showing off expensive cars, mansions and yachts in music videos. That's pretty toxic cause it's pushing that materialist agenda into the minds of young people.
I mean, yeah, these things are hilariously bad but that's just pop music. You're not comparing Anomoly to its peers with that point. By peers I mean fellow modern rock music with that specific example so it's kind of a moot point in that regard. Apples to oranges.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

nagpo wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:18 am I mean, yeah, these things are hilariously bad but that's just pop music. You're not comparing Anomoly to its peers with that point. By peers I mean fellow modern rock music with that specific example so it's kind of a moot point in that regard. Apples to oranges.
Sure, I was just responding to people giving it 2/10. I don't honestly know how bad a record should be to rate it that low - I guess if the production was garage-like, the vocals were out of tune and the whole thing was unbearable. Anomaly is obviously mediocre, boring and cheesy but the production is solid and the songs are catchy.

I also think that if you decide to rate music you have to look at it from the perspective of all the music that is out there and not just the bands from the same genre. That's why I mentioned that YouTube pop nonsense with regard to Fuel's new release.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Dolo wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:25 am
nagpo wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:18 am I mean, yeah, these things are hilariously bad but that's just pop music. You're not comparing Anomoly to its peers with that point. By peers I mean fellow modern rock music with that specific example so it's kind of a moot point in that regard. Apples to oranges.
Sure, I was just responding to people giving it 2/10. I don't honestly know how bad a record should be to rate it that low - I guess if the production was garage-like, the vocals were out of tune and the whole thing was unbearable. Anomaly is obviously mediocre, boring and cheesy but the production is solid and the songs are catchy.

I also think that if you decide to rate music you have to look at it from the perspective of all the music that is out there and not just the bands from the same genre. That's why I mentioned that YouTube pop nonsense with regard to Fuel's new release.
Everyone has their own means of rating. What works best for me is rating it within the context of the band's discography. Numerical ratings are too confusing for me too. Lol I think The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here is the worst Alice in Chains album but its better than 4/5 of Puddle of Mudd's albums.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Finally listened to it. I can't really add anything that hasn't already been said. Its nice to hear Carl's writing again but its held back a lot by Corsale's generic vocals and the rushed production.

The Only Ones is my favorite song on the album but its so damn short that it feels incomplete. Give shows off Carl's country roots but overall this is a let down. It would have been better if Carl sang instead.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I wouldn't even pirate this album. That's how bad it is.

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Post by Schulzy »

I've heard a couple of songs from this album on Pandora and none of them were very memorable. Disappointing that the album has such poor reviews as Something Like Human was one of my favorite albums back in high school and college.
_^:Tangled in your trance and I'm certain:^_

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Brett's Melody Brothers record is sounding pretty good so far. You can hear some clips on his facebook. Way better than the latest fuel record.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

i liked Hard and Landslide

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Have you guys ever heard this? Easily one of the best Fuel songs ever and he dropped it from Puppet Strings. Hopefully he uses it again in The Melody Brothers

He's also not going solo anymore. Strictly Melody Brothers. I think that's a very bad decision since his name carries more weight but hey.

Also apparently Carl Bell put the fork in the reunion. Before COVID Brett was trying to get the original lineup back together and Carl put a stop to it

https://youtu.be/0w7xb70CSLw

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

We dont know the full story. Carl wrote the majority of the music so maybe there was conflict there?

From their old ep from Fuel you have the songs Sunday Girl and Nothing. Theyre good.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Fuel fired John Corsale and hired Aaron Scott. Who you may remember as the guy who covered Hemorrhage on the voice a few years back. He sounds much more like Brett than Corsale. Honestly, they should have just started with him from the start

https://youtu.be/snA5YpNKMuU

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

if it ain't brett just end the band.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

According to their website, Brett's Melody Brothers project already has an album title. But what's interesting is there's conflicting info on the website as to what the album even is. Its either:

- Concrete and Deserts (one album)

Or

- Concrete. Deserts. (Two albums; one called Concrete and the other Deserts)

It would be nice getting a double Brett Scallions record after nearly a decade of no new music but it remains to be seen. Brett said he just signed a bunch of copies though so we should know before long

Devil Inside You
Isolated

First new Brett song in almost a decade. I'm guessing their record deal fell through because they are no longer The Melody Brothers but now 'Radiobot'. Their debut single is a Bob Dylan cover.......

Really really dislike it. I don't like Bob Dylan, I don't like the production and Brett's vocals are very rough. Hopefully the later stuff is better but this along with Anomaly have made for a very disappointing time to be a Fuel fan

https://youtu.be/v2RFZdchguw?si=L3yoh3W2ktGujvVl

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Second single from Brett's new project. Its a significant improvement. Basically Brett's interpretation of Americana and the melody to the song is really catchy. You can tell he was already planning something like this around Puppet Strings. His voice sounds better here than the Bob Dylan cover.

https://youtu.be/STNjZOmLKLw?si=HG9DApmdb5GtjuSj

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

kinda boring tbh