Mammoth WVH (Wolfgang Van Halen) - Distance

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
User avatar
MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:12 pm

Mammoth WVH (Wolfgang Van Halen) - Distance

Postby MidnightToker » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:03 pm

Wow, this is great.


austin.
On The Rail
Posts: 1223
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Mammoth WVH (Wolfgang Van Halen) - Distance

Postby austin. » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:06 pm

I’m not crying. You are.

Sounds like daughtry x Creed x goo goo dolls. I like the high vocal nuisances like he did with Tremonti.

User avatar
Andy92
You Waste Your Time
Posts: 13705
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: Mammoth WVH (Wolfgang Van Halen) - Distance

Postby Andy92 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:39 pm

That is such an amazing song and video tribute.

He has a great voice for lead vocals too. Really looking forward to hearing that solo album.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

austin.
On The Rail
Posts: 1223
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Mammoth WVH (Wolfgang Van Halen) - Distance

Postby austin. » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:59 pm

I had the privilege of meeting Wolfgang after a show on the inaugural Tremonti tour, and I was like man do you have a pick? Young man reached in his pocket and gave me one he’d used that night. I’ll never forget that moment. One of the nicest guys I’ve ever met in my life. Seemed like a kid in candy store just all around joyous

This will be my song to my dad whenever that day comes.

I wonder just how proud Mark is of Wolfie. Was Wolfgang going on the road with Tremonti his first big venture? It may not have been. But I remember he was very young then. I was 19 I think then and 26 now. He’s what 29? Seemed like just some cool dude you’d want to jam music with and now he’s growing up. Cool guy man. Hate Eddie is gone.

User avatar
anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator
Posts: 9613
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:31 pm
Location: California

Re: Mammoth WVH (Wolfgang Van Halen) - Distance

Postby anguyen92 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:35 pm

austin. wrote:I had the privilege of meeting Wolfgang after a show on the inaugural Tremonti tour, and I was like man do you have a pick? Young man reached in his pocket and gave me one he’d used that night. I’ll never forget that moment. One of the nicest guys I’ve ever met in my life. Seemed like a kid in candy store just all around joyous

This will be my song to my dad whenever that day comes.

I wonder just how proud Mark is of Wolfie. Was Wolfgang going on the road with Tremonti his first big venture? It may not have been. But I remember he was very young then. I was 19 I think then and 26 now. He’s what 29? Seemed like just some cool dude you’d want to jam music with and now he’s growing up. Cool guy man. Hate Eddie is gone.


I mean doing tours with Tremonti was probably his first big venture outside of doing Van Halen tours back around the late 2000s when he was younger.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: Mammoth WVH (Wolfgang Van Halen) - Distance

Postby ToNsOFuN88 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:32 am

Another song You're to Blame at around the 50ish minute mark in this Howard Stern interview. It sounds awesome!

https://youtu.be/u3kw5J1Nt9g

George
White Knuckled
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:51 am
Location: Brazil

Re: Mammoth WVH (Wolfgang Van Halen) - Distance

Postby George » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:18 am

The guy has a great voice, reminds me of Chris Daughtry when he goes higher.

Nice song, but the mix doesn't sound good to me.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

User avatar
anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator
Posts: 9613
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:31 pm
Location: California

Re: Mammoth WVH (Wolfgang Van Halen) - Distance

Postby anguyen92 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:44 pm

Well, guess who mixed and produced these songs? You guessed it. Elvis and his crew. They get a lot of work. It's not just Mark and Myles that keeps insisting on working with Elvis on everything (AB and solo). Slash, Sevendust (and their side projects as well), and Wolfgang Van Halen feels like he's the right guy for the job unlike what people say about him.

https://twitter.com/WolfVanHalen/status ... 0382357504

austin.
On The Rail
Posts: 1223
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Mammoth WVH (Wolfgang Van Halen) - Distance

Postby austin. » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:45 pm

anguyen92 wrote:
austin. wrote:I had the privilege of meeting Wolfgang after a show on the inaugural Tremonti tour, and I was like man do you have a pick? Young man reached in his pocket and gave me one he’d used that night. I’ll never forget that moment. One of the nicest guys I’ve ever met in my life. Seemed like a kid in candy store just all around joyous

This will be my song to my dad whenever that day comes.

I wonder just how proud Mark is of Wolfie. Was Wolfgang going on the road with Tremonti his first big venture? It may not have been. But I remember he was very young then. I was 19 I think then and 26 now. He’s what 29? Seemed like just some cool dude you’d want to jam music with and now he’s growing up. Cool guy man. Hate Eddie is gone.


I mean doing tours with Tremonti was probably his first big venture outside of doing Van Halen tours back around the late 2000s when he was younger.



Ahh I wasn’t sure if the Van Halen tours were before or after his time in Tremonti. Thanks for that info.

1.1 million YouTube views in a day. Happy for Wolfgang.

User avatar
Mr. Slash
On The Rail
Posts: 1481
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:40 am
Location: Germany

Re: Mammoth WVH (Wolfgang Van Halen) - Distance

Postby Mr. Slash » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:38 pm

anguyen92 wrote:Well, guess who mixed and produced these songs? You guessed it. Elvis and his crew. They get a lot of work. It's not just Mark and Myles that keeps insisting on working with Elvis on everything (AB and solo). Slash, Sevendust (and their side projects as well), and Wolfgang Van Halen feels like he's the right guy for the job unlike what people say about him.

https://twitter.com/WolfVanHalen/status ... 0382357504

I'm not surprised. These "Ahhhhh-" backing vocals have some AB vibe to them. Seems like Elvis is the producer of every band connected to the Myles/Mark universe (despite Stapp).

The song itself is great. Now I can see why he doesn't play bass for Tremonti anymore. He is way too talented for being just a random bass player.

User avatar
Crumbso
On The Rail
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:32 pm

Re: Mammoth WVH (Wolfgang Van Halen) - Distance

Postby Crumbso » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:26 am

Distance is a lovely tribute but not quite my style. You're to Blame is getting more on my wavelength. I'll be very interested to hear what the rest of the album is like. Hopefully a bit more of the eccentricity that EVH showed rubbed off on WVH than what is in these songs (though they are good songs).
Image

User avatar
anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator
Posts: 9613
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:31 pm
Location: California

Re: Mammoth WVH (Wolfgang Van Halen) - Distance

Postby anguyen92 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:05 pm

Well, this is an interesting cast for the live band. Garrett is going to be the touring drummer? This whole tree of connections is getting too out of hand for my taste and I'm all for the connections.

When live shows are able to happen again and Van Halen is ready to share his new Mammoth WVH songs from the stage, Slash guitarist Frank Sidoris, Tremonti drummer Garrett Whitlock and bassist Ronnie Ficarro will be joining him.


https://loudwire.com/wolfgang-van-halen ... m=referral

austin.
On The Rail
Posts: 1223
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Mammoth WVH (Wolfgang Van Halen) - Distance

Postby austin. » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:10 pm

Mr. Slash wrote:
anguyen92 wrote:Well, guess who mixed and produced these songs? You guessed it. Elvis and his crew. They get a lot of work. It's not just Mark and Myles that keeps insisting on working with Elvis on everything (AB and solo). Slash, Sevendust (and their side projects as well), and Wolfgang Van Halen feels like he's the right guy for the job unlike what people say about him.

https://twitter.com/WolfVanHalen/status ... 0382357504

I'm not surprised. These "Ahhhhh-" backing vocals have some AB vibe to them. Seems like Elvis is the producer of every band connected to the Myles/Mark universe (despite Stapp).

The song itself is great. Now I can see why he doesn't play bass for Tremonti anymore. He is way too talented for being just a random bass player.


He would hit those notes live and on Cauterize with Tremonti going even higher than Erock, I think. I’m no singer. But I think Wolfgangs tenure with Tremonti really influenced the haunting howls we hear Erock do some in his later stuff.
I really miss Wolfgang in the band as his bass was the tightest of anyone Mark has had IMO and he had a great singing voice for the parts he was needed for. He fit I thought, but I mean.... he’d just got off the road with Arena shows with his dad to..... no offense but club shows with Tremonti. Wolfgang was bigger than that and he knew it but I don’t think there was any animosity at all.

Edit Garrett and Wolfgang on tour together? Both absolute beasts. Wow that’s awesome. I can’t wait to see this show!


Return to “Other Bands/Music”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest