The Official SHINEDOWN Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Will
Still Remains

Re: The Official SHINEDOWN Thread

Post by Will »

I used to be a bigger fan than I am now. Havent even bothered listening to Amaryllis. Shinedown are now writing the same song over and over. Every song comes across as a single attempt its so transparent. They have a created a formula for success so more power to them.
PHOTOSHOPPING IS FOR SCHMUCKS

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

There are so many reasons as to why that is..

TheConspirator
Brand New Start

Post by TheConspirator »

Brent Smith has an incredible voice but I feel like Amaryllis, collectively, was weak. There are a few songs that I really enjoy like "Unity", "Bully" and "Enemies", but I really don't enjoy the title track or really any of the other songs on that album. .45 still stands as the greatest Shinedown song ever IMO.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

I feel the same^
Thanks Timo!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Couple videos from TeamRock with Brent. Work on the 5th album will start in January and they'll also be working on a movie/documentary talking about the past 10 years as a band. Sounds like they may have some interviews from older members on it as well.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/XZDLMKAaqnw[/youtube]
[youtube]http://youtu.be/3K-HAjyCrWw[/youtube]
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

ESPImperium
Bought The CDs

Post by ESPImperium »

^ I hear it may be a bit of a concert DVD/BD like Godsmacks one, where you have a 14-16 song live set with the band talking in-between each track in a Sound & Story style thing. Like Iron Maidens one where they traveled the globe.

So about 2 hours 30 mins long. Might be a bit overkill for Shinedown, but will be a good DVD/BD. I think it will be released after they get a concert recorded after they include their next studio album.

Might be good, if they get the right director and producer.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Man. I love this band's music. Its such a shame that I don't even want to see them live because of their cheesy attempts to inspire me and then not even really sing the song. If I want to listen to the album version of the song, I'll just put my headphones on. I hate this about them, because I really did love these guys

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Ya know.. Since being a fan since 2003/04 of these guys; I'm really fucked off that I've lost like 80% faith in them as people. The music still rocks, for the most part.. But I just find Zach and Brent so unbelievably pretentious and false nowadays it kills me. There are so many things WRONG about their activity that turns me off them.. Things that Alter Bridge, Black Stone Cherry and 3 Doors Down naturally don't do as people and celebrities.

Watching those videos, I just don't believe a sing word he's saying. Whereas when I watched their mini documentary on their very first DVD in 2005; at the time, i believed him... Now i look back on it and realise how jaded they were at the time. I dunno, Shinedown will always be in my top 5 bands ever. It's just a shame they've changed so much, SO much. #selfie #sneakers #hairgel

Lukeage
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Lukeage »

So much cliche in those videos.

Shinedown are one of those bands who need to stop making music now because they used to be good and now they're just shit and clearly in it for the money and just saying what they think they should be saying rather than actually talking from the heart... much like Nickelback and Hinder. Just cut them off now.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I just wish they'd play music instead of sitting their and trying to inspire me with your life decisions. We understand.... you're a huge rock star so you mustve been through a lot. What a poor life you live. Wipe the tears away with your millions.

And the fans are in total denial about it as well. I guess if Myles was lip syncing I wouldn't want to believe it either, but I'd feel like I'd accept it eventually. Its not even the music that pisses me off about them (although I thought amaryllis was a shite album) its just what they do. I have a lot of trouble supporting bands that I can't support as people. Worry about being a good human first off. It sounds weird, but I would rather you be a good person and a shite musician then the other way around. At least I can respect you and can take your lyrics seriously. I can't listen to shinedown and say to myself "wow these words are genuine." In other words, I can't relate to the lyrics. Shinedown and Alter Bridge could make a song with the exact same lyrics and I would relate more to the AB one because of who the guys are.

cesargil
Brand New Start

Post by cesargil »

Anyone really knows WHY Jasin Todd did leave Shinedown?

I think it was talked a lot of times here, but I really don't know why he did leave Shinedown in 2007. Could anyone tell me?

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

AB23 wrote:I just wish they'd play music instead of sitting their and trying to inspire me with your life decisions. We understand.... you're a huge rock star so you mustve been through a lot. What a poor life you live. Wipe the tears away with your millions.

And the fans are in total denial about it as well. I guess if Myles was lip syncing I wouldn't want to believe it either, but I'd feel like I'd accept it eventually. Its not even the music that pisses me off about them (although I thought amaryllis was a shite album) its just what they do. I have a lot of trouble supporting bands that I can't support as people. Worry about being a good human first off. It sounds weird, but I would rather you be a good person and a shite musician then the other way around. At least I can respect you and can take your lyrics seriously. I can't listen to shinedown and say to myself "wow these words are genuine." In other words, I can't relate to the lyrics. Shinedown and Alter Bridge could make a song with the exact same lyrics and I would relate more to the AB one because of who the guys are.
Totally. Good post, man. I know for sure that I wouldn't be as big an Alter Bridge fan if Myles, Mark, Brian and Flip were clearly... ass-holes... for lack of a better word.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

To make a comparison, the evolution of Shinedown on the past couple of albums remind me alot of Def Leppard. DL rocked the world with Hysteria. So many hits that allowed them to tour the world. Then a few years later they release this overly poppy, pristinely produced album, Adrenalize. While there are a handful of good songs on there, it just comes across as ball-less and contrived. That is the difference for me between SoM and Amaryllis. They let success (or the record label) mess with their heads. Hopefully this new album is raw and unrelenting with only a couple of mid-tempo songs.

They have to change, or they are losing me as a fan. Seen them on the last two album cycles, and this last time they only played one song off of Us and Them. Brent could have cut out a speech or two and played Heroes.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

One Drew Remains wrote: They have to change, or they are losing me as a fan. Seen them on the last two album cycles, and this last time they only played one song off of Us and Them. Brent could have cut out a speech or two and played Heroes.
:yeahthat
Shinedown have changed. Not for the better. It's unfortunate because they were my first favorite band. They were so raw back then. Brent actually meant what he said. It all just seems too fake and theatrical now.
Thanks Timo!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Did things really drastically change for the worst between the time they filmed the acoustic set of Somewhere in the Stratosphere (around late 2010, I think) to now?

Here's what I said about that acoustic set which I hold in a high regards.
Everyone was playing pretty solid. Brent's voice was very solid and as real as it can be.

Yes, Brent talked a lot in this show, but it was not much of the buzz words that you may hear him say during today's live set from their shows. It was pretty much, him, divulging some pretty good background and context of their songs which is always nice to hear. Anyway, it's a good and intimate show to watch and was well worth the time, for me.
Of course, I kinda bought the speeches that Brent said when they played in the LA County Fair because A. It's a free show. I might as well make the most enthusiasm out of it and B. I'm at my 1st concert which a fave five band is playing at.

We'll see what happens in the upcoming album.

Tom
Jim's Brother

Post by Tom »

i barely listen to shinedown anymore, for me Amaryllis is nothing special, at all.

I wish i could have seen Shinedown live in like 2008 when Sound of Madness just came out because these day's it's just become SO fake and staged. I mean when i saw them support AB, brent was giving out fucking roses to fans on the slower songs? Where the fuck is the rock and roll in that!? Not digging it at all. Leave a Whisper and Sound of Madness are perfect, Amaryllis can sit on a cactus. I miss old Shinedown.

'IMO'

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

I've been there since the LEAVE A WHISPER days. My first Shinedown show was when they were opening for 3 Doors Down, about six months after their debut dropped. I've since seen them at least once per cycle, though I haven't been out for AMARYLLIS. If you ask me, they were at their absolute peak live during the US AND THEM cycle.

The Shinedown / Silvertide tour in '06? Oh my lord.

Peyton
Bought The CDs

Post by Peyton »

I didn't even buy the new one

Outright
White Knuckled

Post by Outright »

The current album is awful. I'll Follow You and Nowhere Kids are highlights, but can't hold a candle to any of their classics. I knew after the huge success of Second Chance that they'd work entirely around that one song. The 4th and the 1st album share nothing in common and it's so sad.
You should never come this way
To test the hands of fate
You don't belong here

mtshaw3
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mtshaw3 »

You guys talking about SoM being their old stuff are making me feel old because i'm like devv88... i've been listening since Leave a Whisper... and THAT was when they were AMAZING! Us and Them was pretty good, but Leave a Whisper was just top notch stuff from beginning to end. There are few albums that I can listen to from beginning to end and not skip a song, LaW is one, along with Submersed's In Due Time. And I definitely agree that they've become far too theatrical. Saw them opening on the 3DD/AB/Shinedown tour and they were incredible. Saw them do Carnival of Madness with Chevelle and a few others and they were just soooooooooo cheesy at times and Brent was definitely lip syncing.
Huge thanks to Andy! Love my new sig!