The Doctor Who Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

The Doctor Who Thread

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Any fans out there? I just finished season 2 in tears. Those who have watched probably understand why, haha. Trying to catch up to the current season and loving it.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Re: The Doctor Who Thread

Post by abw1987 »

It's on my Netflix Instant queue but I haven't gotten around to watching it, mainly because I hardly have time to commit to a new show. I've heard it's pretty spectacular, though.

ThravRande
Burn It Down

Post by ThravRande »

asdfghjkl;

I'm kind of a fan... I even have my own sonic!

I've seen the entire new series twice through, and I'm still collecting the classic seasons. The end of the second season is pretty heartbreaking, it's probably the worst next to the midseason finale of the 7th. The end of the third season is a lot easier on you. Still sad, but it ends on a rather funny note. I just watched it tonight, actually.

Have you ever heard of Chameleon Circuit? They're a band that write nothing but Who themed music. Not exactly my typical genre interest, but pretty cool, none the less, the sheer amount of how many songs they have, based simply off the episodes.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/BAi4izfvXo4[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/98rtEm7sUsU[/youtube]

I'm sure I'll think of some more stuff to fangirl about here sooner or later, but I've gotta hit the hay for now. Enjoy!
Myles Kennedy wrote:I think you're as sharp as.... whatever's sharp.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

I got into the show pretty recently, and I've watched some of Tennant and all of Matt Smith except for the Christmas episode and beyond. A lot of my friends like the show, but I resisted getting into it for a really long time. From what I had seen, and still see, the Doctor Who "fandom" is largely pretty awful. I've never encountered more obsessive and annoying fans of a show. Most of them are okay, but the worst ones are of course the loudest. The show itself is all right, to me. I liked Tennant's run much better but that's mostly because Amy and Rory kinda sucked sometimes and the show's writing got pretty bad. The most recent season nearly made me quit because it was so lame.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

QwikSand
TABN.com Citizen

Post by QwikSand »

I love the show, from the 9th Doctor on, never watched the old ones. Eccelston was really good, Smith is great and Tenant was amazing. There's been a few times when I've gotten kinda choked up, one of which was this season. It's an excellent show if you like sci-fi stuff.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

My buddy tells me Matt Smith is his favorite and really good, but I haven't seen Smith yet. All I know is that Eccelston really grabbed me from the start, but Tennant has blown me away every episode so far. He also has a better chemistry with Rose in my opinion so it makes for better conversation between them I think.

ThravRande
Burn It Down

Post by ThravRande »

Smith is amazing if he's your first. By the time you get caught up, you'll really love him. I didn't like him at first, because the way Tennant leaves is heartbreaking and Smith seemed like such a douche in the first episode, but he grows on you.

But, since you've seen Tennant first, I imagine he'll be your favorite. I strongly recommend the Doctor Who movie with the 8th doctor, before you get too into the series.
Myles Kennedy wrote:I think you're as sharp as.... whatever's sharp.

Heretic
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Heretic »

Huge fan, though I still need to watch the old Who. My favorite Doctor is Tennant of course, but Matt Smith has done an utterly fantastic job with the role and I'm looking forward to his portrayal in the new season-- in the Christmas special, he experienced a slight change, which felt really fresh, almost like a reboot of the show after having Amy and Rory for so long.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

it's an okay show. it's not very smart but entertaining if you're looking for something mindless. pond is the worst companion. show is better w/o her.

Heretic
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Heretic »

Bump for two reasons. Reason one:

My final project I came up with in Drawing I this semester was the task of drawing all eleven of the Doctors. It was an arduous task, and it left me with little free time, but the result was something I'm quite proud of. My father and I built a TARDIS-frame to frame the Doctors in, and it was a huge hit at college. Everyone loved the drawings, and the TARDIS just added to that.

Anyways, here's some photos. They're taken with my phone, so they're not the best quality, but they give you the general idea. I'll get detailed pictures of all the Doctors later on after the assignment is graded in whatnot.

I used prismacolor pencils for the drawings. They are a type of colored pencil that are specifically made for art, and they're very high quality. I tried to express the character of each Doctor through their expression and the colors used, and I feel like they're all quite unified. In any case, I thought you guys would appreciate this.

Reason two: the new season has currently been fantastic.

RavishingRik
On The Rail

Post by RavishingRik »

I was about to start a thread for Doctor Who (my favourite TV show) but thought I'd best do a search first and lo and behold, found this. So It's time to regenerate it and bring it back to life!

The Doctor
Banned

Post by The Doctor »

I guess you could say I'm a fan.

RavishingRik
On The Rail

Post by RavishingRik »

The Doctor wrote:I guess you could say I'm a fan.
A new account just to post on this thread? That's dedication. :bow

RavishingRik
On The Rail

Post by RavishingRik »

The Official Synopsis for the upcoming Special episode 'The Time of the Doctor'

"Orbiting a quiet backwater planet, the massed forces of the universe's deadliest species gather, drawn to a mysterious message that echoes out to the stars. And amongst them – the Doctor.

"Rescuing Clara from a family Christmas dinner, the Time Lord and his best friend must learn what this enigmatic signal means for his own fate and that of the universe."

RavishingRik
On The Rail

Post by RavishingRik »

Brilliant!!

[youtube]http://youtu.be/-2swVic8KxY[/youtube]

nickgordon
TABN.com Citizen

Post by nickgordon »

Thought id dig this thread up now that the new season premieres tonight. What are everyones thoughts on the new doctor before we get to see him in action?

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

I'm actually interested. I gave up on the show a while ago but some of his comments have made me intrigued again. I especially like that there won't be any romance between him and the companion. Sounds like he's going to be a little more otherwordly.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

RavishingRik
On The Rail

Post by RavishingRik »

I enjoyed it, I think it's a brave decision to make the Doctor not immediately likeable a la Colin Baker style. I just hope they are given the time to develop this Doctor properly.

The episode 'Deep Breath' did all it needed to start us on the 12th doctor's journey, and it was great the way Clara reacted to the regeneration, all too often companions accept the change as if nothing has happened. This was very well done and I loved the brief appearance of The 11th Doctor to help Clara through.

I loved the new title sequence, I think they are epic, the new theme arrangement is awful however and I hope they change it as soon as possible.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

They need to get rid of Moffat. Make the show a bit more logical and serious. Glad they are dropping that mary sue Calra though. New doctor has potential.

RavishingRik
On The Rail

Post by RavishingRik »

I'll be sad to see Clara leave, although, I can't say that I'm surprised, and yes Moffat needs to be replaced but he will at least do until the end of series 9