The Hobbit/LOTR

Talk about anything and everything here.
Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: That's also my best pickup line

Post by Andy92 »

gbruin wrote:Just go in with low expectations and you'll really enjoy it.
I was gonna respond to this saying, "this is me on every date." And then I read the subject title. You are my idol.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: The Hobbit/LOTR

Post by Timotheus »

SPOILERS

I just saw the movie. I did enjoy it, but that's it. Compared to LOTR it was a train wreck though. I thought the first half of the film was really good, but once the battle started things started to fall apart.

I agree with Andy that should've ended the second movie with Smaug being killed. They could've easily cut 20 minutes of useless cat-and-mouse chasing scenes in the mountain in the second movie for that. It blows my mind how much they ruined Smaug as an antagonist. He's built up to be this nigh unkillable, intelligent killing machine but he's outsmarted by primary school distraction tactics and can't kill a single dwarf. Then in the 3th movie he's literally killed in the first 10 minutes. As good as that scene was (I thought it was magnificent), it felt completely wrong.

Also, winning that battle was way too easy. Woo! A dozen (don't think Bombur fought along?) dwarfs just joined the battle! I completely agree with Fish Tacos about this. I know it was supposed to be really motivational because Thorin finally joined the fight, but c'mone..
And did this really powerful Gundabad army even join the battle? It felt like they were aaaaalmost there for like half of the battle and then they were killed by the eagles and Beorn, who got like 10 seconds of screen time.

And what was up with Legolas going on a search for Aragorn? Aragorn was still in Rivendell at this time. It was like: "yo, you remember that guy from those other movies we made? Here's a completely out-of-place reference to him!"
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

zazisaspaz
On The Rail

Post by zazisaspaz »

Fish Tacos wrote:SPOILERS

Just got back from the movie. My main "WTF this is dumb" moments in no particular order:
- We left the desolation of Smaug to the movie not entitled The Desolation of Smaug.
- Thorin's cousin like 100% CGI in all his shots. There may have been one shot when Thorin hugged him where you only see him from behind that might have been real.
His ride was awesome though
- That scene where Legolas is jumping on the rocks falling from the tower as each one fell was SO STUPID.
Yes, but he is Legolas and therefore can do anything. Just look at him. Rocking that haircut in itself is a miracle
- Oh yeah, if I turn this tower sideways, I get a bridge.
- Oh hey guys, a couple of Dwarves just joined the fight, let's stop losing the battle now.
Everyone performs better when the good looking kids roll into town. (Kili and Fili, not so much Bombur)
- Scene with the Wraiths was cool but I was having a difficult time processing what I was seeing
- Here son, let me build a giant makeshift bow using your face. No, I promise the drawstring won't decapitate you, stop whining and lean a little to the left.
Hahaha the whole time I was wondering if the fletching feather things were gonna whack him in the face
- Fuckin eagles droppin bears
There's no way that bear shoulda survived that fall...but nevertheless it was kinda cute
- Stupid CGI moose lifts 4 orcs in the air on its antlers so Thranduil can decapitate them all with one swing? Mkay
Don't make fun of the moose. I want to ride a reindeer/moose giant like that all around town and have it defend me. Literally so upset when it died. Fine, I get it the dwarf pig had to die, but not the moose!!!
- Giant white orc not only does not get dragged to the bottom of the river by his 100 lb steel arm, but also manages to jump up and through the ice out of the water in one smooth motion without so much as a boulder to push off of. You can't even do that at your public pool let alone though ice 5 inches thick.
- Every scene with Alfrid. He was the dumbest and most pointless character in the movie. Yeah, I get it, we're not supposed to like him, but even Wormtongue had a purpose ffs
Bard was way too nice and trusting with him. NOT REALISTIC AT ALL!
- Kili died, so called that lol, but wtf is up with Tauriel? She's like 600 years old and she's all what is love, baby don't hurt me no more.
Shoulda stuck with Legolas. Now he's gotta spend the rest of his life running around with a ging midget...he's clearly got a thing for redheads

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I was talking to one of my friends last night who saw the movie. We talked about some of the changes between the book and the movies, and he said, "people can talk bad about Peter Jackson all they want to, but he added Tauriel to this movie, and for that I salute him." :D

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Andy92 wrote:"people can talk bad about Peter Jackson all they want to, but he added Tauriel to this movie, and for that I salute him." :D
But he picked the ditsy chick from Lost to play her!
zazisaspaz wrote: - Stupid CGI moose lifts 4 orcs in the air on its antlers so Thranduil can decapitate them all with one swing? Mkay
Don't make fun of the moose. I want to ride a reindeer/moose giant like that all around town and have it defend me. Literally so upset when it died. Fine, I get it the dwarf pig had to die, but not the moose!!!
Most girls want ponies!

- Every scene with Alfrid. He was the dumbest and most pointless character in the movie. Yeah, I get it, we're not supposed to like him, but even Wormtongue had a purpose ffs
Bard was way too nice and trusting with him. NOT REALISTIC AT ALL!
Plus, I get that Alfrid didn't want to fight, but who in the hell of it gives away their sword during a battle? Your coin boobs ain't gonna stop no swords bruh

- Kili died, so called that lol, but wtf is up with Tauriel? She's like 600 years old and she's all what is love, baby don't hurt me no more.
Shoulda stuck with Legolas. Now he's gotta spend the rest of his life running around with a ging midget...he's clearly got a thing for redheads
It's a common misconception that redheads have no souls. In fact, they have one freckle for each soul they steal.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Fish Tacos wrote:
Andy92 wrote:"people can talk bad about Peter Jackson all they want to, but he added Tauriel to this movie, and for that I salute him." :D
But he picked the ditsy chick from Lost to play her!
I have no real complaints. ;)

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

If we had to go with Lost I would have preferred Michelle-Rodriguez-elf.

Mmm, she'd punish those orcs so good :humina

She'd have been a tougher sell as an elf but I could see it

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

And I'd be fine with that too. Lol

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I didn't really get the Tauriel hype as well. I loved the actress as Kate in Lost but I thought she looked to old to play an elf to eg. Cate Blanchett (Galadriel) who kinda has this ageless thing around her or Liv Tyler (Arwen) who was older than 2000 years in LOTR (Arwen, not Liv).

I also didn't think Tauriel's wig looked very natural.

If we're going with Lost actresses I'm going with Emilie de Ravin :D
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

I loved Tauriel. Mostly. And are you friggin' kiddin' me? Evangeline has a perfect Elf face. She wasn't there to look hot (like most female characters in movies these days), but because the movie without her (and Galadriel) would have been a giant sausage fest, and nobody likes to watch that :P Out of all the additions to the movie, she was the best one. And one of the rare right decisions, when I look back. I could have lived without the love story though, and like most things, I feel like her arc could have been better, but overall, I liked her.
Btw I couldn't see Rodriguez as an Elf. She just doesn't have the features.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

It's got nothing to do with her being hot or not, because Evangeline is absolutely adorable. I just think she didn't look realistic most of the time as Tauriel. Kinda like how Legolas looked like he ate something bad the day before and was holding back diarrhea 90% of the time.

And I liked her storyline. It's not like I don't like her because she wasn't in the book.

Going to see it again tonight :D
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

You're complaining about her not looking realistic in a movie that has A LOT more unrealistic-looking things to complain about :D
As for Orlando, I think he was younger than me when they started filming LOTR, and they tried to make him look as young. That wasn't gonna fly.
It's a shame, because he's so much hotter now that he's older :D

I think I'm gonna go have a LOTR marathon, now that my holidays have finally begun :3

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Not really complaining, just replying to Andy's comment. It's just that everybody seems to be raving about her, while I think they managed made a really attractive woman look kinda 'ehh?'.

But yea.. How silly did Dain look?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Timotheus wrote:Not really complaining, just replying to Andy's comment. It's just that everybody seems to be raving about her, while I think they managed made a really attractive woman look kinda 'ehh?'.

But yea.. How silly did Dain look?
Funny thing for me it's the opposite; Tauriel is much more attractive than Evangeline Lily. But Dain looked Bad-ass.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Funny thing for me it's the opposite; Tauriel is much more attractive than Evangeline Lily.
Agreed.
It's the red hair.
It makes everyone look so much better :P

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Well, if you're into obvious wigs, I guess it's kinda hot :D
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

The length really was too much. I can't imagine how heavy that thing was to wear.
But she made me want to both grow my hair long(er) and dye it :D

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

I'm just gonna leave this awesome she-elf in here. She can be part of my fellowship anyday :D

zazisaspaz
On The Rail

Post by zazisaspaz »

Nah, she can stick to fast and furious. She'd be too random an elf. But enjoy her picture
Lotha wrote: I think I'm gonna go have a LOTR marathon, now that my holidays have finally begun :3
This is what I've been doing haha luckily Cam got me the trilogy for Christmas :D

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

saw the new hobbit last night with my buddy tj before he ships back to his base in Cali.

very bored throughout the first hour of the movie, the last hour and a half really picked up the movie for me.
Thanks Andy!