The Hobbit/LOTR

Talk about anything and everything here.
Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: The Hobbit/LOTR

Post by Andy92 »

Jerk. :lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Really, that wasn't nice :lol
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Oh, does he really die? Whoops!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I was gonna vote for you as newcomer of the year, but now I'm gonna crap all over any chance you have at an award. :lol

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: AB tours, Hobbit premieres. Europe hates us

Post by gbruin »

The two pages too late spoiler alert disclaimer goes here.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Greg 4 nicest member.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Kili for deadest dwarf >.>

Seriously, does he really die?

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

:lol

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: Or maybe he doesn't die at all? :shifty

Post by Timotheus »

If I hadn't read the book I would be so pissed now :D
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

vChris
White Knuckled

Post by vChris »

Oh my, that sound as if you have been really disappointed Lotha... sorry to hear that.
It didn't feel to me as if they had upped the comic relief scenes in the movie compared to the first two movies. It might have been because I have already spent 5 hours in the cinema at that point in time, but it didn't bother me at all. I knew what to expect from the other two parts.
Lotha wrote:they still managed to not show some very important scenes for the sake of the comic relief character's screen time, or invented characters' screen time, or for over the top or simply stupid battle scenes. :bored
I agree. I like battle scenes, so that's not my problem :P
But I expected problems with the characters that weren't originally supposed to be there. It is always easier to introduce a character than to weave the character in the existing story line later on.
Interstellar is a great example for that in my book.

By the way. My guess regarding the lack of writers skill you complained about: they all work for TV now and produce awesome TV series instead of hollywood movies :rolleyes
I think to LOTR times that development hasn't started yet.
Lotha wrote:If you haven't read the book, you'll be wondering what happened with the surviving characters later, what happened with the gold, etc. because only Bilbo's ending was shown.
(and much more interesting than the question of the gold - how many people will get the 5 army part of the movie title?)
This is something that I think of very often when I read a book and then watch the movie. Somehow, most people can live with it so again, it didn't really surprise me :D

I have never been able to compare the books LOTR and Hobbit in my mindset, and I never compared the movies. And I try as good as I can to NOT compare the movies to the books. It worked really well for me - even if there are some obvious problems with it, I enjoyed the last movie. It has been pretty much what I expected it to be :)
gbruin wrote: Maybe Peter Jackson will take on The Simarillion next.
not gonna happen anytime soon. PJ has said in interviews that he would like to (at least to give it some thought) but Warner Bros. has only rights to LOTR and the Hobbit and thats the problem....

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

They could make at least a dozen movies from all the information you get in The Silmarillion. I always thought the downfall of Númenor would make a great movie. It would be really cool to see Sauron in his early form, when he was just a servant of Morgoth.

'Children of Húrin', 'Beren and Luthien' and Fingolfin's fight with Morgoth and everything around it would all be great too.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Timotheus wrote:They could make at least a dozen movies from all the information you get in The Silmarillion. I always thought the downfall of Númenor would make a great movie. It would be really cool to see Sauron in his early form, when he was just a servant of Morgoth.
Shadow of Mordor uses some of this plot in its story. I'm liking the game a lot because they pulled some info from The Silmarillion when writing the story.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

My guess regarding the lack of writers skill you complained about: they all work for TV now and produce awesome TV series instead of hollywood movies :rolleyes
Yeah, that makes sense.
If Silmarillion happens, I hope it's going to be a TV show, not a movie.
Same way I hope for the Wheel of Time to be made one day.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

If they did the entire Silmarillion as a TV show it would have to be some kind of documentary.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

I watched the movie last night. And I don't mean to be a downer or overly critical, but if I'm being honest, I didn't like it. In fact, I almost hated it. Half of it is one incredibly long battle scene, there's very little story, a scene showing Thorin's change of heart is remarkably stupid, Gandalf plays almost no role in this one at all, the forced romance between Kili and Tauriel is completely pointless, Smaug is killed way too quickly (barely 10 minutes in), and I didn't like how the White Orc was built up to be the main antagonist again. Visually it's nice to look at, and a fight scene between Thorin and the White Orc on a frozen waterfall is particularly cool, but overall the film is pretty dreadful.

Not the worst movie of the year by any means, but certainly the most disappointing, especially after the fun second movie. Blech. Turning this into three movies rather than the originally planned two was a bad idea. :S

Also, not a fan of HFR.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

I guess I'm glad I (accidentally) read some of the bad reviews here, because I ended up really liking the movie tonight, with the one dismissal of the laws of physics aside. However, I agree with pretty much all of what ALTERSTEVE wrote above, especially his last line about how this should have been two movies instead of three, and with what Lotha wrote in her previous posts.

If you are expecting or hoping for purity, you will deb disappointed (and I would have preferred that, but got the idea it wasn't going that way). As far as telling a story, or even THE actual story, the movie doesn't offer much. But if you are willing to just sit back and watch the characters slug it out for a couple hours, then it's pretty entertaining.

It was somewhat bittersweet watching the closing credits and thinking back to the first time I saw The Fellowship of the Ring in the theater all those years ago now. That movie was simply magic. None of the rest of the series ever matched that first one, and I doubt anything ever could. But this movie, even though it was almost the opposite of Fellowship in terms of character development and story telling, was still the end of the franchise, and I was sad to see it end.

vChris
White Knuckled

Post by vChris »

gbruin wrote:It was somewhat bittersweet watching the closing credits and thinking back to the first time I saw The Fellowship of the Ring in the theater all those years ago now.
The last scenes, where young Bilbo is standing all alone in his empty looking home is what got me emotional. That one was really well done in my eyes, very symbolic :)

Lotha
Colloquial

you know what i'm trying to say

Post by Lotha »

I'm sad it wasn't the right kind of sad for me. I wasn't sad it's over, I was sad I wasn't sad it's over.
(wat? no more wine for me, ok)

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: you know what i'm trying to say

Post by gbruin »

Lotha wrote:I'm sad it wasn't the right kind of sad for me. I wasn't sad it's over, I was sad I wasn't sad it's over.
(wat? no more wine for me, ok)
Well now I'm the right kind of sad that you're the wrong kind of sad. I think.