Video Game Bonanza!

Talk about anything and everything here.
Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: Video Game Bonanza!

Post by Ubik »

I've never played a Zelda game, feel like I've missed out.
For all of the hope that it brings...

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Misery loves company?

Post by zazthespaz »

Ubik wrote:I've never played a Zelda game, feel like I've missed out.
I haven't either, but your sig ties in perfectly with the post :lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Ocarina of Time was the benchmark all other games were measured against in the late 90s imo. Ever since that game, Zelda has always been good, but it wasn't the benchmark any longer as everyone became interested in Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Elder Scrolls, etc. (I could go on with examples but you get the idea.)

Breath of the Wild puts Zelda back in that benchmark area of the gaming industry. It has the massive size of games like Skyrim and The Witcher, but it has the artistic nature that Nintendo games are known for. The scenery in this game is absolutely stunning.

Now, if you pick up Breath of the Wild as your first Zelda game, you're gonna miss out on the nostalgia factor I feel in playing this game, but I still think you'd be highly impressed with it.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

tzAB
Brand New Start

Post by tzAB »

I'm kind of hating myself now. I've been a huge Zelda fan (first one played was A Link to the Past as a kid) and had a Switch on preorder, but I cancelled since I built this massive gaming PC to tackle my Steam backlog. I haven't played Skyward Sword or Wind Waker though so I might pick up a cheap original Wii and play those to tide me over!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: sig in action again here

Post by Ubik »

Andy92 wrote:Ocarina of Time was the benchmark all other games were measured against in the late 90s imo. Ever since that game, Zelda has always been good, but it wasn't the benchmark any longer as everyone became interested in Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Elder Scrolls, etc. (I could go on with examples but you get the idea.)

Breath of the Wild puts Zelda back in that benchmark area of the gaming industry. It has the massive size of games like Skyrim and The Witcher, but it has the artistic nature that Nintendo games are known for. The scenery in this game is absolutely stunning.

Now, if you pick up Breath of the Wild as your first Zelda game, you're gonna miss out on the nostalgia factor I feel in playing this game, but I still think you'd be highly impressed with it.
It does look really pretty and the gameplay looks really fun, just wish they'd put it out on other consoles :lol I've also missed out on all the Mario delirium since I moved on from my SNES.

Meanwhile, Horizon Zero Dawn also looks great but after my No Man's Sky pre-order debacle, I'm refusing to get newly released games even when they're actually good.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

One of my students has been talking about Horizon Zero Dawn all morning...I can't really comment on it since I don't own a PS4 lol.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Or maybe I should work on getting a girlfriend...

Post by zazthespaz »

Andy92 wrote:One of my students has been talking about Horizon Zero Dawn all morning...I can't really comment on it since I don't own a PS4 lol.
I've thought about getting a PS4 to play that and Uncharted 4. Trying to find a way to win one so I don't have to pay for it :lol

Although I read to check Craigslist or eBay around the time report cards come out to get good deals so I might do that :lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

zazthespaz wrote:Although I read to check Craigslist or eBay around the time report cards come out to get good deals so I might do that :lol
If you're gonna get one, this would be the best way. :lol

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

I have Horizon but haven't played it yet because I've been glued to Zelda. I have installed in ready to play in case Zelda frustrates me to the point of needing to give it a break. This month is ugly for my wallet and my free time with Mass Effect coming out in a couple weeks.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Anyone know if Nintendo intend to emulate old-gen games on the Switch? I'd probably buy that.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I haven't heard if they're gonna continue the classic game store or not like the Wii and Wii U had, but I'd imagine they will. They didn't have any classic games on launch, but it's something I'm keeping my eyes out for.

PRS10Top
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PRS10Top »

but they released the NES classic to compete so who knows.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

The Classic did have a fixed number of games though...and you can't find them either lol.

Micky
On The Rail

Re: Or maybe I should work on getting a girlfriend...

Post by Micky »

zazthespaz wrote:
Andy92 wrote:One of my students has been talking about Horizon Zero Dawn all morning...I can't really comment on it since I don't own a PS4 lol.
I've thought about getting a PS4 to play that and Uncharted 4. Trying to find a way to win one so I don't have to pay for it :lol

Although I read to check Craigslist or eBay around the time report cards come out to get good deals so I might do that :lol
Zazzypants when I move in June, if I don't bring my PS4 with me, you can have mine :cheers
Thanks Andy!

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Gotta work for it!

Post by zazthespaz »

Micky wrote:
zazthespaz wrote:

Zazzypants when I move in June, if I don't bring my PS4 with me, you can have mine :cheers
Hahaha, no no no, I can't do that. I might break into your house and steal it, but I can't accept a gift like that!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Well, new Mass Effect looks like a disappointment :(

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Ubik wrote:Well, new Mass Effect looks like a disappointment :(
What's the deal with that one? I saw people making fun of botched character animations, but are there more problems than that?

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Andy92 wrote:
Ubik wrote:Well, new Mass Effect looks like a disappointment :(
What's the deal with that one? I saw people making fun of botched character animations, but are there more problems than that?
Just watch some reviews on youtube...

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Andy92 wrote:What's the deal with that one? I saw people making fun of botched character animations, but are there more problems than that?
Meh story, really poor writing (both dialogue and plot), dull teammates, loads of fetching quests. Fighting gameplay is supposed to be quite fun and the worlds well realised but a Mass Effect game without character and story for me is quite a pointless exercise. They aren't going to be Dostoevsky but they should immerse you in the gameworld and make you care. I'll probably end up getting it when it's on sale as there's apparently a few flashes of the old series every now and then, but massively disappointing at any rate.

Although I moan, I'm still yet to get Witcher 3 so it's not like I'm without stuff to play if I really want to :lol Had been holding out for Andromeda though.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

New Dark Souls 3 DLC is...well let's just say I've died a good bit.

I've also been putting a fair amount of time into Ghost Recon: Wildlands recently. It's a pretty well done game, although I've ran across a handful of glitches in it (but they're usually comical to watch so they don't bother me too much). It's not what I really expected out of a Ghost Recon game since it feels a bit more like GTA than traditional Ghost Recon, but I think it's well done overall.