Video Game Bonanza!

Talk about anything and everything here.
nagpo
On The Rail

Re: Video Game Bonanza!

Post by nagpo »

I'm still playing breath of the wild. Such a huge game. Gotta beat it soon bcause it's eating away at my life.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Same for me with Zelda. I've finished all of the main quests except for beating Ganon. Now I'm in this phase where I'm unsure how many hours I want to spend exploring the world and completing side quests before tackling the end of the game. I don't want to end the game early, but I know what you mean about the time it takes up.

Also, the new Dark Souls III DLC is destroying me. Freakin' Darkeater Midir...I will kill that dragon one of these days.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

I've been playing The Witcher 3 for a few months at this point. Usually a few hours every couple of days. Checked my save file and I'm up to 80 hours which is probably closer to 85 if you count the times I reloaded a save due to dying or redid a quest if I didn't like the outcome. I have to say, I have some pretty mixed feelings about it.

Pros:
- Beautiful world where each location, even the tiny towns are uniquely crafted.
- Looks amazing on high graphics, including the character models
- Basically, rated R
- Decisions have interesting ramifications that aren't immediately apparent or necessarily predictable. Sometimes very brief side characters like a bartender that saw you kill some guys in a bar fight will reappear 20 hours later in a different city to tell everyone you're a murderer even though it was the other folks that started the fight.
- In-game card collection game Gwent. I really hated this game at the start because I had a crappy deck and I felt more of it was based on that than anything. I actually still feel that your deck is more important than your strategy as I won a match last night where I made 2 terrible decisions but still wound up winning anyway, but it's a lot more fun than I originally gave it credit for once you start collecting a few better cards.
- Pretty big zoned open world

Cons:
- Loot system blows. MOST of the gear you find and spend so much time fighting and exploring for sucks. It is usually significantly worse than what you're currently wearing/using and seemingly only serves as a revenue stream for you to sell so you have gold for repairing the stuff you wear for 8 levels at a time. Once in a blue moon you'll find something better and it's usually a stand out moment because of how rare it is.
- Combat is pretty repetitive, and most fights aren't really threatening unless you pick an enemy that's a significantly higher level than you who can oneshot you through your shield.
- Some quests are very fetchy in nature and can add fill just to make them seem longer. Nobody is capable of doing anything themselves and things inevitably wind up devolving into "check these 3 locations" or "get so and so these 4 things in different locations". Meaningful side quests are a difficult feat for a game to pull off without making the tasks seem like chores but this kinda stuff just makes it seem like a better polished version of Assassin's Creed.

Anywho, put a lot of hours into this so I figured I'd share my thoughts.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Andy92 wrote:
Ubik wrote:Well, new Mass Effect looks like a disappointment :(
What's the deal with that one? I saw people making fun of botched character animations, but are there more problems than that?
Turns out Bioware didn't make it per se but sluffed it off on a very minor dev who might not even have had a full title under their belt before, can't remember if that last part is accurate or not, so it was pretty buggy and had a lot of low effort animations and dialogue in it. Seems that they figured people would buy it now matter what due to the success of the previous series and they were right. Meanwhile they kept their devs working on whatever other project they have coming up.

tzAB
Brand New Start

Post by tzAB »

I just finished Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin. It wasn't too bad only had some parts that had me pulling my hair out, but so far I prefer the first. I'm waiting on the third to go on sale before I purchase it and besides I can only take so much frustrations so I wouldn't want to play 2 and 3 back to back. :fingerwag

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

I really liked Halo1,Halo3, and FF7 back in the day. Makes me glad to see that they are remastering FF7.

I still remember when I saw the driving part of the last level of Halo 1 (back in high school). At the time it was just so epic.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Yesterday was the 12th year anniversary of Leeroy Jenkins. Man...

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Is anyone else following E3 2017 yet?

I AM SO FUCKING HYPED FOR THIS GAME!

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

So is it open world? Looks like Farcry meets Metro now. Could be interesting, I just hope it has enough of the previous Metro vibes that made it unique. I really liked the fear of being on the surface in the old titles.

I really like the new Assassin's Creed setting. I feel like it's the first one I've been excited for in a long line of them.

Also, SW Battlefront II looks pretty secksy.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I dont think I've seen it confirmed one way or the other if its open world. Honestly wouldnt make a difference to me. It still pretty much looks like old Metro in every other way so far, too.

Assassins Creed I'm not sure if I'll get this one or not because I've played most of the other titles already and it's kinda getting stale finally :lol

Star Wars Battlefront 2 I might get if its anything like Battlefront 2 from the OG Xbox :lol I hate how its the same names as the old battlefront games because I get confused. This should be Battlefront 4 or 5 already :lol

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

@ Assassin's Creed, I hear ya. They are one of the most repetitive titles I've seen, I doubt this one will be much different once the novelty of the bow mechanic wears off but I'm a sucker for desert adventures.

I just saw the preview for Anthem, have you seen that one yet? It looks pretty interesting how you can free fly and swim in those suits and the world looks gorgeous. The way the loot screen popped up after an ambush made me think it might be a grinding game and would get repetitive after a while. Definitely intrigued but cautious.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Waiting for more info on The Fractured But Whole, and also for the multiplayer to COD WWII, both should be awesome!

I'm a simple gamer...

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Fish Tacos wrote:@ Assassin's Creed, I hear ya. They are one of the most repetitive titles I've seen, I doubt this one will be much different once the novelty of the bow mechanic wears off but I'm a sucker for desert adventures.

I just saw the preview for Anthem, have you seen that one yet? It looks pretty interesting how you can free fly and swim in those suits and the world looks gorgeous. The way the loot screen popped up after an ambush made me think it might be a grinding game and would get repetitive after a while. Definitely intrigued but cautious.
Yeah I saw Anthem. It just seems like a Mass Effect, Halo, Titanfall hybrid :lol Not really interested in that one :lol

*still buys it anyways*

I'm definitely getting ME: Shadow of War later this year, too.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Soooo Bethesda plans to keep milking FO4 via VR and Skyrim while simultaneously introducing paid mods. Swing and a miss!

Skull & Bones lookes 90% the same as the Assassin's Creed pirate mechanics. I'm guessing it's ok because it's still Ubisoft but like...apart from getting multiplayer out of it and adding wind, what's different? Don't think it will sell too well.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Nintendo just showed up and took all my money.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

I absolutely loved the original Prey so I'm trying the new one. It's not a sequel by any means which is a little disappointing because I wanted to know what happened with that story but this one is pretty cool in its own right. It's more in line with a survival horror game than a straight up FPS but it's pretty cool the way they designed it. Some parts are linear to let you unlock portions of a human vessel orbiting space and as you progress, you can unlock airlocks and travel between them outside the station in a spacesuit. Kind of a unique idea at least in my experience. It's not really open world per se but it opens the whole facility up to you in a similar way and unlike typical open world games, every room on the ship has a purpose so it's more fun to explore. Worth a look if you want something new and sort of unique with high production value.

If you choose you can also get some pretty nifty powers like transforming into coffee cups! It's so hilarious to hop through little spaces and hide from powerful enemies as small objects.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

South Park: The Fractured, But Whole.

Such a great game! Not at all recommended for people who do not follow South Park as they will not get the references, but damn it is fun.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: until I hit myself in the face.

Post by zazthespaz »

Fish Tacos wrote:
I hope that's one of the hard levels. It's one thing to hit the right color, it's another to get the direction right and read what's next. I'm intrigued by it just for a development of hand-eye coordination.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I've been playing some indie games on the Switch lately. Finished Blossom Tales yesterday and I've started playing Celeste this evening. Some of these small development studios have been putting out some good quality stuff over the past few years.

Tried getting into Fortnite lately too. It's pretty fun but I still kinda suck at it lol.