Video Game Bonanza!

Talk about anything and everything here.
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: Video Game Bonanza!

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Anyone buy COD Cold War? I bought it yesterday and have encountered the same problems a lot of people have (not being able to even go online and play the modes online because of connection errors with their servers) And Im on my 2nd time redownloading the entire 80GB game on my console to see if that will make a difference. If it doesnt, IDK if I should just refund it or wait for a patch that fixes it and makes it playable. Its so frustrating how in 2020 we still have these problems with games at launch or just in general. My friend in Estonia can play the game no problem and Im stuck with the bullshit server problems :/

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Anyone played Subnautica? Free on PS Store at the moment. Survival game where you crash land on an ocean planet and have to craft your way out, whilst avoiding massive sea monsters. Recommended! Some annoying bugs but can't complain for free.
For all of the hope that it brings...

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Passenger 00-FU

Post by zazthespaz »

Ubik wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:47 pm Anyone played Subnautica? Free on PS Store at the moment. Survival game where you crash land on an ocean planet and have to craft your way out, whilst avoiding massive sea monsters. Recommended! Some annoying bugs but can't complain for free.
I played it and loved it. Landscape is a little buggy, you can sometimes get through holes in the ground, but I thought it had a great story line and crafting was unique and fun. One of my coolest moments in gaming history was building the cyclops. Felt like I had to put work into crafting it, but seeing it be built and just how big it was stuck out to me as being impressive. I've played up through most of the sequel too (it's unfinished right now). Not as fun in my opinion, some of the novelty wore off and the story isn't as great (too much drama and too many characters you hear voice logs from but never interact with) but still worth a playthrough if you enjoy the first one.

Neebs Gaming did a series of a playthrough of the game a few years ago which has been one of their greatest hits. They played the voice of the main character as he was calling back to HQ to get rescued and trying to get around their corporate bullshit. Really quite funny if you're in the mood for it, but there are obviously spoilers for the game.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: Passenger 00-FU

Post by Ubik »

zazthespaz wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:37 pm I played it and loved it. Landscape is a little buggy, you can sometimes get through holes in the ground, but I thought it had a great story line and crafting was unique and fun. One of my coolest moments in gaming history was building the cyclops. Felt like I had to put work into crafting it, but seeing it be built and just how big it was stuck out to me as being impressive. I've played up through most of the sequel too (it's unfinished right now). Not as fun in my opinion, some of the novelty wore off and the story isn't as great (too much drama and too many characters you hear voice logs from but never interact with) but still worth a playthrough if you enjoy the first one.

Neebs Gaming did a series of a playthrough of the game a few years ago which has been one of their greatest hits. They played the voice of the main character as he was calling back to HQ to get rescued and trying to get around their corporate bullshit. Really quite funny if you're in the mood for it, but there are obviously spoilers for the game.
Oh god yeah, when I was about to build it I was like "so I guess that this'll be about twice as big as my Seamoth? Cool!" then realising that no, holy shit it's an actual, full-on submarine. That was slightly tempered when I docked my Seamoth to it ("awesome!") went off on my first journey ("three speeds?!") and then the Seamoth decided to explode inside it :lol Apparently a known bug, so after that it was for Prawn use only. I was pretty careless with the 'moths though, first one got destroyed by a Reaper (heard it, sped away, then turned around to see if I'd lost it...nnnnope.) Second one I left stupidly close to a Jellyshroom when I was looking for stuff in the cave (on its first journey out).

But yeah, outside of the bugs/crashes, loved it. Story was nicely written with humour where it needed to be, and genuinely tense (understatement) when you go deeper. First sighting of a Ghost was... damn. I think the loneliness of it worked well as well, and where some games would have you build bigger and bigger weapons to let you kill the big bads, this one's like nope, no weapons for you! Gives me Portal feels (which is about as high a recommendation as I can give.)

That sounds fun, will give it a watch! Yeah I saw there was a second, will probably wait till it's discounted after release but will give it a go eventually. Have you played Outer Wilds?

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Nor any of the other 100+ untouched games in my catalog...

Post by zazthespaz »

Ubik wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:52 pm But yeah, outside of the bugs/crashes, loved it. Story was nicely written with humour where it needed to be, and genuinely tense (understatement) when you go deeper. First sighting of a Ghost was... damn. I think the loneliness of it worked well as well, and where some games would have you build bigger and bigger weapons to let you kill the big bads, this one's like nope, no weapons for you! Gives me Portal feels (which is about as high a recommendation as I can give.)

That sounds fun, will give it a watch! Yeah I saw there was a second, will probably wait till it's discounted after release but will give it a go eventually. Have you played Outer Wilds?
I don't think I ever considered the loneliness aspect or no weapons to upgrade aspects of the game. (I was aware of how helpful a gun might be) I guess that really was a key factor they did well with.

Haven't played Outer Wilds but that same channel I posted a video from did a small playthrough of it and it seemed pretty cool. I've heard a bunch of good things about it - have you played it? I thought about buying it last year but don't think I'd have the time for it now.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: Nor any of the other 100+ untouched games in my catalog...

Post by Ubik »

zazthespaz wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:17 pm I don't think I ever considered the loneliness aspect or no weapons to upgrade aspects of the game. (I was aware of how helpful a gun might be) I guess that really was a key factor they did well with.

Haven't played Outer Wilds but that same channel I posted a video from did a small playthrough of it and it seemed pretty cool. I've heard a bunch of good things about it - have you played it? I thought about buying it last year but don't think I'd have the time for it now.
Yeah, it's another great mix of story and exploration gameplay, but more puzzle/mystery than craft/survival. Might turn up in another of the PS at Home deals for free, if so I recommend.

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

Ubik wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:47 pm Anyone played Subnautica? Free on PS Store at the moment. Survival game where you crash land on an ocean planet and have to craft your way out, whilst avoiding massive sea monsters. Recommended! Some annoying bugs but can't complain for free.
I paid money for this a couple years ago when it was still early access and still couldn't complain. There was (and probably is) just no other game like it. It starts off slow but it's nice to just wander around and enjoy the ocean. Then you start to get into more and more trouble with resource management while at the same time finding and building cool stuff to help deal with the problems. If there's any problem with the game, it gets a little long and meandering by the very end, but even so it's well worth it for the unique experience.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Finally got around to God of War. Queen of the Valkyries is an absolute twat.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I've always been an Xbox guy since I grew up with OG Xbox and Halo back when I was in like 4th grade and lately my online friends have kept pressuring me to get a PS4. They all own one and I'm not a console elitist by any means, I see the positive in both consoles and the exclusive games they have the rights to. I've always wanted to play the Uncharted, Last of Us, Resistance, and God of War series and the like on PS but could never justify to myself the spending of $400 for another console and having 2 seperate ones to play one when I've always just had one console growing up because you can only play one console at a time...My birthday is coming up in 2 weeks and I dont know if I want to spoil myself and just take the plunge on a PS4 or continue to save my money for the time being :/

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:28 pm I've always been an Xbox guy since I grew up with OG Xbox and Halo back when I was in like 4th grade and lately my online friends have kept pressuring me to get a PS4. They all own one and I'm not a console elitist by any means, I see the positive in both consoles and the exclusive games they have the rights to. I've always wanted to play the Uncharted, Last of Us, Resistance, and God of War series and the like on PS but could never justify to myself the spending of $400 for another console and having 2 seperate ones to play one when I've always just had one console growing up because you can only play one console at a time...My birthday is coming up in 2 weeks and I dont know if I want to spoil myself and just take the plunge on a PS4 or continue to save my money for the time being :/
I was in a similar position. I had both the PS1 and PS2 years back. My grandpa got my brother and me the original Xbox as a gift one year. Once we played Halo I stuck with the 360 and One for years after that.

I don’t play as much multiplayer as I used to though. I play a lot more single player games / RPGs and don’t really bother with stuff like Call of Duty anymore. They have a lot more single player games that I’m interested in on PlayStation now so I ended up switching this generation.

The PS4 is about at the end of its life cycle though with the PS5 being out. You could always wait another year and try to get the PS5 when they’re easier to find. It doesn’t make much sense to own both an Xbox and a PlayStation, but I’d probably hold out for the PS5 and retire your Xbox after some time passes. Otherwise you’ll have an Xbox One plus a PS4, and you’ll be wanting either the Series X or PS5 before too much longer anyways.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

If nothing else I would pick up a PS4 used... then play some of those games you mentioned and sell it on eBay. If you buy it used and sell it used, you won't take that much of a hit especially if you have a lot of time and can play through the games you want quickly.

I'd start with The Last of Us (remastered). That game is truly special. I still have to play Last of Us 2 myself... just haven't had the time lately.

Uncharted is fun (you can get the remastered trilogy) and the story production is especially excellent, like a summer blockbuster movie. The first game is a little more rough around the edges than the later games, but from 2 onward they're top notch. Obviously the 4th, being a native PS4 game is leagues ahead of the others graphically. I'd say the story production takes a step up too.

If you never had a PS3, then maybe try "Shadow of the Colossus" which remaster runs on the PS4 I think. It's a PS2 game, but was truly a legendary game in its day.

Resistance... the originals are PS3 games right? I stopped following that series. Not even sure if there was a PS4 rerelease or sequels. Same thing with Killzone, but if you like shooters they're probably worth a look too.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Well I bought a PS4 today so we'll so how this goes I guess :lol Gotta wait for it to be delivered to my house though.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

One of us, one of us! There's a store sale on at the moment as well Shea so plenty of stuff to get! Horizon Zero Dawn is also free which is very much recommended if you like story action RPGs (and robot dinosaurs, ROBOT DINOSAURS).

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Ubik wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:45 pm One of us, one of us! There's a store sale on at the moment as well Shea so plenty of stuff to get! Horizon Zero Dawn is also free which is very much recommended if you like story action RPGs (and robot dinosaurs, ROBOT DINOSAURS).
Yeah he definitely needs to grab that while it’s free. I got it for $10 on a winter sale and got the platinum trophy over break. It’s a really good game.

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

I was always a huge gamer... less so now at the ripe old age of 40. I had all the Nintendo stuff as a youth, and as a teen I started buying up other consoles and even got a used Sega Genesis later on. I wrote for a Nintendo website around the time the GameCube was released, but still got an Xbox and Playstation 2. The Wii soured my opinion of Nintendo for a while, and the only Nintendo system (of significance) I've never owned is the Wii U. The last big stretch of gaming I did was when the Xbox One and PS4 were released. I got both, purely because I knew there would be at least a few exclusives I'd want to play on each. With young kids, I've sold those two in favor of a Switch which has been a life saver. I can play it in the evening after dinner while keeping an eye on the kids. No time for anything else... but one of these days I'll get a PS5 and probably an X1X or whatever they're calling it and catch up on the best games at least.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

My current PS4 Library of games to play for the first time is as follows;

The Last of Us Remastered (currently playing)
Spider-Man (2018)
Bloodborne
God of War (2018)
Uncharted 4
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Uncharted 1, 2, 3 (The Nathan Drake Collection)

They were all on sale so I scored 9 games for the measly price of $128 CAD

Ghosts of Tsushima and Sekiro are on my list as well but they were full priced still so Im waiting to see if I can catch a sale/deal for them.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: And then let me borrow your PS4 so I can play Uncharted 4.

Post by zazthespaz »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:51 pm My current PS4 Library of games to play for the first time is as follows;

The Last of Us Remastered (currently playing)
Spider-Man (2018)
Bloodborne
God of War (2018)
Uncharted 4
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Uncharted 1, 2, 3 (The Nathan Drake Collection)

They were all on sale so I scored 9 games for the measly price of $128 CAD

Ghosts of Tsushima and Sekiro are on my list as well but they were full priced still so Im waiting to see if I can catch a sale/deal for them.
Do the Uncharted series in order if you can. There are storylines to the characters that will be more rewarding to see play out as intended. Plus, it's frustrating as hell playing #1 after they figured out the mechanics of the game in #2. :lol #2 is one of my favorite games of all time though, let me know what you think of it!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Andy92 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:16 pm
Ubik wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:45 pm One of us, one of us! There's a store sale on at the moment as well Shea so plenty of stuff to get! Horizon Zero Dawn is also free which is very much recommended if you like story action RPGs (and robot dinosaurs, ROBOT DINOSAURS).
Yeah he definitely needs to grab that while it’s free. I got it for $10 on a winter sale and got the platinum trophy over break. It’s a really good game.
Keep meaning to go back and collect the last of the data things, but I'm worried I'll have forgotten all the combat and run into a Thunderjaw. Currently got like two things left on Death Stranding that involve getting a certain rank on a number of deliveries and I can now fully empathise with Amazon drivers.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: Buy your own PS4 so u can play Uncharted 4 too.

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

zazthespaz wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:15 pmDo the Uncharted series in order if you can. There are storylines to the characters that will be more rewarding to see play out as intended. Plus, it's frustrating as hell playing #1 after they figured out the mechanics of the game in #2. :lol #2 is one of my favorite games of all time though, let me know what you think of it!
I dont know if I can play them in order, Cam. That is too logical for me to comprehend! :eek ...I might end up starting with 4 and then Lost Legacy and then 2, 1, 3 :lol :lol :lol :P :D ;)

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Ubik wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:39 pm Keep meaning to go back and collect the last of the data things, but I'm worried I'll have forgotten all the combat and run into a Thunderjaw.
That just builds character.