What are you listening to right now?

Talk about anything and everything here.
AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Lost In Paradise is brilliant, I will give you that. Same with The Change, My Heart Is Broken, and Oceans.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Matthew Thiessen & The Earthquakes's Wind Up Bird album. The 21st album released in 2018 that I have listened to.

So Matt Thiessen is this musician that is in the band Relient K that seems to always tour with Switchfoot. He, and his wife Emily Wright, is also a regular collaborator for Owl City. Anyway, Matthew Thiessen & The Earthquakes is going to be opening for the Owl City concert I'm going to in October so I might as well check out this new album.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

The Pineapple Thief- Dissolution

Great album once again.
Last edited by Mr. Slash on Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Mr. Slash wrote:The Pineapple Thief- Disssolution

Great album once again.
Thanks for the heads-up! Gonna listen to it as soon as possible!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Steve Perry - No More Cryin'

We're definitely getting the more "adult contemporary" side of things with the new singles, and maybe that's expected given age and his time away from the biz.
But I don't care. Thank god Steve Perry is making new music.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Trivium - The Wretchedness Inside

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

All right, now that I'm finished watching the Royal Albert Hall DVD, it's time for me to start the Owl City/Adam Young binge listening. Let's start with this one where it all begin.

Owl City's Of June EP. This was made in 2007 and was self-released by Adam Young onto MySpace of all things. How you can go from that to releasing a great album in Ocean Eyes that includes the 250+ million views on Youtube single, Fireflies, in two years? Pretty impressive.

Edit: Let's keep it going. Owl City's Maybe I'm Dreaming album. The official first album of Owl City.

Edit x 2: Hours later, The Greatest Showman - The Other Side. Apparently The Greatest Showman is a musical regarding a circus. The Other Side is sung by Hugh Jackman and Zac Efron. Honestly, this does not suck at all. The song is mainly about an entrepreneur convincing a playwright to join the entrepreneur's endeavor regarding the circus and taking a big risk as a result.

Edit x 3: Even several hours later, going to listen to this album. This is the album that established Owl City as a known name in the music world, even if only for that one big song, but it's still a really good album.

Owl City's Ocean Eyes album. I'm going to listen to the deluxe edition as well which includes If My Heart Was a House (very touching song).

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

The Greatest Showman - From Now On

Man, what an inspiring song.

Edit: Lots of hours later. Time to continue with the Owl City marathon. Owl City's All Things Bright and Beautiful album. Has a song that has one of my favorite lyrics as of late. The Real World had this lyric, "Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't wanna live there."

Edit x2: Ehhh, I got some time. Let's go one more album. Owl City's The Midsummer Station album. Now I really like this album, but I don't blame people having the thought thinking that this was the album that it went downhill for Owl City and can be considered his "sell out" album. For one thing, he's working with different writers and producers. Another thing, the sound here goes more in the veins of mainstream pop (but at least, it still sounds good and tolerable as oppose to the tripe that is out there) and the rather "dreamier, atmospheric, more whimsical weird lyrics with loads of puns" that Adam Young created in the first three Owl City albums is less in the forefront (it's still there though at times).

He also worked with Blink 182's Mark Hoppus in Dementia and Carly Rae Jepsen in that song everyone have heard at least 5 times as background music. Good Time. At least, for both Owl City and Carly Rae Jepsen, Good Time got them out of being "one-hit wonders." Now they are deemed "two-hit wonders." Too bad for those folks that deem them that way, they are missing out of a lot of good stuff from Owl City and I should listen to more Carly Rae Jepsen and hope that she has more stuff that's not along the veins of Call Me Maybe.

I will also listen to The Midsummer Station acoustic EP which has I Hope You Think of Me. It's a really good track that has good bass and guitar lines on it.

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

Always bmth'n oot ma nut
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Slash Featuring Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators' Living the Dream. The 22nd album released in 2018 that I have listened to.

Well, this is the album, that involves an AB member, that has the least amount of juice in terms of hype going into this year for me. Maybe it may surprise me.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

anguyen92 wrote:Slash Featuring Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators' Living the Dream. The 22nd album released in 2018 that I have listened to.

Well, this is the album, that involves an AB member, that has the least amount of juice in terms of hype going into this year for me. Maybe it may surprise me.
Same. Minus the 22nd album thing :lol

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Slashspirators - Boulevard of Broken Hearts

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Owl City's Ultraviolet EP.

This EP took place in between albums and it's got a few great songs, including a good collaboration with Lindsey Stirling in the song Beautiful Times.

Also going to listen to Owl City's Mobile Orchestra album.

I think out of all Owl City albums, this is probably the most polarizing among the fanbase. Some say it's really way too generically poppy and more Christian-themed based songs than it should have (like My Everything and You're Not Alone which I like both a lot). I think it's a solid album, albeit not as strong as Owl City's prior albums. It also doesn't help a lot that during the tour in support of the album, Adam Young looked really subdued and less upbeat than one would think he would be during the Ocean Eyes and All Things Bright and Beautiful album periods. Some speculated that he wasn't taking care of himself that much to be in good touring shape, that he's been burned out by being pressured a lot by his record label. It's quite telling that Owl City didn't do a single show in three years between 2015-now since Adam Young decided to take a break from doing Owl City in that interim.

Edit: Well, finished Mobile Orchestra. I might as well continue onwards at this point with this.

Adam Young's Scores that he did in 2016. So as stated, after he kinda got burnt out on doing Owl City, Adam Young decided to created a couple of albums length worth of instrumental scores under his own name. There's a lot he did so I might as well listen to them all.

Lotha
Colloquial

quote courtesy of Douglas Adams

Post by Lotha »

I'm listening to the whooshing noise my deadlines make as they go by.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Sevendust - All I See Is War (full album)

Listened to the singles but never the full album. However, I’m REALLY digging it. It’s right up my alley.

Life Deceives You is great!!!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

All right, the Adam Young/Owl City binge listening marathon will continue now. Going to listen to as many of his instrumental scores as I can before I can finally re-listen to Owl City's latest album, Cinematic.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Mike Shinoda feat. K.Flay - Make It Up As I Go

I really enjoyed Mike's verses in this one.

Edit: Finally made it to this point with two days to go before the Owl City concert.

Owl City's Cinematic album. My 4th favorite album of 2018 and it's probably going to stay there. Just love the overall theme of "Your life is a movie, go make the most of it, because you are the only one that can do it to the fullest," because life is cinematic.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

One I Cinema - Not My Fault

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Beartooth's Disease album. The 23rd album released in 2018 that I have listened to.

I've been hearing these guys on Sirius Octane from time to time and I heard Disease and I liked the track enough. That's enough for me to listen to their latest album in full.

Edit: Aimer's Dawn album. It's the funny thing about getting into music because of a certain outlet. I heard one of Aimer's songs called Brave Shine which was a theme song from this anime called Fate/stay night (Unlimited Blade Works) and I had that song on repeat a lot since I've heard it. That's enough for me to listen to the album that have Brave Shine on it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

The new Steve Perry album, Traces.

Very nice. Very very soft album, but that's fine. He still has such a beautiful voice, and it recalls 40+ years of amazing music. So glad to hear something from The Voice once again.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die