What are you listening to right now?

Talk about anything and everything here.
anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by anguyen92 »

Nightwish's Decades Compilation album.

So Nightwish is playing a venue in Anaheim about 10-15 minutes away from my house in April. Thinking about going. Problem is that I do not know too much of their stuff and that their tickets with fees including cost about $80.00. I just can't justify spending that when I paid $25 each for Big Wreck and Myles and around $45-60 for Breaking Benjamin and Halestorm. Acts that I like more and know their stuff more.

So I might as well listen to this Decades album (since they are basing their set around it) and see if I like it enough to justify going and spending the $80.00.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

RED - A.I.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Polaris - Lucid
Thanks Timo!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Breaking Benjamin - Psycho

Wow, four songs out before the album release. I like the chorus of this one. I like it. It's a winner to me.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Jack White's new album is fantastic. Don't care what people say.

anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Nevermore - Narcosynthesis

Opening song from Dead Heart In A Dead World - probably a top 5 all time album for me. RIP Warrel. I miss this guy every day.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

MK - One Fine Day

Damn, this song is good...the subtlety in which the music builds is amazing to me.

kantkalmthefire
Brand New Start

Post by kantkalmthefire »

'The cry of mankind'

The song starts at about 1 min but I actually got into the intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvyIA-ihdNw&t=

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Three Days Grace's Outsider album. The 7th album released in 2018 that I have listened to. Well, I didn't enjoy their last album which was the first one with their new singer. I probably will not enjoy this one as well, but I would love to be surprised.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

Sevendust- Not Original

Lajon's vocals go right to the soul on this track. Awesome.
Thanks Andy!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Tremonti - A Dying Machine

For the 141st time :peace

As deep as any ocean
Like the promise of the morning sun
Never ending, Never done
The scale of my devotion
I crave until we love again
FOLLOW TO THE BITTER END
LIKE WALKING IN A NIGHTMARE
A TRAVESTY A SHELL BORN DEAD
FABRICATED INTERBRED
RELENTLESS AS YOU LIKE IT
NEVER ENDING NEVER GONE
NEVER CHANGING NEVER DONE
NEVER CHANGING NEVER DU-HUN
:cloud9

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Breaking Benjamin - Ember

This is the ___ new album I have listened to in 2018.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

AB4Lyfe wrote:Breaking Benjamin - Ember

You actually bought their new album, Duane? :eek Let me know what you think! ;) Im on the fence about buying it :lol

EDIT: Oh maybe you didn't buy their album yet? I just found out all their songs are on their official channel :lol :headscratch

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
AB4Lyfe wrote:Breaking Benjamin - Ember

You actually bought their new album, Duane? :eek Let me know what you think! ;) Im on the fence about buying it :lol

EDIT: Oh maybe you didn't buy their album yet? I just found out all their songs are on their official channel :lol :headscratch
Bought the album, had that shit pre-ordered. And I LOVE Torn In Two, song is damn good.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

AB4Lyfe wrote:Bought the album, had that shit pre-ordered. And I LOVE Torn In Two, song is damn good.
:lol I really loved The Dark of You so far, the rest of the unreleased songs are pretty much what I expected :lol

Breaking Benjamin - Close Your Eyes

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Breaking Benjamin's Ember album. The 8th album released in 2018 that I have listened to.

Woot to new Breaking Benjamin. The tracks they released so far hasn't really excited me as much as the Dark Before Dawn tracks, but it's bound to be better than the tripe that their contemporaries have been releasing nowadays.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

I want to say this album is more instrumentally heavy than past albums...some nice riffs and double bass parts.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Oh yeah, I enjoyed the Ember album. Probably the only other album I thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish, next to Year of the Tiger. I don't think it's as great as Dark Before Dawn (I just like that album a lot, 2nd favorite behind Dear Agony), but I thought it is a good follow-up. The songs are in a typical Breaking Benjamin mold, so if people don't like that style, too bad, this album is not for them. There were two songs, by my count, that did felt like a carbon copy of other Breaking Benjamin songs. Red Cold River sounded like Bury Me Alive and Close Your Eyes sounded in the mold of I Will Not Bow.

Still, the album did have certain flaws, I felt. If you take away the intro/outro tracks, this album is 10 songs and 36 minutes. I know, I know, this used to be a standard in the old-school music days, but we ain't in that era anymore and bands are releasing stuff every 3 years or so instead of like a year, year and a half. So if I had to wait three more years for another Breaking Benjamin album, I was hoping they came up with enough quality songs to fill around 45-50 minutes. Oh well.

I guess another flaw is that Ben picked some great musicians and formed a great line-up in this new era of Breaking Benjamin and those guys are great singers as well (Keith Wallen filled in nicely live singing lead in songs like Sooner or Later and their bassist, Aaron Bruch, does a good job doing the harsher vocals live.) I don't think their musical abilities was really used in Ember as optimally as one would think and that if it could have been just Ben Burnley and four other guys, no one would really know the difference. In a sense, that's a pro and a con for Breaking Benjamin. The negative part of that could lead to creating stale music (and one could argue that Breaking Benjamin is already at that point).

The positive part of that is that they still retain their known musical identity that is Breaking Benjamin. From Saturate to Ember, they haven't really changed their direction at all and to me, that can a good thing since bands like Shinedown, Papa Roach, and Theory of a Deadman have gone a different direction with their music (for better and for worst, mainly worst and unenjoyable to me). It would be just nice if there was one band in my youth can retain that certain sound and create consistent music/sound and Breaking Benjamin happens to be that band and that's all right to me. Also tying this into AB, I wouldn't AB to be that band in my youth to create a consistent sound in their music. As great as ODR and Blackbird were, I don't think it could be creative rewarding to them to try to replicate that for AB VI and I probably don't want them to do that. I still trust them to change their sound and write compelling rock songs/anthems and continue to grow as musicians. It's just bands like Shinedown and Daughtry that I do not trust to do that in that sense, if it makes sense.

Anyway, favorites from Ember: Feed the Wolf, Psycho, Down, Torn in Two, and Close Your Eyes. This probably is a lock for my 2nd favorite album of the year for now (and there's a lot of good stuff this year to get excited about), until Black Stone Cherry and Tremonti's A Dying Machine album gets a listen and then we shall see.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Jen Ledger's Ledger EP. It's going to be interesting to see how Skillet's drummer/backup vocalist is as a songwriter.

sugarandcyanide
Bought The CDs

Post by sugarandcyanide »

"If Only You Were Lonely" - Trace Adkins
SMKC

07/20/14 - Northfield, OH
09/26/15 - Northfield, OH
08/01/19 - Northfield, OH

Myles - YOTT

11/19/18 - Cleveland, OH