What are you listening to right now?

Talk about anything and everything here.
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Timotheus »

The National - Mr. November
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

\m/Tremonster\m/
White Knuckled

Post by \m/Tremonster\m/ »

Black The Sky- King's X

\m/Tremonster\m/
White Knuckled

Post by \m/Tremonster\m/ »

Now listening to the Gretchen Goes To Nebraska album. Absolutely kickass!

Rosenblaetter
Loyal Follower

Post by Rosenblaetter »

New Katatonia - The Fall Of Hearts
FYI I'm a woman.
--------------------
Past shows: Alter Bridge 10.11 NL, Kensington 11.11 NL, Alter Bridge 16.11 PL
Future shows: Kensington 15.02 DE, Kensington 17.02 PL, Rival Sons 18.02 PL

AliceMudgarden
White Knuckled

Post by AliceMudgarden »

Sturgill Simpson - Call to Arms (One of My favorite songs of the year)

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Switchfoot - Live It Well

I knew they had a new album coming out this year, but I was not aware that the release date was going to be in July until someone on the Dream Theater Forums mentioned it on a 2016 albums release date thread. So with an album coming out in July, there's got to be some songs they got out before the album is out, and here we are. Good start. Not as poppy as their singles from their Fading West album, but has a good meaning to it.

Tom
Jim's Brother

Post by Tom »

Brand New Start

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Periphery - The Price is Wrong

Jamjamjam
Thanks Timo!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

austinjhnsn wrote:Periphery - The Price is Wrong

Jamjamjam
This! :headbang

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Lacuna Coil - Downfall

Fucking loving the guitar solo from Myles in this song. :mkrules :cloud9

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/MKN3d-Brm58[/youtube]

2:49-3:25 :mkrules :cloud9

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Damn. I'm stupidly excited to hear new Myles solos on AB V now!

Sucks that the solo is so buried in the mix. Pretty cool song though.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Timotheus wrote:Damn. That makes me stupidly excited to hear new Myles solos on AB V!
I know right! I only hope he gets that creative on AB V!

Funny tidbit: The part in the solo at 3:09 might sound familiar to you if you've seen some of his live videos of the guitar battles and such. I swear I've heard that same sequence of notes over and over again in many videos on YouTube. It's almost like an involuntary reflex in terms of soulful soloing for him :lol :mkrules

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Timotheus wrote:Damn. That makes me stupidly excited to hear new Myles solos on AB V!

Funny tidbit: The part in the solo at 3:09 might sound familiar to you if you've seen some of his live videos of the guitar battles and such. I swear I've heard that same sequence of notes over and over again in many videos on YouTube. It's almost like an involuntary reflex in terms of soulful soloing for him :lol :mkrules
Yea, that's my least favorite part of the solo, because it's seems a bit like he's on autopilot. Still sounds great of course, but the entire first half is just incredible.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Timotheus wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:

Yea, that's my least favorite part of the solo, because it's seems a bit like he's on autopilot. The entire first half is incredible.
I didn't think it was possible to have a least favorite part of a solo let alone a MK one! :eek I love the whole thing! (obviously)

BUT autopilot =/= getting lost in the moment and soloing soulfully, IMO.

Still if he solos anything like that on AB V at least once, I'll be happy that he took the liberties of doing it. Still surprised it doesn't seem like Mark pushes him more often to do solos like he said he does.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

It's just a pretty common lick. Still sounds really good. Love the slide afterwards.

He had three solos on Fortress (four if you split the ones in the title track). That's not bad for a guy who's not the lead guitarist. If there's a Brand New Start/Bleed It Dry type of solo interlude, I would love to have Myles take it for once. The last time they took advantage of a moment like that the solo of Blackbird happened.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Timotheus wrote:It's just a pretty common lick. Still sounds really good. Love the slide afterwards.

He had three solos on Fortress (four if you split the ones in the title track). That's not bad for a guy who's not the lead guitarist. If there's a Brand New Start/Bleed It Dry type of solo interlude, I would love to have Myles take it for once. The last time they took advantage of a moment like that the solo of Blackbird happened.
Hmm.

Sure it's not bad, but the guy barely ever gets a chance to shine instrumentally. I realize that it's completely up to Myles on what he does and doesn't want to do in AB, but having to always rely on old Cosmic Dust and Citizen Swing songs to hear that other half of Myles being used to it's full potential doesn't always satisfy because it's nothing NEW, you know what I mean? The Solo on Downfall is the best we've heard from Myles since Blackbird or maybe COA at this point like you said. While Mark has gone and done 30+ solos in songs since then. It's kind of unfair and imbalanced.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

On the plus side, one of my other forum buddies over at TSDF heard the album and she said she really likes Myles' solo as well! So at least it's not just crazy diehard AB & MK fans that appreciate it!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Timotheus wrote:It's just a pretty common lick. Still sounds really good. Love the slide afterwards.

Hmm.

Sure it's not bad, but the guy barely ever gets a chance to shine instrumentally. I realize that it's completely up to Myles on what he does and doesn't want to do in AB, but having to always rely on old Cosmic Dust and Citizen Swing songs to hear that other half of Myles being used to it's full potential doesn't always satisfy because it's nothing NEW, you know what I mean? The Solo on Downfall is the best we've heard from Myles since Blackbird or maybe COA at this point like you said. While Mark has gone and done 30+ solos in songs since then. It's kind of unfair and imbalanced.
There are plenty of moments where he gets to shine instrumentally, just more subtly. Guitar solos are not everything, and he still is the singer of this band. That's where his main focus should be.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Timotheus wrote:Guitar solos are not everything
This is news to me :lol