Why religion is unlogical

Talk about anything and everything here.
Ashlee
Site Admin

Re: Why religion is unlogical

Post by Ashlee »

Andy92 wrote:Read my post. I can still believe the Bible is 100% true with these beliefs.
People who don't want to get it won't, Andy. It's not a big deal. :) You presented yourself well.

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

Macca wrote:AlterSteve I have just two words for you. Good riddance.
:lol

Circles, you sneaky bastard. Should've told me who you are.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

circles is altersteve?

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Ashlee wrote:
Andy92 wrote:Read my post. I can still believe the Bible is 100% true with these beliefs.
People who don't want to get it won't, Andy. It's not a big deal. :) You presented yourself well.
Thanks Ashlee. :)
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

IzziSixx
Bought The CDs

Post by IzziSixx »

I seem to have forgotten that using logic when talking about the Bible doesn't make sense to some people. Oi fuckin' vey. :slam

AB23, you seem to be the kind of religious person I like, and for that I thank you. A lot of people don't seem to understand that God (if he exists) gives you free will.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Why is the concept in the verse I posted illogical, Izzi?

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

IzziSixx wrote:I seem to have forgotten that using logic when talking about the Bible doesn't make sense to some people. Oi fuckin' vey. :slam

AB23, you seem to be the kind of religious person I like, and for that I thank you. A lot of people don't seem to understand that God (if he exists) gives you free will.
i just took an entire years worth of philosophy which changed my perception. God gave us free will. the alternative to having free will would be to have God control our every move, which would basically make us all puppets. the positive to this is there would be no evil in this world. that is the con to having free will. with free will comes psychos like manson or hitler who bring hatred to the world. but even this is a better alternative to being a puppet, so in saying that we have free will, we cant be upset that people have their own opinions, including those on the Bible.

IzziSixx
Bought The CDs

Post by IzziSixx »

It's not exactly that I'm upset that they have their own opinions, it's that they don't even try to understand any other options, it seems. Their lives may be better if they did. It's close-minded-ness that bothers me.
Andy92 wrote:Why is the concept in the verse I posted illogical, Izzi?
You said you believed in 100% of the Bible, and then pulled up a verse about how the Old Testament shouldn't be followed. If one part of the Bible says not to believe/follow another part, that doesn't mean you believe/follow 100% of it.

Ashlee
Site Admin

Post by Ashlee »

AB23 wrote:
IzziSixx wrote:I seem to have forgotten that using logic when talking about the Bible doesn't make sense to some people. Oi fuckin' vey. :slam

i just took an entire years worth of philosophy which changed my perception. God gave us free will. the alternative to having free will would be to have God control our every move, which would basically make us all puppets. the positive to this is there would be no evil in this world. that is the con to having free will. with free will comes psychos like manson or hitler who bring hatred to the world. but even this is a better alternative to being a puppet, so in saying that we have free will, we cant be upset that people have their own opinions, including those on the Bible.
Religious people that don't understand that God gives us free will must be really, really misguided. How could they think any differently if they make decisions for themselves? I've always struggled with how people think we can be predestined but have free will at the same time. That has always seemed completely contradictory to me.

I'd be interested to know how the bit about the Old Testament not applying anymore since the "sacrifice of Christ" seems illogical to you. If someone says they believe the bible 100%, and the bible says in Galatians that the "Old Law" (aka Old Testament) can be disregarded, how does that make the argument illogical?

I don't honestly care how people feel one way or another. I don't believe there's anything wrong with abortion, homosexuality, giving money to poor people, eating lobster, wearing polyester because Jesus didn't say anything about it. He said a lot of stuff. If that were important, he might have mentioned it.

Vaux
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Vaux »

So the people that believe in the bible I just have to ask, you really believe that humans never evolved, a man lived in a whale, Noah put a billion species of animals on a boat, the universe was created in 6 days and all of that, eh?

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

IzziSixx wrote:
Andy92 wrote:Why is the concept in the verse I posted illogical, Izzi?
You said you believed in 100% of the Bible, and then pulled up a verse about how the Old Testament shouldn't be followed. If one part of the Bible says not to believe/follow another part, that doesn't mean you believe/follow 100% of it.
Ah, but on the contrary.

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." - Matthew 5:17.

Jesus did not come to earth to tell us "the old law is pointless." He came to give us a chance in redemption because it isn't possible for us to keep all of those laws.

The Old Testament law was never intended to save the human race. It was put in place to make the human race aware of their imperfections.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Ashlee wrote:
AB23 wrote:

Religious people that don't understand that God gives us free will must be really, really misguided. How could they think any differently if they make decisions for themselves? I've always struggled with how people think we can be predestined but have free will at the same time. That has always seemed completely contradictory to me.

I'd be interested to know how the bit about the Old Testament not applying anymore since the "sacrifice of Christ" seems illogical to you. If someone says they believe the bible 100%, and the bible says in Galatians that the "Old Law" (aka Old Testament) can be disregarded, how does that make the argument illogical?

I don't honestly care how people feel one way or another. I don't believe there's anything wrong with abortion, homosexuality, giving money to poor people, eating lobster, wearing polyester because Jesus didn't say anything about it. He said a lot of stuff. If that were important, he might have mentioned it.
i didnt say anything was illogical. in fact, i said the opposite. God gave us the free will to agree with whatever we want, whether its 100% of the Bible, 90%, or barely any. my personal belief is that people make their own choices to be happy, and at the end of the day thats what is most important, no matter who agrees with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I believe all humans have free will. That shouldn't be used as an excuse to do whatever we want though. If you truly follow God, you would use your gift of free will to live according to His will, no?

"You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: "'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" - Galatians 5:13-14.

Ashlee
Site Admin

Post by Ashlee »

AB23 wrote: i didnt say anything was illogical. in fact, i said the opposite. God gave us the free will to agree with whatever we want, whether its 100% of the Bible, 90%, or barely any. my personal belief is that people make their own choices to be happy, and at the end of the day thats what is most important, no matter who agrees with it.
Was addressing Izzi, not you. You and I seem to agree on this point.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

I'm not a religious person. Just adding that to this thread, so you all know where i stand

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Jim wrote:I'm not a religious person. Just adding that to this thread, so you all know where i stand
for some reason i had a feeling youd say that... haha

AustinH22
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by AustinH22 »

Circles wrote:
Macca wrote:AlterSteve I have just two words for you. Good riddance.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
God I love you two weasels. Referencing one of the greatest quotes of all time. ALL TIME!!

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

Vaux wrote:Well that's convenient isn't it? OK so the bible, yeah you admit there could be some bullshit in there. But that whole god part, yeah that part is certainly not bullshit. Got it. :smashcomp

I love how religious people get to pick and choose which religion and what parts of the religion they want to believe, and pretend like the rest doesn't exist.
Don't put words in my mouth or tell me what my beliefs are please. I hate that. Why don't you actually ask me what I mean before you start jumping to conclusions like that, thanks.
Last edited by ALTERSTEVE on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:17 am, edited 4 times in total.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

If our God is an all forgiving God giving us the luxury of free will you'd think he'd understand in return for your loyalty and homage

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

AB23 wrote:If our God is an all forgiving God giving us the luxury of free will you'd think he'd understand in return for your loyalty and homage
Was this addressed to me?