Thinking of moving out of state

Talk about anything and everything here.
ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Thinking of moving out of state

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

So here's the deal. I've been thinking of moving to California. I'm 20 years old and not currently attending school (though I plan on doing so next year), and I have a pretty good job at a movie theater where I make some money, but not enough to live on my own (I'm still living with my parents as of now, which in this area isn't as strange as it may be elsewhere). All my friends and family are here (in Utah) and I've grown up here for most of my life. I like it here. But the problem is that I want to get into filmmaking, and there are simply not very many opportunities for an aspiring filmmaker in Utah. I also don't want to be too far away from home. But I guess I'm also in need of a bit of a "life reboot," since there's simply not a lot going for me here. So you could say I'm having a bit of a dilemma. I've talked to my parents, friends, other family members, co-workers, employers, etc., and they all seem to be in support of the idea, but I'm not entirely sure of the idea of moving away from home so suddenly.

What do you guys think? Any ideas? I'd love to hear some advice, feedback, anything.

Thanks a lot.
Last edited by ALTERSTEVE on Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AB23
Still Remains

Re: Thinking of moving out of state

Post by AB23 »

find a roommate dude. im thinking of moving somewhere on the beach myself, but cant afford it on my own. get like a 2 bedroom apartment and share it with one or two other guys (one on the couch) its expensive as shit in cali im pretty sure, ive been looking at moving to miami or maryland myself

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

If I were a single guy, I'd be headed north. There is a HUGE oil boom going on in South Dakota right now. A friend told me that they are hiring McDonalds workers for something like 16 bucks an hour. Imagine if you got on an oil crew. That'd be some jack in the bank for sure.

But I'm married, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be if I just up and went there. Plus, I hate cold weather.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Believe me, the beach in So Cal is about as expensive as it gets. Line up some jobs before you move. It doesn't have to be a filmmaking job, but have work to support yourself as you get settled and start looking for what you really want to do in the biz.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

Oh, for sure. I'm definitely not going to go to Los Angeles or anything, that's way too expensive for me. And I'm going to do this the smart way and line up a good paying job before this happens. And that's only if I do end up moving, and even if it happens then it won't for at least another year or two. I'm just trying to get some ideas as of now.

Thanks for the input, guys.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

find a roommate and youll be straight. im currently on the market for a roommate. miami is expensive as shit and ocean city, maryland only has good opportunities in the summer

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Where else are you looking for opportunities in the film industry?

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

gbruin wrote:Where else are you looking for opportunities in the film industry?
I guess there are some places here in Utah (especially Sundance). A lot of people, though, have told me that California is the place to be for an aspiring filmmaker like myself. It's just so dang expensive there haha

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Well, it's not as expensive if you're willing to live inland, like the San Fernando Valley or Santa Clarita, for instance. Are there any other citiea/areas that push the film industry? I'm sure New York and Miami do.