The Grammar Thread - Fixing GenZ one TABN post at a time!

Talk about anything and everything here.
agny
On The Rail

Re: The Grammar Thread - Not a citable source.

Post by agny »

TenaciousBe wrote:Here's a grammar question -- "You're not" and "You aren't" are basically the same thing, the three words "You are not" contracted in different ways. Wouldn't it stand to reason that we could contract it even further, into one word, "You'ren't"? I think we should make that a thing.
Never thought about that. Maybe it''s because people emphasize "you're NOT" or "YOU aren't" differently. How do you suggest "you'ren't" be pronounced? Or is this just for formal writing?
"Y'ain't" would be another alternative? :lol
Alterations: Dec 2010, May 2011, August 2011x2, Sept 2011, Oct 2014x2

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: The Grammar Thread - Now with peasant input!

Post by Timotheus »

You'ren't a hooker = You rent a hooker
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Macca
Greg

Re: The Grammar Thread - Now with peasant input!

Post by Macca »

yirny
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

Rosenblaetter
Loyal Follower

Re: The Grammar Thread - Soon to be thread of the year! do i

Post by Rosenblaetter »

If you continue like that, I may have to print this and hand over to every English student I know.
FYI I'm a woman.
--------------------
Past shows: Alter Bridge 10.11 NL, Kensington 11.11 NL, Alter Bridge 16.11 PL
Future shows: Kensington 15.02 DE, Kensington 17.02 PL, Rival Sons 18.02 PL

abw1987
Blood Machines

Re: The Grammar Thread - Soon to be thread of the year! do i

Post by abw1987 »

I often type such triple-contractions as "I can't've done that." If it sounds reasonable to say out loud, I say go for it. You'ren't sounds a bit silly though. :lol

Jim
Blood Machines

Re: Self-five

Post by Jim »

zazthespaz wrote:
zazisaspaz wrote:alsooooo "The Grammar Thread- Now With Peasant Input" haha really?
Shoutout to my peeps
zazisaspaz wrote:
Jim wrote:Pretty sure Cameron and his sister were sitting next to eachother on the sofa on seperate laptops when they discovered the missing comma in a word I'd written.. A real life high five happened, maybe a family shower
Hahaha well Jim sure knows how to make things awkward!
Don't be jealous though, not everyone can be as cool as us anddd it was an apostrophe not a comma...just sayin

*do they spell "separate" like that in your country? or should we make fun of that too?
DOUBLE SNAP! Jim, too bad you're not a woman cause my sister is making you her bitch.
I'm uncomfortable with how close you guys are over grammar based things. A little worrying

AustinH22
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: The Grammar Thread - Home of the "Free Josiah Foundation

Post by AustinH22 »

#FreeJosiah

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: The Grammar Thread - Home of the "Free Josiah Foundation

Post by Timotheus »

:peace
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

mtshaw3
TABN.com Citizen

Re: The Grammar Thread - Not a citable source.

Post by mtshaw3 »

Jim wrote:Pretty sure Cameron and his sister were sitting next to eachother on the sofa on seperate laptops when they discovered the missing comma in a word I'd written.. A real life high five happened, maybe a family shower
BUMP!!!!

I can't believe I'm just now finding this thread! This is seriously my "thing".

By the way, can't believe no one else caught this yet, but "each other" is NEVER one word! They are 2 separate words. "So Cameron and his sister were sitting next to each other..."

edit to add this link
http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/ea ... other.aspx
Huge thanks to Andy! Love my new sig!

DonHarry
King Slayer

Re: The Grammar Thread - Wuddup C3PO?!

Post by DonHarry »

This is seriously my "thing".
You have my pity bro.

mtshaw3
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mtshaw3 »

DonHarry wrote:
This is seriously my "thing".
You have my pity bro.
Haha, we just keep running into one another. I enjoy grammar as odd as that may sound. It's always just come naturally to me.
Huge thanks to Andy! Love my new sig!

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

Me two.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Me free

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: take it to heart or rot in hell

Post by zazthespaz »

-'s vs. -s
-'s - indicates possession or indicates something "is" or "has" going to or done something. Ex: Zaz's cats are talked about way too much on these boards. Zaz's going to stop referencing his cats from here on out.
-s indicates plurality. Ex: I have two cats.

edit: not that anyone is going to read this, but I accidentally deleted it making a new post by writing the new post in its place and then I went back and forth by hitting the back button to get the original post so I could get the original subject (which is sort of rude in retrospect but I loled on the inside [loi-ing?]) and a whole bunch of work was required. in fact, i've been meaning to write a post with about 10x more meaning and likelihood of being read but now i'm too tired so i might not do that because i was going to do that about 15 minutes ago and its 12:40 at night. i am considering turning this into a diary however, keep it my little secret like i was planning on making the subject lines (clearly that didn't work) so i might go ahead and do that, send $100 to whoever finds out first or something like that. idk.
~ CP 10/09/13 12:39am

Ok I'm going with the aforementioned diary idea.

So today was my Friday to a 3 day week but a one day weekend, it's been a hectic week, so I'm ok with that. Anyway, there was a girl at work there for a function in the bar and we kept making eye contact and she was cute, but she went into the bar with her friends/coworkers and I went on some shuttle runs, during which, she left at some point and she didn't leave her number for me at the front desk. Clearly I intimidated her and while that's cool and all, I am sad. Then driving home I got pulled over. The cop said I didn't have my blinker on and I took the turn too sharp. I'll admit to the sharpness but pretty sure I had my blinker on. He just told me to drive a little more careful and sent me on my way so it's cool.
~CP 10/10/13 12:08am

Today was my day off and I woke up around 10:45am, which I hate. I'd like to be up around 9:30 or 10:00 the latest but I stay up and watch the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson because it's the best thing on TV. Ate a bowl of cereal, brushed my teeth, washed my face, and got into my gym clothes. Then did my Insanity work out for the day. As I was turning off my computer (I have the dvds on my pc), a guy from elementary school that we coincidentally hired at the hotel started chatting me on facebook about the job. I got into the shower around 1:30, came back downstairs around 1:55, and made lunch of nachos with the last of the verde salsa and a cheap taco bell salsa (horrible, don't ever buy it). They sucked. Tried calling Summer to tell her about the Orlando trip, but she didn't answer her phone even though she said to call at that time (turned out she had a lab to go to). Started sending out applications to two jobs, writing cover letters is a pain in the ass, especially considering a recruiter told me in a seminar that nobody reads them. I also sent a letter to Dan Catullo asking if he had anything; I had told him I was looking for a job in Orlando and he was kind enough to give me a personal business card so I took full advantage of it. By the time I was done, it was about 4:30 - day wasted. I restrung my guitar which I'd been needing to do for about a month and a half while watching the latest How I Met Your Mother (They're still dragging it out despite it being the last season... lame). Parents were in and out throughout the evening; looked at houses in Houston with my dad since he wants to move there, some nice places for good prices! Then played the new mode on the BF4 beta. Played more rounds than I wanted to cause my dad showed up to play and I didn't want to leave him. That leaves me here. Feel like it was a productive day, but at the same time, feel like it was wasted, especially since I'm going back to work tomorrow... Rrg. Man it's a lot easier to type on the computer vs. my iphone...

~CP 10//10/13 11:32pm
Last edited by zazthespaz on Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: The Grammar Thread - dam u pepl r stoopid

Post by Timotheus »

Zaz, I think you should update this one because of that mistake you made in the other thread. I understand that it's a bit confusing, so I'll write it down for you:

Then/Than/Ten
(as explained by our own JadedRescue and updated by Timotheus, because of zaz's awkward mistake)
Jaded Rescue wrote:Than is about quantity, as in, "I have less fucks to give than Ashlee."

Then is what you use for something like, "I used to not give fucks about grammar, then Ashlee punched me in the face."

Ten is a number following 9 and preceding 11. "I gave her ten eggs"
Author's input:
Than - used for comparisons
Then - used to describe a chronological sequence
Ten - used to count, label, and measure
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: How dare he call me out!

Post by zazthespaz »

:lol up yours Timmy. I was on my phone!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I wish I could write like my hair lipped uncle talks. That would really blow your mind. It's beyond King of the Hill.

I'm gon' havta runto da sto.' We out ob mik an' eggs
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

One Drew Remains wrote:I wish I could write like my hair lipped uncle talks. That would really blow your mind. It's beyond King of the Hill.

I'm gon' havta runto da sto.' We out ob mik an' eggs
Reminds me of Macca..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.be/20 ... thing.html
This post made me think of this thread. I think it's a great addition!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

I havent spoken to macca for a couple days