What grinds your gears?

Talk about anything and everything here.
zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Don't come to me personally though, I have no emotion and cannot empathize.

Post by zazthespaz »

Good luck Crumbso - definitely not an easy hand you've been dealt. Hope you're able to find some peaceful time for yourself in the midst of all of it!
Crumbso wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:22 am Just remember it's okay to reach out to those around you and/or people on the internet or stress/depression/suicide helplines.
Just want to reiterate this. Difficult times we're all going through so everyone should feel free to just vent on here if it'll make you feel better. Sometimes it's good just to rant somewhere it'll be seen.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Crumbso
On The Rail

Re: What grinds your gears?

Post by Crumbso »

Thanks guys. It just started as a moan about UK government bureaucracy and suddenly turned into an outpouring of gear grinding! Keep calm and carry on, stiff upper lip, chin up.... and all sorts of other British idioms :P :lol

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Crumbso wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:02 pm Thanks guys. It just started as a moan about UK government bureaucracy and suddenly turned into an outpouring of gear grinding! Keep calm and carry on, stiff upper lip, chin up.... and all sorts of other British idioms :P :lol
Our national motto is basically "emotions are bad imho".

Here's to a much improved '21. Can't believe the government is seriously trying to cut back on universal credit during a pandemic, but there you go (who am I kidding, of course I can.)
For all of the hope that it brings...

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Ubik wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:58 pm
Crumbso wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:02 pm Thanks guys. It just started as a moan about UK government bureaucracy and suddenly turned into an outpouring of gear grinding! Keep calm and carry on, stiff upper lip, chin up.... and all sorts of other British idioms :P :lol
Our national motto is basically "emotions are bad imho".

Here's to a much improved '21. Can't believe the government is seriously trying to cut back on universal credit during a pandemic, but there you go (who am I kidding, of course I can.)
Not qualified to make an opinion on this.

What grinds my gears? When crushes don't like me back
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Great way to take 5% off of any bill though!

Post by zazthespaz »

I started attending grad school online this semester to get my Master's in marketing and just got a 95% back on my first paper. No comments were attached to it indicating why I lost the remaining 5% so I emailed the prof and her response was essentially, "Nobody's perfect, even the best writers in the world have room for improvement so I don't give a full score." I'm waiting for clarification on what I could have done to improve, but right now I'm interpreting it as being judged by criteria that humans cannot fully meet, and I'm pissed. Depending on her response, I may reach out to the Dean of the school cause there are several other irritants I've dealt with so far in my first month of attending.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: If you've got a relative who was there, I'd be more than happy to report them for you!

Post by zazthespaz »

Addendum: the impeachment trial and the 13 minute video the Democrats put together showed some footage of the insurrection I hadn't seen before. I was mad as hell that day and seeing the new footage just reignited the flame. I can't believe the people who disgraced the country so severely that day are still walking among us. I'm all for freedom of speech and protesting (peacefully), but attacking people who are sworn to defend a building which represents you (the attacker) is a new low.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Re: If you've got a relative who was there, I'd be more than happy to report them for you!

Post by TenaciousBe »

zazthespaz wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:37 pm Addendum: the impeachment trial and the 13 minute video the Democrats put together showed some footage of the insurrection I hadn't seen before. I was mad as hell that day and seeing the new footage just reignited the flame. I can't believe the people who disgraced the country so severely that day are still walking among us. I'm all for freedom of speech and protesting (peacefully), but attacking people who are sworn to defend a building which represents you (the attacker) is a new low.
This. All of this. I don't want to get into a giant flame war with anyone here (as though there were more than like 5 of us who still use the board anyway), but the people who stand up for the insurrectionists while simultaneously crying about "cancel culture" and their freedoms being taken away when they get banned from social media for inciting riots, while also simultaneously crying about how the libs were rioting and burning buildings in the name of BLM while saying that they were calling it "peaceful protests".... them. They grind my gears.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

And it won't make sense then, either, and there's no Dean to write to.

Post by gbruin »

zazthespaz wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:40 pm I'm waiting for clarification on what I could have done to improve, but right now I'm interpreting it as being judged by criteria that humans cannot fully meet, and I'm pissed.
It's training for marriage.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Look in the mirror...

Post by gbruin »

TenaciousBe wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:58 am
zazthespaz wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:37 pm Addendum: the impeachment trial and the 13 minute video the Democrats put together showed some footage of the insurrection I hadn't seen before. I was mad as hell that day and seeing the new footage just reignited the flame. I can't believe the people who disgraced the country so severely that day are still walking among us. I'm all for freedom of speech and protesting (peacefully), but attacking people who are sworn to defend a building which represents you (the attacker) is a new low.
This. All of this. I don't want to get into a giant flame war with anyone here (as though there were more than like 5 of us who still use the board anyway), but the people who stand up for the insurrectionists while simultaneously crying about "cancel culture" and their freedoms being taken away when they get banned from social media for inciting riots, while also simultaneously crying about how the libs were rioting and burning buildings in the name of BLM while saying that they were calling it "peaceful protests".... them. They grind my gears.
What some people call "cancel culture" I call holding one responsible for being an asshole.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

This x100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

The fact that the majority of people involved in this, including the one who incited the insurrection at the capital, are more than likely not going to face charges is absolutely ridiculous. It's an embarrassment and disgrace.

I try not to talk politics, because if you disagree with someone, even one of your closest friends, that usually means the friendship is over nowadays, but anyone who defends what happened at the capital building can really go f off. DJT and anyone involved in that attack on our capital should be sentenced to prison, as well as anyone who supports them.
Thanks Andy!

Micky
On The Rail

Professors love doing this

Post by Micky »

zazthespaz wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:40 pm I started attending grad school online this semester to get my Master's in marketing and just got a 95% back on my first paper. No comments were attached to it indicating why I lost the remaining 5% so I emailed the prof and her response was essentially, "Nobody's perfect, even the best writers in the world have room for improvement so I don't give a full score." I'm waiting for clarification on what I could have done to improve, but right now I'm interpreting it as being judged by criteria that humans cannot fully meet, and I'm pissed. Depending on her response, I may reach out to the Dean of the school cause there are several other irritants I've dealt with so far in my first month of attending.
Man, I almost texted you about this the other day just to vent, but I had a similar experience.

I have a poetry class this semester, and we have to write 2-3 poems a week of any length, topic, etc. My professor says she grades us on the "integrity of our poetry". Now, I'm no poet, but if I work really hard on a poem, or any writing for that matter, who are you to say I do not deserve a 100? I haven't gotten a single 100 on a poem turned in this semester because "they dont have the effect that I am looking for in poetry" Last I checked, the poems weren't meant for YOU, they were meant for us to express ourselves.

I reached out to the Dean of Student Affairs yesterday, because I don't feel that you can judge someone else's written work if you cannot approach it with an open mind. Much like yourself, I feel like I'm being judged by criteria that humans cannot fully meet. I hope your situation gets resolved soon, brother. If you need me to, I'll go to bat for you and say "Cameron paid me $20 to write his paper for him and I know for a fact it was worth at least a 99.9%!
Thanks Andy!

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: There once was a man from Nantucket...

Post by zazthespaz »

Micky wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:25 am If you need me to, I'll go to bat for you and say "Cameron paid me $20 to write his paper for him and I know for a fact it was worth at least a 99.9%!
:lol I'm game! I'll write a poem for you too if you want!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

maximzub
On The Rail

Re: Professors love doing this

Post by maximzub »

Micky wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:25 amLast I checked, the poems weren't meant for YOU, they were meant for us to express ourselves.
This. In the same way, our essays in AP US History should not be graded by our teacher's opinion. I ended up with a bad grade in the class first semester even though I put more work into it than all my other classes combined. Luckily I switched out, so now I'm in regular US History.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

maximzub wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:18 pm
Micky wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:25 amLast I checked, the poems weren't meant for YOU, they were meant for us to express ourselves.
This. In the same way, our essays in AP US History should not be graded by our teacher's opinion. I ended up with a bad grade in the class first semester even though I put more work into it than all my other classes combined. Luckily I switched out, so now I'm in regular US History.
I’m sorry you had To deal with that. It happens far too much in college!

I’m an education major and I will be teaching in the fall. I understand that there are certain expectations and criteria for students to meet. But if students do these things and the teacher/Professor simply isn’t interested or impressed with what we wrote, how is it fair to say a students hard work and effort isn’t worth an A? It’s a ridiculous thing to even happen! If a student meets criteria and works their asses off, they should be rewarded with a good grade!

Bottom line: school stinks!
Thanks Andy!

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Micky wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:08 pm I’m sorry you had to deal with that. It happens far too much in college!
If it happens a lot in college, then I'm scared, because I'm only a junior in high school!
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Re: Look in the mirror...

Post by TenaciousBe »

gbruin wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:05 pm
TenaciousBe wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:58 am
What some people call "cancel culture" I call holding one responsible for being an asshole.
AMEN.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Cell bio isn't very subjective

Post by gbruin »

Micky wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:25 am
zazthespaz wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:40 pm I started attending grad school online this semester to get my Master's in marketing and just got a 95% back on my first paper. No comments were attached to it indicating why I lost the remaining 5% so I emailed the prof and her response was essentially, "Nobody's perfect, even the best writers in the world have room for improvement so I don't give a full score." I'm waiting for clarification on what I could have done to improve, but right now I'm interpreting it as being judged by criteria that humans cannot fully meet, and I'm pissed. Depending on her response, I may reach out to the Dean of the school cause there are several other irritants I've dealt with so far in my first month of attending.
Man, I almost texted you about this the other day just to vent, but I had a similar experience.

I have a poetry class this semester, and we have to write 2-3 poems a week of any length, topic, etc. My professor says she grades us on the "integrity of our poetry". Now, I'm no poet, but if I work really hard on a poem, or any writing for that matter, who are you to say I do not deserve a 100? I haven't gotten a single 100 on a poem turned in this semester because "they dont have the effect that I am looking for in poetry" Last I checked, the poems weren't meant for YOU, they were meant for us to express ourselves.

I reached out to the Dean of Student Affairs yesterday, because I don't feel that you can judge someone else's written work if you cannot approach it with an open mind. Much like yourself, I feel like I'm being judged by criteria that humans cannot fully meet. I hope your situation gets resolved soon, brother. If you need me to, I'll go to bat for you and say "Cameron paid me $20 to write his paper for him and I know for a fact it was worth at least a 99.9%!
And this explains almost perfectly why I changed majors from English to pre-med.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: 2021 is the annoying little brother to 2020.

Post by zazthespaz »

Had to post video responses for a job I applied to. Noticed a metal music stand was in the background looking awkward and needed to be moved. Went over, grabbed it and got shocked - apparently it was touching a floor lamp and blew the bulb in it which really sucks because it was a Phillips Hue bulb I bought a few years ago and I think it's dead. Those things weren't cheap!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

gbruin
MEGLADONG

But really, how was the video response, Mrs Lincoln?

Post by gbruin »

So by metal music stand, you mean like Ride The Lightning metal kind of music stand. 5/5 horns up for that one.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

Joella is having surgery on Monday. My boss is in florida until March 4th and has been since January 2. So I have been running my boss' business for the last month and a half and will be running it until she returns, all while taking 6 writing intensive courses and trying to help care for my mother.

I asked my boss if I could have off on Tuesday, the day after Joella's surgery. I told her I would find coverage but that I really just needed to be home to care for joella. Really the day is a recharge for both me and her because we are both burning at both ends at the moment. Money has never been so tight and Joella will be out of work until the first week in June at the earliest (unless she heals faster than the doctor expects).

My boss basically told me to go screw myself because I said I would go in Monday while the store is closed to set up for Tuesday morning's opener since they can't get there until right before we open. So I'm on the verge of telling my boss off, which is always fun.

My boss' mother also popped into the business the other day and told my boss that I wasn't doing my job effectively enough and that the place was messy, when in all actuality there were a few empty cardboard boxes upstairs in the storage room because the garbage guys couldn't come empty our recycling bin because of the 3+ feet of snow we had plowed in front of it. I told my boss to call the plow guys and she never did, so we had to shovel that snow and it really was basically ice at this point and I only have one arm that works right anymore so it took me some time.

My boss proceeded to leave me a note of all the stuff she said I haven't been doing, even though she hasn't been in her business since before the new year, and told me that she gets i'm overwhelmed in my personal life, but that shouldn't effect her. Then goes "step it up, bobby. Oh by the way, how's your mom? Tell her I'm wishing her the best". I have never been so personally offended by anything in my life. Who the heck are you to bring up my mom to me?

Trying to survive in the world during this pandemic is really taking a toll on me. My mind is in some really dark places and I really feel like I'm drowning. I genuinely don't know what more I can do to survive right now. I'm a religious man, and I pray every day but lately I feel like I haven't been getting any help. I am just lost right now I guess.

I'm sorry to just throw all this out there, but I just needed to get some of this off my chest.
Thanks Andy!