What grinds your gears?

Talk about anything and everything here.
Micky
On The Rail

Re: What grinds your gears?

Post by Micky »

Virtual learning. I absolutely hate it.

My college class on Thursdays is online only from 5PM-745PM. My professors internet keeps going in and out and we can't hear him well and he doesnt seem to care because we keep telling him and he just keeps going and going. I feel like no matter what, I end up teaching myself the material in an online class anyway. It's just really bothersome.
Thanks Andy!

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Nice sig. Thanks Andy!

Post by zazthespaz »

Micky wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:58 pm Virtual learning. I absolutely hate it.

My college class on Thursdays is online only from 5PM-745PM. My professors internet keeps going in and out and we can't hear him well and he doesnt seem to care because we keep telling him and he just keeps going and going. I feel like no matter what, I end up teaching myself the material in an online class anyway. It's just really bothersome.
Pretty much how I've been doing it because teachers aren't prepared/have the resources to teach online! I personally prefer it, but I can see where others such as yourself would hate it. Pay me $100 per chapter and I'll teach it to you.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Online classes is what made me leave my job at a private school and university, it's just undoable. And it's not that professors don't have the skills/resources, it's just not how it's supposed to be. Teaching has to be done in person when you're always in direct contact with the students. You know then that they are physically there and not going to the bathroom, scrolling Instagram or whatever.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: So many YouTube personalities are better teachers than my profs.

Post by zazthespaz »

I think if college professors are expected to keep an eye on whether students are on their phones or not, then we’re wasting professor’s time. If students are willing to pay thousands of dollars on an education and waste that time not paying attention to the lectures, then that should be on them. As a paying student, I’m not paying money to watch a professor tell a student to get off their phone, so I don’t think that should be in a professor’s scope of work.
What they should be doing is leading an engaging class that encourages learning and participation and a lot of them have that mastered in person, but not for online teaching. The way the world is moving, I think online education is going to become more prevalent and important so in order for it to succeed, professors need to know how to operate in that realm and have the resources (I.e., modern laptop, high speed internet) and skills (basic technology training, education in engaging large groups online) to make it work. Teachers can be just as good online, they just aren’t used to it and don’t know how to perform there yet.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Have you ever taught in class? Not trying to be snappy, just asking because it sounds like you're not really aware of the current state of education and how today's youth is like in school.
In Poland we've got free education unless you're doing extramural studies so courses at all the public schools and universities are free of charge. At the private school where I used to teach, people obviously pay for the course but very often you get children/adolescents who personally don't want to be there, it's just their parents who's paid for the course and expect them to take part.
It's getting increasingly harder to lead a captivating class in the world where the attention span of a typical child is like 10 seconds (if a task is 5 seconds longer than a TikTok video, they're lost). Of course you have a lot of older teachers that find it difficult to catch up with the technology but nobody put that in their contract, they were supposed to do everything in class face-to-face and now you've got 60-year old biology professors who are forced to learn how to use Zoom or MS Teams, hardly having any experience of computers at all.
If somebody does choose to take part in a online course where all the terms and conditions are known, then of course - the teacher needs to learn the ropes.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Am I a communist?!

Post by zazthespaz »

Sorry, forgot about the language differences - "professor" in the US usually refers only to college professors. I was talking about just the college/university level where students are choosing to be (thus it's on them to pay attention). I am currently enrolled in a master's program so I've seen what professors and other students are doing and am speaking from first hand experience on where I think the room for improvement lies.
Mandatory education (for anyone 18 and under) is a different story. My mom, sister, former roommate, and multiple friends and relatives are teachers at that level and I agree that teaching for them is a much different story. My mom teaches kindergarten and when her students were remote, it was hell and the students are much worse off as a result. That being said, there's always the risk that online teaching will be a requirement again in the future, so I think it is good to educate those teachers on best practices for online classrooms and provide them with resources that enable that as best as possible.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Am I a communist?!

Post by MaraCarr »

zazthespaz wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:04 pm Sorry, forgot about the language differences - "professor" in the US usually refers only to college professors. I was talking about just the college/university level where students are choosing to be (thus it's on them to pay attention). I am currently enrolled in a master's program so I've seen what professors and other students are doing and am speaking from first hand experience on where I think the room for improvement lies.
Mandatory education (for anyone 18 and under) is a different story. My mom, sister, former roommate, and multiple friends and relatives are teachers at that level and I agree that teaching for them is a much different story. My mom teaches kindergarten and when her students were remote, it was hell and the students are much worse off as a result. That being said, there's always the risk that online teaching will be a requirement again in the future, so I think it is good to educate those teachers on best practices for online classrooms and provide them with resources that enable that as best as possible.
Nice! Congratulations on the Master’s program. I am also in a Master’s program and it is online as well! It’s in Nursing Informatics so I like the online atmosphere! Although teaching in person and online differs a lot…and I understand the dynamics because I’ve experienced both sides. I agree that education should be expanded to the online platform as well and teachers should be provided with support and education on both sides!

I personally love the online atmosphere because it allows me to work full time and balance family life with school!

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Gotta leave early today boss, have to be in NJ for my Tuesday class.

Post by zazthespaz »

MaraCarr wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:31 pm
zazthespaz wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:04 pm Sorry, forgot about the language differences - "professor" in the US usually refers only to college professors. I was talking about just the college/university level where students are choosing to be (thus it's on them to pay attention). I am currently enrolled in a master's program so I've seen what professors and other students are doing and am speaking from first hand experience on where I think the room for improvement lies.
Nice! Congratulations on the Master’s program. I am also in a Master’s program and it is online as well! It’s in Nursing Informatics so I like the online atmosphere! Although teaching in person and online differs a lot…and I understand the dynamics because I’ve experienced both sides. I agree that education should be expanded to the online platform as well and teachers should be provided with support and education on both sides!

I personally love the online atmosphere because it allows me to work full time and balance family life with school!
Thanks! And congrats to you too! I can't imagine going for another degree while nursing in the middle of a pandemic! Good luck!

I agree on the online education allowing for work/family/school balance. It also opens up the options for education choices so you're not restricted to schools in your geographic area. I'm sure getting a Master's in your field of work as you travel around the country would be impossible if you had to do in-person education.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

You know what grinds my gears? The slow death prattle of this forum. I know social media sort of did away with forums in general, but man... there used to be such a sense of community here. Topics are nicely spaced out and segmented and organized, you can find things without wading through 546 shitposts and memes. Nowadays there are but a handful of us who ever look at it - the mods (aside from zaz) don't even post anymore. I try to pop in from time to time, but especially in the main AB and related bands forums, there's hardly any activity. This place was my baby, I loved it, I helped nurture and build this site for years, and now it's a dusty old ghost town. We need to bring it back.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: When do we declare Facebook equally bad to health as smoking?

Post by zazthespaz »

TenaciousBe wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:42 am I know social media sort of did away with forums in general, but man... there used to be such a sense of community here. Topics are nicely spaced out and segmented and organized, you can find things without wading through 546 shitposts and memes.
That's the part I don't get. Facebook used to have threads for conversations in groups, but as far as I can tell it doesn't anymore, which leads to repeat questions and topics constantly getting posted which annoys the hell out of me; but I guess the repeat questions are the point for a business that makes money off of number of engagements. It obviously works for some people, but I enjoy having fixed locations where information can be easily found and accessed and being able to view conversation histories. I tried making a couple posts from the TABN Facebook encouraging people to create accounts here and engage in conversations, but I didn't notice any new members joining as a result of those few posts (although they did reach a good number of people). The convenience of Facebook is too damn high!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

People use Facebook as a place for conversation? Nowadays, I've been using Discord for that. I follow a hockey podcast and they have a discord channel that has more than 10k people and there's a buttload of stuff to talk about there from sports to video games to other stuff and it's a fun place that's pretty well-moderated.

On a side note, I really do need to get into the AB Nation discord. Sorry guys.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Especially when changing Shea's nickname.

Post by zazthespaz »

Hadn't considered Discord being another replacement; makes more sense than Facebook in my opinion - still endless streams of communication but at least the conversations are segmented into topics. For posting back and forth like this, I like the forum better, if I want a more immediate conversation though, I would give Discord the advantage.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

zazthespaz wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:05 pm
TenaciousBe wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:42 am I know social media sort of did away with forums in general, but man... there used to be such a sense of community here. Topics are nicely spaced out and segmented and organized, you can find things without wading through 546 shitposts and memes.
That's the part I don't get. Facebook used to have threads for conversations in groups, but as far as I can tell it doesn't anymore, which leads to repeat questions and topics constantly getting posted which annoys the hell out of me; but I guess the repeat questions are the point for a business that makes money off of number of engagements. It obviously works for some people, but I enjoy having fixed locations where information can be easily found and accessed and being able to view conversation histories. I tried making a couple posts from the TABN Facebook encouraging people to create accounts here and engage in conversations, but I didn't notice any new members joining as a result of those few posts (although they did reach a good number of people). The convenience of Facebook is too damn high!
As far as I've seen, there's still the option to "reply" under individual comments, so things can sort of get threaded out from one comment if people do it right. Trouble is, not everyone is as tech savvy as you or I, and they don't "reply" to the right comment, thus derailing the thread integrity. Still not as organized as these forums though.

TheLastHero
Bought The CDs

Post by TheLastHero »

TenaciousBe wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:36 am
As far as I've seen, there's still the option to "reply" under individual comments, so things can sort of get threaded out from one comment if people do it right. Trouble is, not everyone is as tech savvy as you or I, and they don't "reply" to the right comment, thus derailing the thread integrity. Still not as organized as these forums though.
I think all social media should fall under the "bad for health" category. There's so much toxicity out there that it's almost impossible to avoid nowadays.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

TheLastHero wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:55 am
TenaciousBe wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:36 am
I think all social media should fall under the "bad for health" category. There's so much toxicity out there that it's almost impossible to avoid nowadays.
See, I see this, but then I also look at Facebook and see the one place where I get to keep up with my old friends who have moved away, family members who live all over the country (and the world!), music fans like all these AB people I haven't gotten to meet up with in person, and even interacting with celebrities and musicians that I never would have gotten to otherwise. There's crap to wade through, but I feel like social media is only as bad or good as you make it. :)

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

TenaciousBe wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:23 pm There's crap to wade through, but I feel like social media is only as bad or good as you make it. :)
I think you're spot on. Although I do wish Facebook, Twitter etc could be broken up and scattered to the wind. We've given up too much power to these companies.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

industry, alcohol, and the internet

Post by gbruin »

I've often said that social media (and the internet as a whole) is simultaneously the best thing and the worst thing in the world. It's a shame we can't have the good without the bad, but that's more of a human problem and not a social media problem. Social media has just multiplied the underlying issue times about a billion.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Gotta leave early today boss, have to be in NJ for my Tuesday class.

Post by MaraCarr »

zazthespaz wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:15 pm
MaraCarr wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:31 pm

Thanks! And congrats to you too! I can't imagine going for another degree while nursing in the middle of a pandemic! Good luck!

I agree on the online education allowing for work/family/school balance. It also opens up the options for education choices so you're not restricted to schools in your geographic area. I'm sure getting a Master's in your field of work as you travel around the country would be impossible if you had to do in-person education.
Yes... I worked a Covid shift on my last assignment...then I got sick...then I had knee problems and had to have surgery, I was writing papers while prepping for surgery, every time a member from the surgeons team would come in, I had to put my paper aside... I made a 100 % on that lovely piece of artistic expression. :) You are right...It is not easy, but I love to write so the APA papers every week come easily to me. I am also very good at preparing PowerPoint presentations, they don't suck! :hug They are creatively artistic with some witty humor placed perfectly in the right spot. :peace It is so nice to feel good again...I have been very sick.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: industry, alcohol, and the internet

Post by MaraCarr »

gbruin wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:03 am I've often said that social media (and the internet as a whole) is simultaneously the best thing and the worst thing in the world. It's a shame we can't have the good without the bad, but that's more of a human problem and not a social media problem. Social media has just multiplied the underlying issue times about a billion.
Hey there! hope you are doing well! :cheers

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Capitalism, but only for some

Post by gbruin »

MaraCarr wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:05 am
gbruin wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:03 am I've often said that social media (and the internet as a whole) is simultaneously the best thing and the worst thing in the world. It's a shame we can't have the good without the bad, but that's more of a human problem and not a social media problem. Social media has just multiplied the underlying issue times about a billion.
Hey there! hope you are doing well! :cheers
Hey there back! Still waiting for you to take that travel assignment in CO! Especially before Congress caps travel RN pay...(FFFFFUUUUUCCCCCKKKKK YYYOOOUUUU HHOOSSSPPPIIITTTAAALLLL IIINNNDDDUUUSSSTTTRRRYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!)
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die