What grinds your gears?

Talk about anything and everything here.
Lotha
Colloquial

Re: What grinds your gears?

Post by Lotha »

One Drew Remains wrote:Adult bullying. 40 year old men who think it's still sophomore year.

Last night we're at a Dwight Yoakam show, and halfway through his set, these two guys two rows in front of me started throwing their empty beer bottles at a guy who was obviously there by himself.

I watched it three times, when he went to throw the fourth, I grabbed it from him, got eye to eye and asked him if he'd like to get kicked out of the show with me. You should have seen how big this guy's eyes got.

Long story short, they didn't throw anymore. And him and his buddy left like 3 songs early. Reminds me exactly of early high school days. Only, the other guys wear golf shirts now, lol.
Fucking idiots. I love how you stood up to them!
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Lotha wrote:Is adulting always this way? Obstacle after obstacle after obstacle.
Been feeling like crap the whole month, physically, and now on top of everything I have a cold, fever, headache, blah blah the whole deal.
Fallen behind with my writing schedule, so book delayed once again.
Gahhhhhh I'm so tired I literally can't catch a break.
Feel better, Jana. I don't think adulting is always that way. I think adulting is pushing through those moments so you can enjoy the good moments afterwards. Like going to Mars (which I heard is not stressful at all!)

Yay Drew!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Timotheus wrote: Feel better, Jana. I don't think adulting is always that way. I think adulting is pushing through those moments so you can enjoy the good moments afterwards. Like going to Mars (which I heard is not stressful at all!)
Thanks, TimTim. I pushed through yesterday and feeling better today. Might have something for you to read soon. :D

Tigra
Isolated

Post by Tigra »

Lotha wrote:
Tigra wrote:Lotha, any holidays ahead?
Sick leave?
A space shuttle travel to the Mars? I'm preparing one so feel invited to join.
I'm self-employed and also very hard on myself which often makes the situation harder. :D I may have to take you up on that offer.
From what I know about self-employment, you have the worst boss ever. Requires work and answering phone calls 24/7, no holidays, no sick leave, no free time but a lot of bullying and harassment. Am I right? :D

But I felt intrigued about the book you mention. Will you let me in the secret? ;)

One Drew, you were lucky it all ended this way... They could have waited for you somewhere outside... Daredevil!

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Tigra wrote:
Lotha wrote:
Tigra wrote:Lotha, any holidays ahead?
Sick leave?
A space shuttle travel to the Mars? I'm preparing one so feel invited to join.
I'm self-employed and also very hard on myself which often makes the situation harder. :D I may have to take you up on that offer.
From what I know about self-employment, you have the worst boss ever. Requires work and answering phone calls 24/7, no holidays, no sick leave, no free time but a lot of bullying and harassment. Am I right? :D

But I felt intrigued about the book you mention. Will you let me in the secret? ;)
Pretty much spot on :D I don't remember ever having less free time that isn't somehow connected to my work. Even back in college during exam season I still found time to do other things.

I'm getting ready to self-publish a fantasy book via Amazon.... that will, hopefully, grow to a trilogy, or a series, not sure yet. Basically I'm on a quest to make fiction writing a viable career. (Every single dime I earned in my life was by writing, though I was a freelance writer before. But fantasy is where my true love lies.)

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Is that gonna be like one of those Kindle books for a few bucks?

There are some pretty funny ones out there

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Fifty shades of hay.

Yay Jana! Really looking forward to it :D
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Thanks for the reminder, asshole

Post by zazthespaz »

Timotheus wrote:Fifty shades of hay.
:lol flashback to the @midnight thread :lol :mope
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Hahahah, I saw that one before, just can't remember where.
Honestly just venture into the "shifters" category and you'll probably see even funnier stuff. People are getting ridiculous with those.

Yeah, one of the Kindle books for a few bucks. :D

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

The price of a Nintendo Switch. When it came out, it was $300. Now, I can't find a Switch Bundle for less than 450 anywhere.

Tigra
Isolated

Post by Tigra »

Lotha, oh my, I am stunned, I mean, that’s amazing news!

Fantasy used to be my favourite genre of books back in the days... My MA thesis was about king Arthur :-) Yeah, good ol’ days…
My all-time hit is the Witcher Saga, I believe somebody mentioned here that s/he played the game. The original books are a masterpiece. I read them for the first time when I was 15-16 and they turned my world upside down. Since then I've read them so many times that now I know them by heart :D I don't know how they work in translation but I do hope the translator did his/her job.

But honestly speaking, it seems a really hard genre to write… It’s not enough just to dress the protagonists in medieval clothes, add kings, dragons and sorcerers – this is just a disguise for something more. Not easy to grasp it.

So I'll keep my fingers crossed and really hope you can make a living on that! You know, autographs, meetings with readers, public reading, selling rights to a game-making company and finally to Hollywood! :D

Ok, to stick to the topic: it grinds my gears that now I feel lucky if I manage to read three pages before I fall asleep.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Just wait. Zelda is still the only game worth playing on it. It's an amazing game...but I wouldn't pay the resellers $450. I was lucky to get one for $300 and it's worth picking up for that if you ever find one at that price.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Tigra wrote:My MA thesis was about king Arthur :-)
I heard that King Arthur was kinda like an old school superhero and it wasn't until a French (I think) writer got involved decades / centuries later that Lancelot porked the Queen, betraying Arthur. The person that said this said it was immensely frustrating because it stuck to the story throughout time after that and Arthur transitioned from badass wise warrior to cuckold while Lancelot became the new effective soldier. They dropped in something about how they felt it was ironic that a French writer did this, like it was a FU based on societal international grudges at the time. I may have butchered relaying a bunch of that, but I can't find the original post, just thought it was interesting.

TTournier
White Knuckled

Post by TTournier »

gbruin wrote:I should clarify - by "management" I don't specifically mean Tim or any one person. I just mean exactly what you refer to at the end of your comment. Why can't things just go smoothly for these guys? There's always something....the record label changes, singles that went nowhere, videos that didn't get made, social media snafus, recorded concerts that were never released, the interference by other bands/projects, the box set fiasco, the lack of radio airplay, old songs being held hostage. It's crazy that these guys are still taking two steps forward and sliding one step back. They deserve better.

Well - I am AB's Manager.. so I guess Ill reply to this. ( i am back bitches..)

Mark let something slip out that shouldn't have been said yet and it upset the promoters because when you do festivals (like the ones we are playing in a few days) you have announcement restrictions. its business... We were told this interview wasn't going to come out until after our official announcement - long lead press stuff, but it got out. I had to kill it... sorry not sorry.

Record label changes - This all happened before my time but its actually good to change your label.. fresh eyes on the project - new ways to market. its always a gamble - for sure - yet you have to take chances / make movements to grow. Everyone complains that we aren't growing - well, ya can't do the same action and expect a different reaction.

Singles -
AB records has to pay for our own radio. I know a lot of folks think they know how it works BUT they don't. :)
a top ten single cost $120,000 cash up front - minimum.
Pappa Roach... Seether.... Pretty Reckless had number 1 singles for weeks... spent hundreds of thousands of dollars. The albums came out and sold the lower numbers than our first week sales.. Its plan to only spend "X" amount at radio, its called an awareness track - push ticket sales and let the fan base to grow by touring more (which you have to admit, this has been the most touring they have ever done - and we aint done yet!) and with different kinds of acts. IE Gojira / Volbeat / In Flames / Non Point / Disturbed / Breaking Benjamin.
Moral of the story - radio doesn't mean album sales, doesn't even mean ticket sales these days.

Videos -
Not sure what you mean there...

Socials -
What Snafus? If thats at me personally, I am pretty passive but take no shit from man, woman or beast.. If i put someone on blast - its because they have done some shady shit behind the scenes... Got to trust me on that (or just spokeo said person to see their arrest record..) Trust me, i don't like having to be "The bad guy".

Shows recorded but not releases:
I record every show - not everything is meant for the public, somethings are for the guys... got to respect that.
If you mean the Milan dvd, I can't go into detail much more than this - If you could see what the band signed up for vs what happened - you would understand. I have heard both sides of THAT story - I personally believe the band.

Box Set:
Same as above.... The guys feel really bad about it but it was out of their hands.. before my time but from what I have seen - I think you all know what happened there as well.

Other bands:
Distance makes the heart grow fonder.

Songs Held Hostage:
Just today we launched the presale for the Rarities - which has everything the guys own / ever recorded that was a "B-side" on it.
*Just a note - sometimes you write a song, record it, the whole 9 yards but it just doesn't "fit" the album. Got to respect the guys choices on that.. But again - now all of those songs are out there for the world to see.

I also feel the guys deserve better, thus we are changing the way we do our business!

Hope this helped and answered some of your questions.

Good to be back.
Tim

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

TTournier wrote:
gbruin wrote:I should clarify - by "management" I don't specifically mean Tim or any one person. I just mean exactly what you refer to at the end of your comment. Why can't things just go smoothly for these guys? There's always something....the record label changes, singles that went nowhere, videos that didn't get made, social media snafus, recorded concerts that were never released, the interference by other bands/projects, the box set fiasco, the lack of radio airplay, old songs being held hostage. It's crazy that these guys are still taking two steps forward and sliding one step back. They deserve better.

Well - I am AB's Manager.. so I guess Ill reply to this. ( i am back bitches..)

Mark let something slip out that shouldn't have been said yet and it upset the promoters because when you do festivals (like the ones we are playing in a few days) you have announcement restrictions. its business... We were told this interview wasn't going to come out until after our official announcement - long lead press stuff, but it got out. I had to kill it... sorry not sorry.

Record label changes - This all happened before my time but its actually good to change your label.. fresh eyes on the project - new ways to market. its always a gamble - for sure - yet you have to take chances / make movements to grow. Everyone complains that we aren't growing - well, ya can't do the same action and expect a different reaction.

Singles -
AB records has to pay for our own radio. I know a lot of folks think they know how it works BUT they don't. :)
Pappa Roach... Seether.... Pretty Reckless had number 1 singles for weeks... spent hundreds of thousands of dollars. The albums came out and sold the lower numbers than our first week sales.. Its plan to only spend "X" amount at radio, its called an awareness track - push ticket sales and let the fan base to grow by touring more (which you have to admit, this has been the most touring they have ever done - and we aint done yet!) and with different kinds of acts. IE Gojira / Volbeat / In Flames / Non Point / Disturbed / Breaking Benjamin.
Moral of the story - radio doesn't mean album sales, doesn't even mean ticket sales these days.

Videos -
Not sure what you mean there...

Socials -
What Snafus? If thats at me personally, I am pretty passive but take no shit from man, woman or beast.. If i put someone on blast - its because they have done some shady shit behind the scenes... Got to trust me on that (or just spokeo said person to see their arrest record..) Trust me, i don't like having to be "The bad guy".

Shows recorded but not releases:
I record every show - not everything is meant for the public, somethings are for the guys... got to respect that.
If you mean the Milan dvd, I can't go into detail much more than this - If you could see what the band signed up for vs what happened - you would understand. I have heard both sides of THAT story - I personally believe the band.

Box Set:
Same as above.... The guys feel really bad about it but it was out of their hands.. before my time but from what I have seen - I think you all know what happened there as well.

Other bands:
Distance makes the heart grow fonder.

Songs Held Hostage:
Just today we launched the presale for the Rarities - which has everything the guys own / ever recorded that was a "B-side" on it.
*Just a note - sometimes you write a song, record it, the whole 9 yards but it just doesn't "fit" the album. Got to respect the guys choices on that.. But again - now all of those songs are out there for the world to see.

I also feel the guys deserve better, thus we are changing the way we do our business!

Hope this helped and answered some of your questions.

Good to be back.
Tim
Hey Tim! Remember last October I asked about Solace in Nasvhille!?! Great to finally get a chance to listen to it!... So the thing that Mark mentioned won't happen now?

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Tigra wrote:Fantasy used to be my favourite genre of books back in the days... My MA thesis was about king Arthur :-) Yeah, good ol’ days…
I'm reading The Once and Future King by Terrence White right now!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

TTournier wrote: Singles -
Where does that money go? Is that the cumulative amount that gets disseminated to each radio station (prob not) or does it go to the entity that makes the top 40 list or what?

Hadn't heard about the rarities release before your post, fantastic news.

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

Obviously payola. :lol

Tigra
Isolated

Post by Tigra »

Timotheus wrote:I'm reading The Once and Future King by Terrence White right now!
Good choice, unfortunately only from what I heard. I haven't had any occasion to read that piece and I regret that a lot. Maybe I'll put it on my reading list for this summer ;)
Will you share your impressions?

Tigra
Isolated

Post by Tigra »

Fish Tacos wrote:
Tigra wrote:My MA thesis was about king Arthur :-)
I heard that King Arthur was kinda like an old school superhero and it wasn't until a French (I think) writer got involved decades / centuries later that Lancelot porked the Queen, betraying Arthur. The person that said this said it was immensely frustrating because it stuck to the story throughout time after that and Arthur transitioned from badass wise warrior to cuckold while Lancelot became the new effective soldier. They dropped in something about how they felt it was ironic that a French writer did this, like it was a FU based on societal international grudges at the time. I may have butchered relaying a bunch of that, but I can't find the original post, just thought it was interesting.
Well, technically you are more less right, provided that you assume that Arthur was a real person which is highly doubtful. There are "legends" about Arthur and not realistic accounts so they incorporate some real elements wrapped up in an attractive, appealing story.

Tu cut the long story short, yes, Arthur originally was a Celtic warrior, then he was exported to France (where bards used him and his company as a basis for creating romances) and then came back to the British Islands. Each of the authors used the figure as a starting point for their own artistic expression/for political purposes/etc.

Arthur (or any other Celtic warrior who managed to unite the Celtic tribes and defeat Saxons invading the Isles) is believed to be living around 5th century AC and he was mentioned for the first time AFAIR about 7th-8th century so 200 years of no written record, you can how it distorted the original figure.

Ok, tell me to stop :facepalm