What grinds your gears?

Talk about anything and everything here.
zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: lol, "Sonic running"

Post by zazthespaz »

My mom's a teacher and apparently students think my mom wants gift cards to Sonic restaurant (drive-in & park fast food for all you foreigners). My mom does not. So I decided to use those gift cards for lunch today and grabbed 2 $10 gift cards. Get to Sonic and they say they can only accept 1 gift card per order. Pretty stupid rule IMO, 1 didn't even cover my order for myself, so I gave the gift card and a $20 to cover the remaining $3.30. I get my money back and realize I only got the $16 and not the remaining 70 cents. Not a big deal, I'm not penny pinching and just got $10 of food for free, but what kind of rip off is Sonic running where they don't accept 2 gift cards and don't give change back?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: What grinds your gears?

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Been getting trained to become a Dairy Manager at my work and its becoming increasingly stressful and intimidating and Im questioning why I ever agreed to the possibility of becoming one during my hiring interview. Way too much responsibility for too little of a pay increase. There's like 8 different suppliers for the dairy and its hard to keep track of what days I order from which company and what days they deliver and trying to estimate how much product to order days in advance is annoying.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:44 pm Been getting trained to become a Dairy Manager at my work and its becoming increasingly stressful and intimidating and Im questioning why I ever agreed to the possibility of becoming one during my hiring interview. Way too much responsibility for too little of a pay increase. There's like 8 different suppliers for the dairy and its hard to keep track of what days I order from which company and what days they deliver and trying to estimate how much product to order days in advance is annoying.
Good for the ol' CV though, I suppose?

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Dan Dando wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:05 pm
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:44 pm Been getting trained to become a Dairy Manager at my work and its becoming increasingly stressful and intimidating and Im questioning why I ever agreed to the possibility of becoming one during my hiring interview. Way too much responsibility for too little of a pay increase. There's like 8 different suppliers for the dairy and its hard to keep track of what days I order from which company and what days they deliver and trying to estimate how much product to order days in advance is annoying.
I had to google what you meant :lol Yeah I suppose so if I keep wanting to pursue careers in retail :shrug :lol

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: (document of stuff I did)

Post by zazthespaz »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:09 pm
Dan Dando wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:05 pm
I had to google what you meant :lol Yeah I suppose so if I keep wanting to pursue careers in retail :shrug :lol
Not necessarily, if you pursue other careers, they’ll see you as someone who’s willing to take on responsibility and leadership because of this. Even if it’s not a field you want to stay in, any type of advancement looks good on a resume (cv)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Having episodes of Obi-Wan Kenobi SPOILED!!!

Hey YouTube, don't recommend these videos to me, how about that? Or at least wait a couple days, good lord...

No matter - the spoilers I saw for this last episode are fucking awesome, but still I would have rather been surprised.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: FYI he definitely dies sometime after this series ends.

Post by zazthespaz »

AB4Lyfe wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:22 pm Having episodes of Obi-Wan Kenobi SPOILED!!!

Hey YouTube, don't recommend these videos to me, how about that? Or at least wait a couple days, good lord...

No matter - the spoilers I saw for this last episode are fucking awesome, but still I would have rather been surprised.
Stranger Things posted a picture to Facebook that was a spoiler of sorts. What they showed happens in episode 3 I think, but I hadn't gotten there yet when I saw it so it was annoying knowing what was coming. I sympathize with you Duane, and thanks for the heads up to avoid looking at Youtube previews for Obi Wan.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

More websites need to work on spoiler policies. I’ve found Reddit to be pretty good at requiring spoiler tags for the most part, but they also have forum moderators there. YouTube thumbnails and Twitter trends are pretty notoriously bad for spoilers though.

It gets worse though when it’s like, the official social media account of the show posting it in the same day it releases lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

US politics is just very messed up. I usually think we have it bad over here but yikes.
For all of the hope that it brings...

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Ubik wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:48 am US is just very messed up.
fify :(
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

I hate being political on this board. But some thoughts just do not get out of my mind.
The allies gave so much to Germany after WWII. The American values influenced Germany quite heavily. Of course, now we can talk about propaganda and stuff, but I believe that many American values which were provided throughout the past decades were really important and, well, "correct".
Thus, I'm quite concerned about the developments over there. Giving extremist views more and more space America alienates from their own principles. Ironically, the same day the USA made abortions a crime equal to first degree murder, Germany got rid of paragraph 219a, which prohibited the advertising of abortions.

The American society is weak, seperated into two extremes. To be honest, I don't really know anymore what distinguishes the USA from the "bad guys" like Afghanistan or Iraq which the USA used to bomb. Both sides don't give a damn about women's rights, both sides are obsessed with extremist religious ideas, both sides enable gun violence within their own people.

I'm happy to live in Europe right now, despite the Ukraine war and the massive inflation we have to face due to our blindness towards Putin. Then again, I believe that the worst is yet to come. If the USA is weak then Europe will get weak as well.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Mr. Slash wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:24 pm and the massive inflation we have to face due to our blindness towards Putin.
Nothing to do with the massive amount of money that was printed during the Covid panic? Are we pretending that didn't happen? :headscratch

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Doh - double post.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Dan Dando wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:02 pm
Mr. Slash wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:24 pm and the massive inflation we have to face due to our blindness towards Putin.
Nothing to do with the massive amount of money that was printed during the Covid panic? Are we pretending that didn't happen? :headscratch
Not really no, at least not by far the largest majority of it. Most of current inflation is down to supply chain issues and the cost of oil, gas and food due to international tensions. Printing money most likely didn't help much but the extreme diminishment of the supply of goods despite the level amount of demand has caused this rise. The UK is especially suffering because of our diminished labour supply, most likely due to Brexit. Look at countries like Japan that likewise increased their money supply drastically during COVID but remained pretty inflation-proof because they do not experience the same level of supply/demand mismatch.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Crumbso wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:48 pmPrinting money most likely didn't help much
That's all I was after.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

gbruin wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:20 pm
Ubik wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:48 am US is just very messed up.
fify :(
I do worry about the US, my dad lives over in Florida and I just hope things pan out to not be too catastrophic. This week's news was also just very sad in general and, in my opinion, a backwards step. Having legal precedents withdrawn on a whim is a very dangerous and worrying development.

To say nothing of the international fallout if the USA loses its international influence drastically in the next 10 years. We're at a delicate point in world order stability in the world right now and things could go to hell in a handbasket very quickly if the USA becomes weak due to continuing internal struggles.

I hope my American friends can continue to live in a free country and some of these international tensions are resolved ASAP. Goodness knows I worry enough about my own country. The UK is basically a backsliding democracy at this point too.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Crumbso wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:54 pm To say nothing of the international fallout if the USA loses its international influence drastically in the next 10 years.
Crumbso wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:54 pm I hope my American friends can continue to live in a free country and some of these international tensions are resolved ASAP.
I assume you have the Russia/Ukraine issue in mind when you refer to international tensions? Well considering Russia's actions in Ukraine have come about in large part due to US/NATO provocation, maybe the US losing some of that "international influence" might be a good thing.

(PS - Not saying that Russia's actions in Ukraine are right, just that there has been provocation)
Crumbso wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:54 pm Goodness knows I worry enough about my own country. The UK is basically a backsliding democracy at this point too.
I'm not a fan of any of the major political parties we have over here. I feel we've been systematically failed by them, and I'd love to see them scrapped and replaced by new parties. That being said, I'm not sure what you mean by a backsliding democracy?
Last edited by Dan Dando on Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Double post again - sigh.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Dan Dando wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:11 pm I assume you have the Russia/Ukraine issue in mind when you refer to international tensions? Well considering Russia's actions in Ukraine have come about in large part due to US/NATO provocation, maybe the US losing some of that "international influence" might be a good thing.

(PS - Not saying that Russia's actions in Ukraine are right, just that there has been provocation)
I do not believe this at all. Russia has continually given reason for the countries that were once under the influence of the USSR to want and need protection since 1990. It's practically a Russian past time to insist that X or Y peoples are actually ethnic Russians and then use subterfuge to invade and annex parts of that country into puppet states with horrific human rights issues (See Georgia and Chechnya or previously Finland). It is no wonder at all that the countries in Eastern Europe wish to remain free after the horrific decades they spent under oppressive Russian rule. The provocations would have come regardless and the only way to remain free of the intimidations and corruption was to seek protection from elsewhere. My goodness, Putin started a war immediately upon coming to power.

I honestly believe that these larger supra-national organisations like NATO and the EU are one of the only reasons why my part of the world hasn't descended into war again since the end of the second world war. Our history prior to then was one of constant war between states. The sooner Russia realises it's outmatched and is forced to engage with the rest of Europe on equal terms, the better.

However, international tensions also refer to other countries, China and Iran both come to mind. Who will be around to keep China in check if the US loses influence or interest? Iran might be crazy enough to start some real trouble without the threat of a superpower breathing down their neck. You better believe that all of these scenarios will come back to bite the US if they don't maintain hegemony.
Dan Dando wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:11 pm I'm not a fan of any of the major political parties we have over here. I feel we've been systematically failed by them, and I'd love to see them scrapped and replaced by new parties. That being said, I'm not sure what you mean by a backsliding democracy?
I live in a country with an actual criminal in charge of our government, who by all rights should have resigned after being fined by the police and who broke the ministerial code after lying, who's government tried to change the rules regarding bribery when caught being bribed, who's government is threatening to break both international law AND an international agreement that they themselves negotiated, who lied to our head of state in order to illegally shut down the government in order to get his way. There are loads more examples but, we are backsliding because our instituations and conventions are being torn apart day by day and nobody wants them there anymore (the government is wildly unpopular).

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Crumbso wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:39 am I do not believe this at all.
I'm not alone in thinking this. There are many who feel the same way, but one person is worth mentioning - Robert Kagan. I assume you're aware of who he is and why it's significant that he feels that Russia has been provoked?

Even if you disagree with him, I do think Peter Hitchens is worth listening to on the Russia/Ukraine issue. He discusses it here with Owen Jones at the 35 minute mark.
Crumbso wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:39 amand nobody wants them there anymore (the government is wildly unpopular)
And those who don't like the government will eventually get the chance to vote them out. That sounds like democracy to me.