What grinds your gears?

Talk about anything and everything here.
TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Re: What grinds your gears?

Post by TenaciousBe »

gbruin wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:03 am Boulder... :no

I'm exhausted by this stuff.
I'm so sorry, Greg. I'm exhausted too, and I'm so tired of having the same tired old arguments with the same ammosexual gun nuts every time one of these happens. Atlanta, Boulder... it's just so stupid and senseless.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: I'm not on my phone, otherwise I'd post the emoji.

Post by zazthespaz »

Been working on a group project for 3+ months for school. About 2 months ago, I posted an outline of what I was going to do in my section, nobody had any comments/suggestions for change so I fleshed it out and posted it to the group paper 2 weeks ago. 3 days ago, a group members says he thinks one of my ideas isn't good (selling a healthy product in McDonald's). I stated that was one of my ideas in my outline 2 months ago, it's been in my paper for the past 2 weeks, but he's telling me now that I should change it, 9 days before the paper is due? No, I'm good. You had your opportunity to say it was a bad idea months ago and I've given enough supporting evidence that proves it's a viable idea. :middlefingeremoji
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: turned on my phone just for you.

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

zazthespaz wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:09 pm Been working on a group project for 3+ months for school. About 2 months ago, I posted an outline of what I was going to do in my section, nobody had any comments/suggestions for change so I fleshed it out and posted it to the group paper 2 weeks ago. 3 days ago, a group members says he thinks one of my ideas isn't good (selling a healthy product in McDonald's). I stated that was one of my ideas in my outline 2 months ago, it's been in my paper for the past 2 weeks, but he's telling me now that I should change it, 9 days before the paper is due? No, I'm good. You had your opportunity to say it was a bad idea months ago and I've given enough supporting evidence that proves it's a viable idea. :middlefingeremoji
I'll post it for you, zaz. 😀

🖕

Having anti-vax, conspiracy theorist, weird af parents grinds my gears. Im jealous of people who have good relationships with their parents cause I sure don't got one :lol :/

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: In my rebellious teen years, I went for 3 checkups a year.

Post by zazthespaz »

Thanks Shea! You do Canada proud on both accounts!

So did you get vaxxed?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: About to not do Canada proud...

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

zazthespaz wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:55 pm Thanks Shea! You do Canada proud on both accounts!

So did you get vaxxed?
Not yet. I havent done the research to see if there are any available vaccination areas nearby. My area still has the covid protocols in place and it's a small enough community with not a lot of visitors from the mainland (I assume) so I dont think there's much of a covid threat here as there would be in more densely populated areas of the mainland. So Im kind of just waiting out the virus and not leaving the house much except for trips to the store for groceries. Plus I've said it before but Im not willing to risk the drama of getting vaccinated while living in a household with two anti-vax conspiracy theorist parents who would be more annoying than they already are. :/ :shrug

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Sorry to hear that, Shea. That must be frustrating. Your parents sound more American than Canadian. ;)

But as annoying or misguided as they may be, as a parent, I can assure you that they love you very much. I hope that's some consolation.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

gbruin wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:20 am Sorry to hear that, Shea. That must be frustrating. Your parents sound more American than Canadian. ;)

But as annoying or misguided as they may be, as a parent, I can assure you that they love you very much. I hope that's some consolation.
Not much consolation unfortunately :/ :lol

I understand that we as individuals are entitled to our own personal viewpoints and opinions on basically anything and everything, and you're a better person for not harshly judging people for them or imposing your viewpoints on others, but it's sad to become numb to that kind of discussion when your parents whole conversational library is limited to that kind of stuff at the moment in time. I dont hear them talk about "normal" things nearly more than 10% of the time and it's just frustrating hearing them talk about all this stuff all the time. I try my best to just shut it out of my hearing/my mind and stay away from those conversations :/ But I guess to a point, their discussions are no different than someone like us talking ad nauseam about music or video games or whatever primary interests that consume our lives :shrug :/

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Reading about Zaz's school issues up there, reminds me of something that was grinding my gears a few days ago. I was talking with my wife about what our lives were like back around the time we finished high school - in my case, I had wanted to take some time off from school and just work for a year or two, get some life experience, and more importantly, save up some money since we were "live on the system" poor and the only spending money I'd have for school is whatever financial aid I'd get or what I could make from a part time job in between classes and schoolwork and such. That, and I didn't really have any particular career path / passion, and I wanted some time to figure out what I wanted to actually go and major in. Well, I got goaded into going right away the first year post-HS, mostly by a guidance counselor who basically said "well, if you don't go now, you'll never go" even though I had a plan in place in my head. Plus, one of my friends wanted me to come to school so we could be dorm roomies, so I finally just gave in and went. And since I was known as "the smart computer guy" for most of my school career (and for the timeline, freshman year of college was 98-99), I just went into Computer Science. Well, surprise surprise, I didn't do so well, I sucked at actually getting up and going to classes, and ended up failing out of my first year. Spent a couple years doing what I wanted to do in the first place and working full time, but then I looked into just going to a 2 year community college and trying to get a real career going from there. So I did, and that actually went pretty well. However, I kind of screwed up - by this point, early 2000s, I was getting really into music and following / supporting bands, and wanted to basically be someone who would run a band's website, so I went into web design. Timing wasn't good to me, though - a few years later, social media began to really take off and that's what I should have gone into, marketing/advertising. I wanted to be more of a content creator than a nuts-and-bolts HTML designer. Soooo.... I more or less wasted 2 years of free college, did nothing with that AA degree, and have been a factory worker ever since. Not that I didn't try to get a web design job after those 2 years, I applied to a few places, but (and this is one of those things that really grinds my gears) the "job placement" they promised at my school didn't do jack to help me actually find a job, they just kept pushing me to find a 4 year school and continue on with getting a 4 year degree. I still didn't have the money for that, and financial aid wouldn't have been enough if I didn't want to rack up huge student loan debt (and I didn't), so I just gave up on the whole thing.

I still think working as a social media person for a band (or a brand) would be my calling, but living in the middle of nowhere, Iowa, there aren't a ton of high paying social media jobs around here. And now I'm 41, married with 3 stepkids and my own daughter, and... life just is what it is, I guess. I mean, I love my family and this life, and I may not have found Lisa had it not been for the path I took (or didn't take), but it's just hard not to feel like I wasted so many opportunities over the years. On the plus side, I did follow one passion, playing music, and I've managed to sort of build a very small following for my one man acoustic cover band thing I do. I really enjoy that, it's just that it's gotten a lot harder since the daughter is now 3 and it's much harder to watch her / take her places than it was when she was a baby. But... I keep thinking it'll be easier again in a few years when she's a little more well behaved and such. I don't know. We'll see what life brings, I guess!

Damn, I didn't mean to write out this much, but I guess I just had to explain it all. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Turns out you don't need to be smart to teach!

Post by zazthespaz »

Syllabus said open-book exam was on chapters 1-3. 25% of the questions came from chapter 4. I hadn't read chapter 4 yet...

Pulled off a 94% anyway but it's pretty stupid that the professor let that slip.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: I also got a 94 because he curved everyone 30 percent.

Post by Andy92 »

zazthespaz wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:52 pm Syllabus said open-book exam was on chapters 1-3. 25% of the questions came from chapter 4. I hadn't read chapter 4 yet...

Pulled off a 94% anyway but it's pretty stupid that the professor let that slip.
I took an online class one time where all of the questions were based off a different book than the syllabus had lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: "I changed my major to 'architecture' since I already had the book."

Post by zazthespaz »

Andy92 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:31 pm
zazthespaz wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:52 pm Syllabus said open-book exam was on chapters 1-3. 25% of the questions came from chapter 4. I hadn't read chapter 4 yet...

I took an online class one time where all of the questions were based off a different book than the syllabus had lol
That's messed up. What happened there?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: Which may be good or bad in architecture depending on the structure.

Post by Andy92 »

zazthespaz wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:06 pm
Andy92 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:31 pm

That's messed up. What happened there?
A lot of curving…
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Oh hello SEO keyword tickle!

Post by zazthespaz »

Exam 2 covered 2 extra chapters than the syllabus indicated. Got 100%, but did a lot of searching through the book for the correct answers in the chapter I hadn't read yet. I prepared myself and read an extra chapter, turned out I needed to cover 2 extra :rolleyes It boggles my mind that these people are allowed to be educators when they can't even get a syllabus right. Are all Texas A&M schools this bad?!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

We're experiencing a heat wave right now with temperatures from 75°F and higher and yesterday it got up to over 100°F and this stretch of heat has got to be the most consecutive days of hottest temperatures Ive ever experienced in my life and I dont get how people in regions like Florida manage to exist when they get temperatures in these ranges all year round. :smashcomp

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

Over 75F is a heat wave? 75 feels like air conditioning to me!

I live in south Louisiana. In the summer, if you're going to be outside you just need to consign yourself to sweating like crazy, unless you're going to be in water. The heat gets annoying, but I figure that rarely having to deal with snow (much less catastrophic amounts of snow) is a bonus. I wouldn't really know however, as I've never lived further north than Baton Rouge.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: No idea if this works.

Post by zazthespaz »

I take it that air conditioning isn't prevalent in Canada? Put a cup of ice behind a fan and have the fan blow at you.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

I went to the Rockies a few years back and was surprised when the hotels at 9000 feet had no air conditioner. Then again, it was 75 degrees outside in the Summer, so I guess it makes sense.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

For my summer program towards my masters, I was assigned to write a lesson plan, which I had never done before.

I wrote one. Submitted it on time. Professor didn't like it and told me to revise it and submit it again the next day.

I revised it WITH the help of an English teacher friend of mine. Submitted it.

Professor said it needed more work and that it was too broad and lacked substance.

That english teacher friend of mine and I worked on it AGAIN and submitted it yesterday.

My professor gave me an 88 and said "I would've given you 100 but you submitted it late."

BRUH I HATE COLLEGE
Thanks Andy!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Bad teachers

Post by gbruin »

Man, that sucks, Micky. :facepalm :crazy
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Micky
On The Rail

Stupid teachers

Post by Micky »

gbruin wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:24 pm Man, that sucks, Micky. :facepalm :crazy
I had a phone call with him about the situation and he gave me some of the credit that he initially took off but said I should've "Done better from the start." Which, sure is a fair criticism, but having never written a lesson plan before, how would I know how to do that right away?
Thanks Andy!