The Fitness Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
User avatar
gbruin
MEGLADONG
Posts: 7283
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:27 pm
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO

Re: The Fitness Thread

Post by gbruin »

I replaced the belt on my treadmill yesterday which was kind of a fun project. With the quarantine, I've been riding my bike on my trainer on my back patio, but it's supposed to snow beginning tonight so it's nice to have more indoor options available. Looking forward to running and biking on the open roads again sometime.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

User avatar
Inconquerable
Rise Today
Posts: 3917
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:21 pm
Location: Shady Oak Dr.

Re: Curse these dancers' knees!

Post by Inconquerable »

Need to start getting back on the treadmill one of these days. It's collecting dust at this point. I have bad knees but I've got braces that help... Need to stop with these excuses. =#
Image

User avatar
gbruin
MEGLADONG
Posts: 7283
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:27 pm
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO

I love Trek, but any comfortably fit bike would be perfect!

Post by gbruin »

bad knees + need for exercise = ROAD BIKE!!!
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

MaraCarr
White Knuckled
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:12 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: Curse these dancers' knees!

Post by MaraCarr »

Inconquerable wrote:Need to start getting back on the treadmill one of these days. It's collecting dust at this point. I have bad knees but I've got braces that help... Need to stop with these excuses. =#
I use the Runkeeper app. It’s fun because you can connect with friends and see each other’s progress. It also tracks your runs or walks and displays them to everyone you are connected with. When I finish a run my daughter knows right away my stats because the app sends her a notification. It’s funny I will walk back in the house and she will come out of her room and say 4 miles.. good job mom.

I use the athletic tape it helps I also think that soon as I drop the weight running will get easier on my knees. If anyone wants to connect on the Runkeeper app it’s free and It’s fun to support each other.
Image

User avatar
Inconquerable
Rise Today
Posts: 3917
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:21 pm
Location: Shady Oak Dr.

Re: Gary Clark Jr is going to be my soundtrack tomorrow... assuming it happens.

Post by Inconquerable »

gbruin wrote:bad knees + need for exercise = ROAD BIKE!!!
Those purple Trek bikes are so niiiiiiice. Price tag isn't so nice but man they're sleek.
MaraCarr wrote:I use the Runkeeper app. It’s fun because you can connect with friends and see each other’s progress. It also tracks your runs or walks and displays them to everyone you are connected with. When I finish a run my daughter knows right away my stats because the app sends her a notification. It’s funny I will walk back in the house and she will come out of her room and say 4 miles.. good job mom.

I use the athletic tape it helps I also think that soon as I drop the weight running will get easier on my knees. If anyone wants to connect on the Runkeeper app it’s free and It’s fun to support each other.
This actually could be cool, everybody can keep each other accountable for their runs etc. I stopped using the incline on my treadmill years ago because I found that it hurt my knees more to have it on. Sucked because I enjoyed it but it wasn't worth the pain in my knees.
Image

User avatar
AB4Lyfe
Achilles
Posts: 5697
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:17 pm
Location: My 'Fortress' is in Seattle, WA

Re: I love Trek, but any comfortably fit bike would be perfect!

Post by AB4Lyfe »

gbruin wrote:bad knees + need for exercise = ROAD BIKE!!!
Don’t neglect those IT bands, brother. Stretch and foam roll.
Image

MaraCarr
White Knuckled
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:12 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: The Fitness Thread

Post by MaraCarr »

.
Last edited by MaraCarr on Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
gbruin
MEGLADONG
Posts: 7283
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:27 pm
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO

But today is weights and core...after another nap...and snacks...

Post by gbruin »

AB4Lyfe wrote:
gbruin wrote:bad knees + need for exercise = ROAD BIKE!!!
Don’t neglect those IT bands, brother. Stretch and foam roll.
Oh for sure. Mine are good. I just give that advice to anyone who has knee probs from all the pounding from running. I've been alternating between my bike on a trainer and the treadmill on aerobic days.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

User avatar
zazthespaz
Kumar
Posts: 13270
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:12 am

Re: help! im putting on the quarantine 15!

Post by zazthespaz »

On the subject of knees - does anyone know of any workouts to improve their health? My knee has been bothering me for about a year - pain right at the joint, almost feels like it could be a cartilage problem but I'm hoping not since I hardly did any high impact sports (specifically on my knees) growing up and I'm only a few months shy of 30. I've been trying some rehab exercises that strengthen and stretch surrounding muscles but haven't noticed any improvement yet.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

User avatar
AB4Lyfe
Achilles
Posts: 5697
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:17 pm
Location: My 'Fortress' is in Seattle, WA

Re: help! im putting on the quarantine 15!

Post by AB4Lyfe »

zazthespaz wrote:On the subject of knees - does anyone know of any workouts to improve their health? My knee has been bothering me for about a year - pain right at the joint, almost feels like it could be a cartilage problem but I'm hoping not since I hardly did any high impact sports (specifically on my knees) growing up and I'm only a few months shy of 30. I've been trying some rehab exercises that strengthen and stretch surrounding muscles but haven't noticed any improvement yet.
Need some more context here, so I’ll have you try something.

Film yourself from the front, and do a set of 12-15 squats. After you’re done, watch the position of your knees; see if your knees cave in towards the middle of your body.

Then do the same assessment, but place the camera directly from the side of your body. Watch to see if you have any forward shift; if when you squat down, your knees shoot forward past your toes.
Image

MaraCarr
White Knuckled
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:12 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: The Fitness Thread

Post by MaraCarr »

I’m not a knee specialist and wish I could help you but It’s a mysterious area of medicine for me. I know what happened to my knee. I was working a contract in Oregon in 2017. I had a lot of meds to pass out when I hit my knee cap really hard on a cabinet drawer. It hurt so bad I think I cracked something...I almost threw up but I held it together. A few months later I developed a fluid filled knot that is about the size of an egg right on top of my knee cap. Last year working a contract in Montana at closing time ... me and a few girls loaded it with Lidocaine and inserted a 20 gauge needle in my knee to hopefully extract fluid but nothing came out. I’m going to have to have an orthopedic surgeon do his or her magic hopefully in July when my current contract is over.
Image

User avatar
Inconquerable
Rise Today
Posts: 3917
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:21 pm
Location: Shady Oak Dr.

Re: Can't. Stop. Picturing. It.

Post by Inconquerable »

MaraCarr wrote:I’m not a knee specialist and wish I could help you but It’s a mysterious area of medicine for me. I know what happened to my knee. I was working a contract in Oregon in 2017. I had a lot of meds to pass out when I hit my knee cap really hard on a cabinet drawer. It hurt so bad I think I cracked something...I almost threw up but I held it together. A few months later I developed a fluid filled knot that is about the size of an egg right on top of my knee cap. Last year working a contract in Montana at closing time ... me and a few girls loaded it with Lidocaine and inserted a 20 gauge needle in my knee to hopefully extract fluid but nothing came out. I’m going to have to have an orthopedic surgeon do his or her magic hopefully in July when my current contract is over.
Yikes, Mara! That sounds painful!! When I had to quit dancing because of my knees I remember teachers and my Mom telling me that water on the knee was a big concern and it definitely didn't help that I already had arthritis and a piece of bone that had been completely worn away in my right knee. But I can't imagine having that knot there for so long, isn't it uncomfortable?
Image

MaraCarr
White Knuckled
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:12 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: Can't. Stop. Picturing. It.

Post by MaraCarr »

Inconquerable wrote:
MaraCarr wrote:I’m not a knee specialist and wish I could help you but It’s a mysterious area of medicine for me. I know what happened to my knee. I was working a contract in Oregon in 2017. I had a lot of meds to pass out when I hit my knee cap really hard on a cabinet drawer. It hurt so bad I think I cracked something...I almost threw up but I held it together. A few months later I developed a fluid filled knot that is about the size of an egg right on top of my knee cap. Last year working a contract in Montana at closing time ... me and a few girls loaded it with Lidocaine and inserted a 20 gauge needle in my knee to hopefully extract fluid but nothing came out. I’m going to have to have an orthopedic surgeon do his or her magic hopefully in July when my current contract is over.
Yikes, Mara! That sounds painful!! When I had to quit dancing because of my knees I remember teachers and my Mom telling me that water on the knee was a big concern and it definitely didn't help that I already had arthritis and a piece of bone that had been completely worn away in my right knee. But I can't imagine having that knot there for so long, isn't it uncomfortable?
Well it’s been tolerable until the last few weeks. I think because I’ve been running and using it a lot it’s started hurting more. Makes me mad! But I guess it’s time to get the surgery. I will be okay. Thank you. :hug
Image

User avatar
zazthespaz
Kumar
Posts: 13270
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:12 am

Re: or that nothing hatches in your knee

Post by zazthespaz »

AB4Lyfe wrote:
zazthespaz wrote:On the subject of knees - does anyone know of any workouts to improve their health? My knee has been bothering me for about a year - pain right at the joint, almost feels like it could be a cartilage problem but I'm hoping not since I hardly did any high impact sports (specifically on my knees) growing up and I'm only a few months shy of 30. I've been trying some rehab exercises that strengthen and stretch surrounding muscles but haven't noticed any improvement yet.
Need some more context here, so I’ll have you try something.

Film yourself from the front, and do a set of 12-15 squats. After you’re done, watch the position of your knees; see if your knees cave in towards the middle of your body.

Then do the same assessment, but place the camera directly from the side of your body. Watch to see if you have any forward shift; if when you squat down, your knees shoot forward past your toes.
Sounds good - I'll let you know!

Mara, that sounds painful. Hope you find a cure!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

User avatar
zazthespaz
Kumar
Posts: 13270
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:12 am

Re: Not to brag, but my thighs are a solid 7/10

Post by zazthespaz »

Did the squats but didn’t notice any movement in my knees. That being said, when I was going to the gym, I made sure to keep my knees behind my toes when doing squats so I’ve had some practice.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

User avatar
AB4Lyfe
Achilles
Posts: 5697
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:17 pm
Location: My 'Fortress' is in Seattle, WA

Re: The Fitness Thread

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Then what I would recommend is focus on body weight exercises that will work to isolate your glutes and hamstrings as those muscles groups are responsible for knee stability, as well as incorporating ways to mobilize and stretch your IT bands like I mentioned to Papa Greg earlier.
Image

User avatar
zazthespaz
Kumar
Posts: 13270
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:12 am

Re: Imma need you to check in with me 3x a week for half an hour

Post by zazthespaz »

Sounds kinda like what I've been doing so I'll keep it up - thanks Duane!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

User avatar
AB4Lyfe
Achilles
Posts: 5697
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:17 pm
Location: My 'Fortress' is in Seattle, WA

Re: Imma need you to check in with me 3x a week for half an hour

Post by AB4Lyfe »

zazthespaz wrote:Sounds kinda like what I've been doing so I'll keep it up - thanks Duane!
Do you have a foam roller? And are you dealing with any back issues as well?
Image

User avatar
Inconquerable
Rise Today
Posts: 3917
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:21 pm
Location: Shady Oak Dr.

Re: Not to brag but my knees are a solid 0/10.

Post by Inconquerable »

zazthespaz wrote:Did the squats but didn’t notice any movement in my knees. That being said, when I was going to the gym, I made sure to keep my knees behind my toes when doing squats so I’ve had some practice.
Vids or it didn't happen.

Sorry I've never objectified somebody before, I didn't enjoy it.

So I did learn this thing from a dance teacher a long time ago that might help, though you might already be doing it. Sit on something where your leg is on a 90 degree angle. Press your foot into the ground and stretch your leg outward only as far as you can before your heel hits the ground. The idea is to create resistance using the floor to push your leg out, and then bring it back in the same way. It helps if you have somebody to push your leg to create resistance as well. I don't know if this is actually helpful or not, my knees were already too messed by the time I was told to do this, but it might help a bit!

EDIT: Also listen to AB4, he knows what's up way more than I do!
Image

User avatar
AB4Lyfe
Achilles
Posts: 5697
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:17 pm
Location: My 'Fortress' is in Seattle, WA

Re: Not to brag but my knees are a solid 0/10.

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Inconquerable wrote:
zazthespaz wrote:Did the squats but didn’t notice any movement in my knees. That being said, when I was going to the gym, I made sure to keep my knees behind my toes when doing squats so I’ve had some practice.
Vids or it didn't happen.

Sorry I've never objectified somebody before, I didn't enjoy it.

So I did learn this thing from a dance teacher a long time ago that might help, though you might already be doing it. Sit on something where your leg is on a 90 degree angle. Press your foot into the ground and stretch your leg outward only as far as you can before your heel hits the ground. The idea is to create resistance using the floor to push your leg out, and then bring it back in the same way. It helps if you have somebody to push your leg to create resistance as well. I don't know if this is actually helpful or not, my knees were already too messed by the time I was told to do this, but it might help a bit!

EDIT: Also listen to AB4, he knows what's up way more than I do!
Appreciate the compliment, especially considering Personal Training is my profession ;)
Image

Post Reply