The Fitness Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Re: The Fitness Thread

Post by AB4Lyfe »

I’m a Personal Trainer, so obviously fitness is a big priority for me. However over the last 6-7 weeks I’ve been dealing with chest pains and haven’t really been able to workout. Thankfully the chest pains have started to subside, which is great! But... back into lockdown and the gyms are now closed. Perfect timing...

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Well, not too much to report on my end. The seizures have continued on throughout the year, though my last one was Dec. 30 and I'm now going on my 4th week seizure free -- so far, they've generally happened anywhere from a few days to, at most, a full month apart, so I'm not quite at my record for longest stretch yet, but getting close! I've tried to put some focus on doing things for my overall fitness that will hopefully benefit the epilepsy situation -- maintain my medication, as well as being more consistent with my daily supplements (men's multivitamin, hemp oil capsule for the Omega 3s and 6s, and a B-complex vitamin supplement as I've read that keeping up on the B vitamins has shown to help reduce seizure activity, hoping that will help!). Trying to maintain a healthy and consistent sleep schedule, though that's been difficult in the past couple weeks as I have a 3 year old who thinks she's 3 months old, and only seems to want to sleep for about 4 or 5 hours at a time. Sigh. Just doing what I can to take care of my overall health, in hopes that that will help stave off the seizures and I can get back to work in a few months - neuro says I need 6 months seizure free before I can drive again, so with the last one happening on Dec. 30, that makes a nice clean break for a 6 month patch and hopefully I can return to work as a forklift driver in July. Being home on disability is okay, but sometimes hard to handle and disability pay isn't as much as normal work pay, so that makes things hard.

On the plus side, though, being home means I have more time to get myself back on that yoga mat! Biking and hiking/walking seem a bit dangerous right now with the threat of seizures looming overhead (plus it's January in Iowa, so no thank you), but my good old DDPYoga is always there and always available -- plus my wife had been giving me some grief about how I pay for a monthly subscription to their app that I wasn't really using, so I'm getting back to it. And she's a bit of a more traditional yogi, so I've been encouraging her to get her time in as well. So far, 3 weeks in, and I've gotten some done 3 days out of each week. And I already feel it, I can feel the increase in strength, flexibility, etc., it's just such a great overall feeling to be back at it and doing it a little more consistently. And it's addicting too, I find myself really WANTING to make sure I find time to get some done rather than feeling like it's something I need to put on my to-do list. And along with that, it makes me want to stay a little more on-track with eating as well, avoid the less healthy snacks, get back to drinking more water again. It all goes hand-in-hand and snowballs together, you know? Feels good. :) Haven't seen any change in the weight yet (still holding that 203-207 range), but I'm sure with enough change in things here that'll come along too.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Screw you , Mr Cold Miser. I'm getting on my bike.

Post by gbruin »

Anybody out in the Zwift (or any other) virtual exercise world? After 8 weeks of waiting for the smart bike trainer I ordered in early December to get restocked - anywhere - I bought a different model today, the next day. Allez!!
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Re: Screw you , Mr Cold Miser. I'm getting on my bike.

Post by TenaciousBe »

gbruin wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:14 am Anybody out in the Zwift (or any other) virtual exercise world? After 8 weeks of waiting for the smart bike trainer I ordered in early December to get restocked - anywhere - I bought a different model today, the next day. Allez!!
Unfortunately no, but my wife and I do have a random old exercise bike (as well as a treadmill) upstairs. What model did you get??

gbruin
MEGLADONG

WI is also the abbreviation for winter

Post by gbruin »

I got a Saris H3. I wish I'd just ordered it initially, knowing the Wahoo was backordered and I could have gotten the Saris before Christmas. I had an older Cyclops static trainer which I finally wore out because it was great, and that company morphed into Saris. They are partnered/owned by Trek, which is the bike model I've ridden for almost 20 years. And they're all built locally in Wisconsin, and I feel badly for anyone who has to live there so it's like throwing them a bone ;)

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

I’m down 12 lbs! ...and counting!

sugarandcyanide
Bought The CDs

Post by sugarandcyanide »

"Come to Life" and "Ties That Bind" came up on my workout shuffle yesterday. Love it. They always amp me up.
SMKC

07/20/14 - Northfield, OH
09/26/15 - Northfield, OH
08/01/19 - Northfield, OH

Myles - YOTT

11/19/18 - Cleveland, OH

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

gbruin wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:14 am Anybody out in the Zwift (or any other) virtual exercise world? After 8 weeks of waiting for the smart bike trainer I ordered in early December to get restocked - anywhere - I bought a different model today, the next day. Allez!!
I actually happen to work at Zwift. Have you been enjoying it?
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Dolo wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:53 am
I actually happen to work at Zwift. Have you been enjoying it?
No way! Truth is I haven't started using Zwift yet. My trainer came with a free trial/sub to Rouvy so I've been using that so far and I love the virtual reality interface, but I'll probably dive into Zwift at some point b/c there are so many people I know who are using it, though I'm a bit less enthusiast about the animated interface. But man, AR/VR cycling is a total game changer. I'm on my bike nearly every day now.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

I feel like I should get into that, maybe it would help me get back on it. At least with the generic old exercise bike that we have here. How does the AR/VR thing work? Do you have to get some kind of glasses / headset thing like the VR of the 90s looked like?

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

TenaciousBe wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:58 am I feel like I should get into that, maybe it would help me get back on it. At least with the generic old exercise bike that we have here. How does the AR/VR thing work? Do you have to get some kind of glasses / headset thing like the VR of the 90s looked like?
Dolo would be the expert here, but I'll toss in what I know...There actually are a few devices that use a headset but most just present the virtual display on a phone or tablet or laptop or smart TV (I run the Rouvy app on my laptop and then plug my laptop into a TV to get a big up front picture). All you ultimately need is a device that monitors your performance on the bike and connects to the app which displays your progress. The easy - and naturally, pricey - way is to buy a smart trainer (or smart bike) that connects to the internet and does everything for you (including increasing or decreasing resistance based in inclines or declines on the road) and you just attach your bike onto the trainer and pick a route or workout and start pedaling. You can use other unconnected trainers though, and you just need the external devices that monitor your cadence/wheel speed/etc and connect to the internet via bluetooth.

It snowed a foot here last night but I'm about to go on a 90 minute ride in the Alps.

Here's a good intro article that spells out a lot of the basics.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/indoor-cycling/

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

gbruin wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:50 pm The easy - and naturally, pricey - way is to buy a smart trainer (or smart bike) that connects to the internet and does everything for you (including increasing or decreasing resistance based in inclines or declines on the road) and you just attach your bike onto the trainer and pick a route or workout and start pedaling. You can use other unconnected trainers though, and you just need the external devices that monitor your cadence/wheel speed/etc and connect to the internet via bluetooth.
Yeah, that's probably the easiest way to go about it. Not sure about the VR thing though - Zwift isn't really compatible with many external technologies like this one but I've seen people rocking the VR headset. I've been working there for less than 6 months now and I'm still trying to figure out all of that tech wizardry - one thing is for sure - Zwift is mostly for the rich among us lol.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Ahh, that makes more sense. Sounds awesome, but unfortunately I'm in a spot where I don't really have much disposable income to work with, so probably no new equipment for me. Riding the old stationary bike would probably be better than nothing, but just sitting and pedaling in a straight line for hours doesn't sound that enchanting - I really do bikes for the terrain, the changes in elevation, going uphill so I can go downhill, etc. The fun stuff!

Ugh, this whole epilepsy thing is so frustrating. I have a seizure maybe once or twice a month at the most, and that prevents me from getting out and doing the fat bike trail riding that I love because that threat of seizures is always looming overhead. There's a 99% chance I'll be fine, but my luck, that'd be the one time one would hit. Sigh. The good news is, I started a new medication for the seizures a few weeks ago, and so far, I haven't had another one since starting that med. Though, that's pretty much on my typical seizure schedule - last one will have been 3 weeks ago as of this Saturday (usually have one around the 4 week mark if I haven't had one in that long yet), and I started the new med the following Tuesday. So, if I make it to this Saturday, and then get another week down, I'll be pushing into my typical "about time to have a seizure" area. And if I can get past the 4 week mark and start going longer, I may be able to credit the new med for keeping them at bay. We hope! And if I can get a couple months down seizure-free, that'll get us into April and springtime, and maybe I can get the bike out and feel a bit safer. I'm sure I'll have it out anyway for fun little paved trail rides with the family, so that's something anyway. :)

I've also been working on keeping more consistent with my DDPY workouts here at home, mostly just for myself but also in hopes that they'll help keep the seizures away as well. My neuro was pretty excited when I first met with her and mentioned that I was doing a form of yoga, she said she wishes more people did yoga, that it would be such a help for everybody's overall health. I agree! If I may show off a little, here's my "how it started vs. how it's going", me 7 years ago (340 pounds) and me today (205). :)

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Be - that's absurdly awesome. Massive well done!

I'm hoping to get back into running come springtime. Just the whole stress of last year meant I basically did nothing, which then makes you more stressed, etc.
For all of the hope that it brings...

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Ubik wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:13 pm Be - that's absurdly awesome. Massive well done!

I'm hoping to get back into running come springtime. Just the whole stress of last year meant I basically did nothing, which then makes you more stressed, etc.
Thank you sir! Yeah, between Covid and wrapping my head around the seizure business, I did next to nothing last year as well. Until towards the end of the year, started getting back into the yoga, and been back on that the last few weeks here. I love just going out for walks and bike rides with the family, so really looking forward to spring time. :)

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

TenaciousBe wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:28 pm
Ubik wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:13 pm Be - that's absurdly awesome. Massive well done!

Thank you sir! Yeah, between Covid and wrapping my head around the seizure business, I did next to nothing last year as well. Until towards the end of the year, started getting back into the yoga, and been back on that the last few weeks here. I love just going out for walks and bike rides with the family, so really looking forward to spring time. :)
That's so awesome on you, Brian. :rockon

One possible option to look into, with all the craze for indoor trainers going on for the last year due to lockdowns, you can probably find a good static trainer (look at the Saris Fluid2 for instance) on resale lists. They start around $250 retail but you could get a used product like that or an equivalent for like $50 on Craig's List around here. Then you attach your bike and pedal away, and since you're indoors and not moving there is far less risk from a seizure, too. Your local bike shop may have some lines on that kind of thing. Just thinking out loud...

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Dolo wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:12 pm
gbruin wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:50 pm The easy - and naturally, pricey - way is to buy a smart trainer (or smart bike) that connects to the internet and does everything for you (including increasing or decreasing resistance based in inclines or declines on the road) and you just attach your bike onto the trainer and pick a route or workout and start pedaling. You can use other unconnected trainers though, and you just need the external devices that monitor your cadence/wheel speed/etc and connect to the internet via bluetooth.
Yeah, that's probably the easiest way to go about it. Not sure about the VR thing though - Zwift isn't really compatible with many external technologies like this one but I've seen people rocking the VR headset. I've been working there for less than 6 months now and I'm still trying to figure out all of that tech wizardry - one thing is for sure - Zwift is mostly for the rich among us lol.
What do you do at Zwift, Dolo? I'd love to hear about it. That whole VR cycling/jogging industry and the tech that goes with it is so cool. I wouldn't be a fan of the VR headset myself. Riding gets hot and sweaty pretty fast and I wouldn't want anything glommed onto my face like that.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

gbruin wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:10 pm
TenaciousBe wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:28 pm

That's so awesome on you, Brian. :rockon

One possible option to look into, with all the craze for indoor trainers going on for the last year due to lockdowns, you can probably find a good static trainer (look at the Saris Fluid2 for instance) on resale lists. They start around $250 retail but you could get a used product like that or an equivalent for like $50 on Craig's List around here. Then you attach your bike and pedal away, and since you're indoors and not moving there is far less risk from a seizure, too. Your local bike shop may have some lines on that kind of thing. Just thinking out loud...
Hey, that's a great idea Greg! Thank you for that. One of my best friends (the one who got me back into biking in the first place a few years ago) now runs his own bike shop about an hour away from me, and he's in a little bigger city, so there may be more resale stuff like that down there around him. I'm sure he could help find something that would fit the ol' fattie. :)

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Dolo wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:12 pm What do you do at Zwift, Dolo? I'd love to hear about it. That whole VR cycling/jogging industry and the tech that goes with it is so cool. I wouldn't be a fan of the VR headset myself. Riding gets hot and sweaty pretty fast and I wouldn't want anything glommed onto my face like that.
Not sure if I'm allowed to say it but I'm gonna do it anyway lol. I work in customer service handling general, less techy and e-commerce related mails (so if you ever buy anything at Zwift Store and need a refund/replacement, there is a good chance I'll be handling that lol). Because of COVID I haven't really been able to come to the actual office a lot (I work remotely) so our team hasn't had a chance to wrap our heads around the techy issues, to sit on a real trainer and use the app. Hopefully that'll change soon.

Yeah, I can't image riding like that in VR headset either but it definitely adds to the enjoyment.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

I know I'm old, but I hear "VR" and the first thing I see in my head is Beavis and Butthead at the beginning of the "I Got You Babe" video with Cher. lol