The Fitness Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: The Fitness Thread

Post by Ubik »

I just started running again after a solid decade of inertia.

Oh god, the pain.
For all of the hope that it brings...

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Then once ur done staring at the pics, try the stretch!

Post by zazthespaz »

Ubik wrote:I just started running again after a solid decade of inertia.

Oh god, the pain.
I had that too for a while, then a friend showed me this stretch to do afterwards and that seemed to help. (I just do part B, I guess A is setup)

This one too (although I put my hand opposite the bent leg on the ground for support)

Do those for 30 seconds or so (maybe twice if needed - I used to) and it'll help reduce the pain the next day (hopefully)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Really helps hip flexors. If you press your hips forward and lean back (yeah, yeah...) you can stretch your hips even further. Helped me tremendously after I tore both my hip flexors.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

That almost looks more painful than the running! The pain I'm getting is at the front of my legs towards the top, near the hips. Is not at all helped by feet impacting with the ground.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Usually it's just the first 2 of 3 times that your body hurts afterwards. I stretch a little before and after I go running and that's it. Just something your body has to get used to.

If you don't like this pain, don't ever start doing fitness, because that first leg day will hurt even more :D
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Genuinely unsure if it's normal aches and pains at this point or whether I've actually injured myself, from the first steps today the pain was pretty annoying, and about halfway I developed a bit of a limp in the right leg with the knee beginning to feel a little dodge as well. And that's with zaz's "let's get overly intimate with the floor today" stretches (they were beneficial though I think, cheers). Might take a few days off and see if it gets any better.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

I've been getting a lot more miles in on my road bike this year, starting on the trainer through the winter and getting outdoors when I can. I was feeling pretty good about things.

And then my 14 y/o son destroyed me in a century ride last weekend. He's ridden a bike twice all year.

Don't get old.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Ryan will buy him drinks

Post by zazthespaz »

Ubik wrote:Genuinely unsure if it's normal aches and pains at this point or whether I've actually injured myself, from the first steps today the pain was pretty annoying, and about halfway I developed a bit of a limp in the right leg with the knee beginning to feel a little dodge as well. And that's with zaz's "let's get overly intimate with the floor today" stretches (they were beneficial though I think, cheers). Might take a few days off and see if it gets any better.
When I started running, I got similar pains based on what you're describing I think. It hurt to stand up a bit and walk around. Still hurt with the stretches but not as much, it does go away the more you do it. I'm several months into it now and I have no problems whatsoever. Glad you gave it a shot, keep trying!
gbruin wrote:I've been getting a lot more miles in on my road bike this year, starting on the trainer through the winter and getting outdoors when I can. I was feeling pretty good about things.

And then my 14 y/o son destroyed me in a century ride last weekend. He's ridden a bike twice all year.

Don't get old.
can we have little Greg go to the AB album show instead? He sounds cooler.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I do that stretch all the time before and after running. I always had upper thigh tightness in the back of my legs after a few miles. I was at a baseball game one night and saw one of the players doing that stretch, and the lightbulb went off. Have been doing it ever since, and no more stiffness.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

gbruin wrote:I've been getting a lot more miles in on my road bike this year, starting on the trainer through the winter and getting outdoors when I can. I was feeling pretty good about things.

Don't get old.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: hockey <=> quads + lungs <=> cycling

Post by gbruin »

In my defense, he plays AAA hockey on the best team in the state so he's on the ice or working out all the time.

Alas, he's too young to go to the AB album show.

Don't get old, but don't be too young either (unless you want to catch Shea's eye),
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: hockey <=> quads + lungs <=> cycling

Post by Timotheus »

gbruin wrote:Don't get old, but don't be too young either (unless you want to catch Shea's eye),
:D
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Those stretches up there are some of my absolute favorites in my yoga flow. I save it for towards the end just so I can look forward to it for an hour, and it feels SO good. I learned that one in DDPYoga, where it's followed by "uncorking" up to a 3-legged downward dog position.

God, I need to do more yoga again. The summer has been rough, since I moved in with my girlfriend last November and her 3 kids are home all day every day in the summer. School starts in a couple weeks, and we plan to get back on it then.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Just passed 500 miles ran for the year. Headed for 750.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

One Drew Remains wrote:Just passed 500 miles ran for the year. Headed for 750.
Drew slow down. Before you know it you'll have ran the circumference of the world :lol

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Ya fit jerk

Post by zazthespaz »

Awesome man! Good for you!

My hips and knee keep giving me pain keeping me from running/cardio. I try to take a few weeks off but even when I go back to it, it still hurts. Need to see a doctor but I keep putting it off.

But each! Good for you ODR!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

This is obscene.

Judging from my above posts I've now been going for 3 months, that break and zaz's stretches definitely helped a lot but after my last couple my right leg has been feeling properly weak from the knee up. Dunno if I'm putting more strain on it when I'm running or not, but it's annoying.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Thanks guys. I get a lot of albums listened to .
Altered:

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

One Drew Remains wrote:Thanks guys. I get a lot of albums listened to .
But come October 7th you'll only be needing to use one album, right Drew? Or least until you wear it out :P

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: He's the beast you cannot tame.

Post by zazthespaz »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
One Drew Remains wrote:Thanks guys. I get a lot of albums listened to .
But come October 7th you'll only be needing to use one album, right Drew? Or least until you wear it out :P
I feel like Shea will kill you if you don't give the "right" answer.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says