The Fitness Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Canadian workouts are confusing as hell.

Post by zazthespaz »

AB4Lyfe wrote:
zazthespaz wrote:Sounds kinda like what I've been doing so I'll keep it up - thanks Duane!
Do you have a foam roller? And are you dealing with any back issues as well?
Nope and nope. Old shoulders problem but that's unrelated. (I think)
Inconquerable wrote:
zazthespaz wrote:Did the squats but didn’t notice any movement in my knees. That being said, when I was going to the gym, I made sure to keep my knees behind my toes when doing squats so I’ve had some practice.
Vids or it didn't happen.

Sorry I've never objectified somebody before, I didn't enjoy it.

So I did learn this thing from a dance teacher a long time ago that might help, though you might already be doing it. Sit on something where your leg is on a 90 degree angle. Press your foot into the ground and stretch your leg outward only as far as you can before your heel hits the ground. The idea is to create resistance using the floor to push your leg out, and then bring it back in the same way. It helps if you have somebody to push your leg to create resistance as well. I don't know if this is actually helpful or not, my knees were already too messed by the time I was told to do this, but it might help a bit!

EDIT: Also listen to AB4, he knows what's up way more than I do!
I'd have to put pants on to upload vids...

I'm struggling to visualize what you're saying. If I'm pressing my foot into the ground, I can't move my leg(?). Is this some sort of standing exercise? Do you have a picture/video?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Re: Canadian workouts are confusing as hell.

Post by AB4Lyfe »

zazthespaz wrote:
AB4Lyfe wrote:
zazthespaz wrote:Sounds kinda like what I've been doing so I'll keep it up - thanks Duane!
Do you have a foam roller? And are you dealing with any back issues as well?
Nope and nope. Old shoulders problem but that's unrelated. (I think)
Likely unrelated, just wanted to see if it’s possible you had a misaligned spine that was causing additional pressure on your knees. Carry on!

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Re: This is why they pay AB4 the big bucks. He knows words.

Post by Inconquerable »

Hahah sorry for my bad explanation. You're not planting on your foot, your just moving the bottom half of your leg outward while pressing your foot into the ground. The point of the pressing is just to make it difficult for it go move, it's not that you're standing up. I should have also mentioned you should sit on the edge of the seat. All you're doing is using the floor for resistance. You drag your foot out without lifting it off the floor and then pull it back in. I'll see if I can't find a video in a bit.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: when does the maple syrup come in?

Post by zazthespaz »

That makes more sense. I’ll give it a try, thanks!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: the maple syrup comes in at the edge of your seat and under your feet while trying to keep yourself stable

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

zazthespaz wrote:That makes more sense. I’ll give it a try, thanks!
See subject line

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Getting to be Chris Hemsworth for one post

Post by gbruin »

Inconquerable wrote:
zazthespaz wrote:Did the squats but didn’t notice any movement in my knees. That being said, when I was going to the gym, I made sure to keep my knees behind my toes when doing squats so I’ve had some practice.

It's ok. Zaz has never been objectified before and he enjoyed it a lot.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: The Fitness Thread

Post by MaraCarr »

I’m not the only one! You guys watch out for those weighted balls that bounce! :lol I learned the hard way that there is a certain technique you use to catch them properly! ;)

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: My mom objectifies me all the time though. "Looks like someone's drinking the 2%, Fatty." "Thanks mom."

Post by zazthespaz »

MaraCarr wrote:I’m not the only one! You guys watch out for those weighted balls that bounce! :lol I learned the hard way that there is a certain technique you use to catch them properly! ;)

Any video online involving 2 guys talking about balls is inevitably going to end with at least one of them getting hit in the face with said ball.
gbruin wrote:
Inconquerable wrote:

It's ok. Zaz has never been objectified before and he enjoyed it a lot.
How did I not reply to this? Of course I loved it!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Re: But legitimately happy that you're ok!

Post by Inconquerable »

MaraCarr wrote:I’m not the only one! You guys watch out for those weighted balls that bounce! :lol I learned the hard way that there is a certain technique you use to catch them properly! ;)

The one with the glasses set the other poor soul up! This is a conspiracy!

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

I’m sure he probably looked like me! Hahaha! Lips all swollen... just glad I could walk around with a mask on and be considered normal! :X

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Ive been going back on the stationary bike the last week or so to try and at least achieve some level of physical activity these days and have managed to steadily increase my kms ran and calories burned under the same time limit and difficulty level each time. I'm hoping to get to a point where I can feel comfortable enough to start going on jogs again since I stopped them a few years ago. So far these are my current stats:

Time limit: 30 mins; 34 mins with Warm Up and Cooldown.

Level: 15

Setting: Random

Weight: 70 (assuming its in kg :lol)

Current record: 18.6km ran and 370 calories burned

Previous records:
17.4km & 324 calories
16.1km & 300 calories

I'm hoping to be able to push myself to break 20km in 34 mins but I might have reached my peak tonight with 18.6 :/

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: "Plug ur pores"

Post by zazthespaz »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:Ive been going back on the stationary bike the last week or so to try and at least achieve some level of physical activity these days and have managed to steadily increase my kms ran and calories burned under the same time limit and difficulty level each time. I'm hoping to get to a point where I can feel comfortable enough to start going on jogs again since I stopped them a few years ago. So far these are my current stats:

Time limit: 30 mins; 34 mins with Warm Up and Cooldown.

Level: 15

Setting: Random

Weight: 70 (assuming its in kg :lol)

Current record: 18.6km ran and 370 calories burned

Previous records:
17.4km & 324 calories
16.1km & 300 calories

I'm hoping to be able to push myself to break 20km in 34 mins but I might have reached my peak tonight with 18.6 :/
Good for you Shea! This post inspired me to start doing more cardio. Read this yesterday, then my dad told me about a cardio class he found online and enjoyed so I gave it a shot. Still hate cardio, but gotta do something for my heart.

This leads me to a question: does anyone here have any experience with yoga mats? I need something to work out over so I'm not dripping sweat on my floor. I'll be exercising on it, so it's gotta be durable, but I'm seeing prices over $70 and that seems absurd to me. Does anyone have any suggestions?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: "Plug ur pores"

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

zazthespaz wrote:Good for you Shea! This post inspired me to start doing more cardio. Read this yesterday, then my dad told me about a cardio class he found online and enjoyed so I gave it a shot. Still hate cardio, but gotta do something for my heart.

This leads me to a question: does anyone here have any experience with yoga mats? I need something to work out over so I'm not dripping sweat on my floor. I'll be exercising on it, so it's gotta be durable, but I'm seeing prices over $70 and that seems absurd to me. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks, Cam! I know its not much but it's better than nothing :D Im flattered my post could inspire you, though! I've always been more of a cardio person myself back in the days when I was most physically active and fit. I loved running and beating time records on runs or personal scores on the beep tests at school :/ Never much of a weights guy cause I never had the body type or discipline to gain and maintain muscle mass. But I could still lift decent weights just to do some sort of non-cardio fitness.

Personally I have no experience with yoga mats, so I cant suggest any good ones. But I'd probably pay the $70 if I thought it had a clear distinction in quality from the cheaper ones :lol if not then maybe not.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Went on my first jog. Only ended up jogging long enough to listen to 2 short Tremonti songs (Lions, and Make It Hurt) Because I was scared of pushing myself too hard too soon. But its a start. Probably ended up being like 1km long if that :lol With each week I will jog daily and I'm gonna increase the distance every week. So today I discovered that what I did was probably too short for me still, might increase it to 2km tomorrow. And then do that for a week before doing 3km for a week and so on. And once I get comfortable with the distance I'm jogging...might max it to be about 5km and then start working on speed over distance.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Soooo scrap that entire previous post :lol

Today I went for the full jog through my local park and back home like I used to do every weekend back in my jogging days. On average I used to get 17 mins and today I ran it in 20 mins, but whats important is that I can still run through the whole park and back :lol So now knowing I can do it, my next goal is to get my average time back to 17 mins or faster. :D

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:Soooo scrap that entire previous post :lol

Today I went for the full jog through my local park and back home like I used to do every weekend back in my jogging days. On average I used to get 17 mins and today I ran it in 20 mins, but whats important is that I can still run through the whole park and back :lol So now knowing I can do it, my next goal is to get my average time back to 17 mins or faster. :D
Went on another run through the park today and got 17 mins this time :lol :shrug

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:Soooo scrap that entire previous post :lol

Went on another run through the park today and got 17 mins this time :lol :shrug
That’s so good! I’m really happy for you. I had a slight pause in my workouts after dropping 12 lbs and completing 50 brutal workouts with a trainer. 1-2 hour workouts. I have a new job and relocation ... ummm...it happened very fast so hope to get going again next week.
We should connect on Runkeeper app. It’s fun and free!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

MaraCarr wrote:That’s so good! I’m really happy for you. I had a slight pause in my workouts after dropping 12 lbs and completing 50 brutal workouts with a trainer. 1-2 hour workouts. I have a new job and relocation ... ummm...it happened very fast so hope to get going again next week.
We should connect on Runkeeper app. It’s fun and free!
Thanks MC. :D Good luck restarting your exercising! Dont get too comfortable not doing it like I did :lol :/ Ehh I dont use or rely on apps when it comes to fitness. Nothing wrong with them but its not something I think about. What's most important is getting out there and doing it. But if it works for you then :peace

I managed to push it to 16 mins today...Which 3 years ago was pretty much the 2nd fastest time I got on average...

14:20 was my record, rarely got 15mins, average was 16min-17min. On slow days I was doing 18mins.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

I have this friend that got me started on that App. I am not consistent at all... with anything. I get bored then start a new project. In order for me to finish something I have to have data.. charts and graphs and such. :lol :embarrassed

I enjoy watching him run all over the country. Unlike me he is very consistent. He runs all the time and loves it.

You are right the important thing is that we get it done. Have a great week!

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Hey kids! Been a while since I checked in here. I have good news and I have bad news...

Good news, I've continued losing weight, and have ALMOST gotten down to 200. Been sitting around 206-208 most days lately -- and still, really, don't know quite why. I try to maintain generally good habits, but I haven't been sticking to any particular diet or exercise program. I just drink a lot of water, try to keep the snacking under control (which, really, I think I eat more junk food now than I was a few years ago when I was actively trying to lose weight, but just keeping things in balance), and keep meal portions in check. I did finally get a new fitbit about a week ago so I can get back to tracking everything, though I haven't started tracking my food yet. Just need to get back on that habit.

However, the bad news... this year has brought a whole new challenge. A few months ago, I had this incident where I was driving (alone, thankfully), and passed out. Luckily I didn't get hurt, just "woke up" out driving in a field being followed by some cops. Went to the ER, and they determined that I had had a seizure. I've been on anti-seizure medication ever since, but I have had a handful more and am going back to see the neurologist again at the end of next week. They also did a test for sleep apnea, which they determined I have, and I'll be doing another sleep study and looking into getting some sort of machine to wear on my face while I sleep -- I don't know if that's related to the epilepsy / seizure issue, but at least it's something to address and hopefully it will help head off the seizures. The scariest part of these seizures has been the fact that I get zero warning before they happen -- I just go from feeling totally normal, to waking up about half an hour later all confused and possibly injured. One of them happened as I was getting on the riding lawn mower, and I fell off and landed on the gear shifter and got a gnarly bruise on my back. Another one happened just as I was getting out of the van after a trip to get some groceries, and I smacked my face on the door frame and scraped the hell out of my knees on the pavement in the garage. I really haven't been back on my bike much in the last few weeks, and I miss it, but the uncertainty with these seizures makes bike riding REALLY scary. I do need to get back into my yoga habit, though, my neurologist was excited when I mentioned I did a bit of yoga and she said she thinks everybody should do more of that. I'm sure if I was doing it every day, it would be a great help with this seizure issue -- plus it may push me over the edge to finally get my weight below that 200 mark! I'm currently off work on short term disability while we work on figuring out the best way to deal with this, so I have plenty of time to get that yoga mat out again. Just need to make sure I'm getting it done!

All in all, though, aside from this terrifying seizure thing, stuff has been pretty good! If any of you guys use fitbit and want to friend up, let me know. :)
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.