The Fitness Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
abw1987
Blood Machines

Re: The Fitness Thread

Post by abw1987 »

So I bought a treadmill and it was just delivered yesterday. I've done two runs on it, and so far so good. Thank God I no longer need to drive to the gym whenever the weather's bad.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Congrats on the treadmill. With spring weather, I have been doing more running outside. I won't hit 1,000 like last year. But my goal is 700 for sure.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Thanks man! The treadmill has worked out great so far. It's made it much easier for me to be consistent when the weather is lousy. I haven't even mounted a TV yet. I'll just flip on the radio and stare at the wall for a half hour :lol.

Anyway, it's the beginning of April and I've been able to work up a 10-mile lead over where I need to be. I've found it's much easier to maintain mileage through shorter, more frequent runs. If I skip a day, that means I need to do a 6-miler some other day, and a 6-miler is much more of a time-consuming ordeal than fitting in a quick 3-miler before work.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Worked out at the gym (mostly upper body) for an hour this morning. Then ran 7 miles around a local lake here. It feels great to be out on a sunny day. I've been couped up for 60 hours a week at work.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Can't get fat at the desk job

Post by zazthespaz »

One Drew Remains wrote:Worked out at the gym (mostly upper body) for an hour this morning. Then ran 7 miles around a local lake here. It feels great to be out on a sunny day. I've been couped up for 60 hours a week at work.
Holy shit man. Good for you! I dont have the patience to run anywhere near that long before or after working out. Gotta get my schedule going to get into the gym with my new job.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Thanks. It was pretty much the first half of my day, lol. I'm trying to spend as much time in the gym as I am running this year. All upper body. I run enough I don't feel like I need much leg work.
Altered:

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

One Drew Remains wrote:Thanks. It was pretty much the first half of my day, lol. I'm trying to spend as much time in the gym as I am running this year. All upper body. I run enough I don't feel like I need much leg work.
It's crazy how much time fitness can consume. I'm with you on skipping leg day. I have no interest in amassing thundrous thighs, and I figure running is enough of a workout for my legs. (I know, I know, they're completely different types of workout.)

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Yeah. I work with a guy who does leg workouts a couple of times a week. I have just ran consistently for the past 3 years, and my calves dwarf his.

So far it's april 8th, and I've been in the gym every morning before work for my upper body workout (and treadmill) this month. Shooting for every day in april.
Altered:

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Ruined my childhood

Post by zazthespaz »

If you're running that's fine I guess. I grew up seeing a guy who was absolutely jacked, then I saw him at the gym and he had chicken legs despite the built upper frame so it's clearly important to do if you're not running :lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Merinda
Sig Queen

Post by Merinda »

I am so fat right now.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Beefcaaaaaake!

Merinda
Sig Queen

Post by Merinda »

is that like meatloaf?

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Pre-workout = bro-laxative. Good way to start the day.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

So my last post in this thread was Dec '14, at which point I'd lost 80 pounds and was down from 340 to 260. In the year+ since then, I've... lost another 10. Been stuck right around 250 (give or take a few pounds) for about a year. And that's not terrible, it's a fairly comfortable weight, and hell, I'm fitting into "normal" clothes again (mostly XL shirts and 40-42 pants, which are right on the edge of the "don't have to shop in the big men's section" zone). The winter was kind of a killer, though after the new year my girlfriend joined my gym with me and we've been going at least 3 or 4 times a week in the afternoons while her kids are all in school, and at the very least doing some walking and exercise biking.

Speaking of biking, I got REALLY into that last year. I had gotten a taste for it the year before, but last year I really jumped into the bike community and started checking out some trails, going with my buddy to some of his races, and we organized a small group of people to do Saturday morning rides towards the end of last summer. I had gotten by on a crappy old-school Walmart bike for a while, but it was time to upgrade, so towards the end of the summer I bought a Gravity Bullseye fat bike (entry level, but a lot of bike for $500 - http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gra ... onster.htm ). I wanted a fatbike because, well, fatbikes are awesome, but also so I could ride during the winter months. Well, the winter months have been here and I think I went out in the snow maybe twice... oops. I forgot it was all cold outside during the winter, and nuts to that. But spring is knocking on our door and I'm really excited to get back in the swing of things. And I'm hoping that getting back on the bike a bit more will add a shock to the ol' metabolism, maybe finally knock at least that last 10 pounds off and get me to the 100 club. Ultimately I'd still like to get back down to 200 pounds, but just getting to the 240 mark has been a bearcat. Either way, I'm maintaining, and I can't be too unhappy about that.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

That's awesome TB. The weather here has been spotty at best. I'm closing in on 100 miles for jan/feb. Shooting for 600 to 700 again this year.
Altered:

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Going to get some more positivity vibes going. So for once, after thinking about it for so long, I'm doing DDP Yoga. I've been casually following the stories on my usual wrestling news sites regarding DDP and his yoga program and from the looks at the results, I'm thinking that DDP is a modern day miracle worker, and got a good motivational aura to him, so I might as well take a chance with it. After doing the first workout, The Diamond Dozen, it feels good. Not feeling any intense pain and got the heartrate beating well (at least 120-150). I'm not expecting any instant results right away, but I just got to keep going with it and have a good attitude throughout the whole time.

Nick_917
Loyal Follower

Post by Nick_917 »

Biking is probably my favorite form of exercise. I've ridden close to 40 miles in two weeks this year. I'll shoot for pushing myself a little more once it starts getting warmer outside, but I think I'm off to a good start. 600-700 miles sounds like a good goal, Drew. I might have to try and get to that too :D Haven't done trails yet but that's probably my main goal for the year - I really want to start trying some of those. There are some great trails not to far from my house! Illinois is a beautiful state.
"Whatever takes us away
Will be the same to drive us on."

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

anguyen92 wrote:Going to get some more positivity vibes going. So for once, after thinking about it for so long, I'm doing DDP Yoga. I've been casually following the stories on my usual wrestling news sites regarding DDP and his yoga program and from the looks at the results, I'm thinking that DDP is a modern day miracle worker, and got a good motivational aura to him, so I might as well take a chance with it. After doing the first workout, The Diamond Dozen, it feels good. Not feeling any intense pain and got the heartrate beating well (at least 120-150). I'm not expecting any instant results right away, but I just got to keep going with it and have a good attitude throughout the whole time.
YES! YES! YES! DDP Yoga was one of the main things I did to get started with the weight loss a couple years ago. The workouts are fun, and energizing, and don't really take that long. I haven't really done much in the way of full formal DDPY workouts lately, but I have been getting back on the yoga mat and when I do, I'm mostly doing moves and positions that I remember from the DDPY workouts, just flowing from one thing to the next however it feels right. I've started to look into a little more of the traditional yoga, but I still always associate everything with its DDPY names and flows. And the dynamic resistance! And of course I have to throw in a Diamond Cutter or two :rockon
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

15min21s on my first 4km run in over 7 months! :o

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Good job. I just went over 300 miles for the year yesterday. Hoping to get to 650-700 range this year.
Altered: