The Fitness Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: The Fitness Thread

Post by MaraCarr »

Hey I am so happy for you and your weight loss, I am also happy you drink a lot of water. My problem is I drink a lot of beer instead of water. I am Irish..Its just what we do. Its fun, tastes good and makes us happy. I just need to run more afterwards. LOL. I am horrified to think of what the seizure must have been like and I am so glad you are ok and doing well and still focused on your goal...that is so incredible. You are Awesome!!!!

I love Yoga in the water though...on paddle boards! No feeling any better...seriously! You paddle way out away from the land and you and a few others simultaniously do the same moves. My daughter can stand on her hands in the middle of the water on a paddle board its really beautiful, I dont know how to load a photo but if someone would show me I would show you that one of her... It's an incredible picture. I truly hope you are ok and healthy. I am so sorry you had to experience that. So excited that you want to keep going. I finally got to 185 after some major brutality. .... I am not going to quit....Just going to close my eyes and keep pushing forward.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

I just got back into running again. I started at the beginning of the pandemic, but it was just longer jogging bouts (3-5 miles at a time, pacing myself relatively leisurely). My only claim to fame during this time was breaking 20 minutes in a 5K run (19:58.22, to be exact).

Now I'm picking it up again and want to try and break a 5-minute mile time as I used to be able to do in high school. I did this just a couple years back when I first turned 30 (got 4:59.50 actually), but an injury had arisen, life and work got in the way, and I shut down the running program.

Anyway, just did a timed mile yesterday, and I came in at 5:19.08. I definitely won't be able to get this down to 5:00 even until maybe the end of September, but I certainly hope I can keep it up this time and work it down over time!

Oh, I'm 32 years old now, by the way.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:I just got back into running again. I started at the beginning of the pandemic, but it was just longer jogging bouts (3-5 miles at a time, pacing myself relatively leisurely). My only claim to fame during this time was breaking 20 minutes in a 5K run (19:58.22, to be exact).

Now I'm picking it up again and want to try and break a 5-minute mile time as I used to be able to do in high school. I did this just a couple years back when I first turned 30 (got 4:59.50 actually), but an injury had arisen, life and work got in the way, and I shut down the running program.

Anyway, just did a timed mile yesterday, and I came in at 5:19.08. I definitely won't be able to get this down to 5:00 even until maybe the end of September, but I certainly hope I can keep it up this time and work it down over time!

That's pretty good for 32! But if you've maintained an active lifestyle I can see how it's do-able :D I dont think I could do 5kms in under 20 mins and I'm only 25 but I'd have to give it a shot some day! :eek

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:I just got back into running again. I started at the beginning of the pandemic, but it was just longer jogging bouts (3-5 miles at a time, pacing myself relatively leisurely). My only claim to fame during this time was breaking 20 minutes in a 5K run (19:58.22, to be exact).

That's pretty good for 32! But if you've maintained an active lifestyle I can see how it's do-able :D I dont think I could do 5kms in under 20 mins and I'm only 25 but I'd have to give it a shot some day! :eek
Haha well in between those two years, I really didn't do any running. I coach youth fastpitch softball and I play adult slow pitch softball, but that would be it.

I was always a good long-distance runner. I don't want to say it was "natural," it never came easy. I started in P.E. in sixth grade and my teacher pushed me. I just kept getting better, I guess. My best mile time was 4:50 my sophomore year of high school. That was actually my last timed mile I had ran since age 29, lol.

If I actually can get back down to under a 5 minute mile, I'm guessing I can get my 5K under 19:30 without problem as well. What's really weird is learning how little that the muscles I use for those long distance runs help for my harder mile runs hah, but I hope that the other way actually helps me some for those longer distance runs.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Did a 5-mile run today. Finished in 35:33.38. That's the fastest I know I've gone when timing myself on it, but I'm betting I can break 35 minutes by the end of the month.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

A sub-5 mile is great

Post by gbruin »

Those are some pretty smoking times you're putting up, Muffin.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Did a 5.75km run in 25 mins today! Pretty proud of myself! :D :peace

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

I’m so proud!That is Awesome! I’m going to beat you just FYI! Give me a week!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

MaraCarr wrote:I’m so proud!That is Awesome! I’m going to beat you just FYI! Give me a week!
Noooo you cant! :no :lol :mope

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Only managed to get a 5.15km run in today in approximately 30mins cause I chose a different route this time with a bunch of hills, and boy do those hills really slow your roll :lol :/ (gonna regret this tomorrow :lol)

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:Only managed to get a 5.15km run in today in approximately 30mins cause I chose a different route this time with a bunch of hills, and boy do those hills really slow your roll :lol :/ (gonna regret this tomorrow :lol)

I just need a little more time... :)

I’m at a 12 minute mile right now. I need more time! :lol

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

MaraCarr wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:Only managed to get a 5.15km run in today in approximately 30mins cause I chose a different route this time with a bunch of hills, and boy do those hills really slow your roll :lol :/ (gonna regret this tomorrow :lol)

I just need a little more time... :)

I’m at a 12 minute mile right now. I need more time! :lol
The more I run now, the more I've come to the conclusion that speed and time isnt my goal, it's distance and endurance. I want to be able to run farther longer :/ :lol

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

:hug Good for you! That is awesome!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I hurt my right Achilles and left knee pretty bad about 10ish days ago from running too many times and too fast in a short span of days so I ended up taking a week off from running to let them heal a bit and I started it back up again this week. But instead of running every day + longer distances like I was attempting, I cut it to every other day at least. Also just laying off the extra distance for now and focusing on the regular run through my local park until my Achilles fully recovers. Also also not pushing myself or running too fast so I'm just doing it a a pace right now that I feel I wont further injure myself at :/ And I'm making sure I do a decent amount of stretches before and after :lol :/

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

I hope you heal soon! I read that stretching is very important before and after running. I usually don’t and I hurt myself then I have to stop for a while resulting in a decrease of my endurance level. It’s a nasty cycle!

Scott Jurek wrote a book about running. People call him “The Deer”. The man is supernatural!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

A buddy of mine who is a near-world class ultra marathoner (near, because he's my age with a a job and kids) got asked to participate in an attempt to summit the most 14,000 ft mountains in a 24 hour period here in CO. They did this about 3 weeks ago and my buddy tied the existing record with 10 and his friend set the new record with 11. That's insane.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: A sub-5 mile is great

gbruin wrote:Those are some pretty smoking times you're putting up, Muffin.
I appreciate it. Sadly, because of fires in my area, it's been well over three weeks since I've last ran. I probably set myself back a loooot now.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

There was some smog/smoke that stayed around in my neighborhood that traveled over from the forest fires so for a while there I decided it be best to delay my runs to avoid breathing it in too much, the other day we got lots of rain that finally cleared most of it out and I am finally able to go on runs again! I've got so used to running again that not being able to do it for any stretch of time like 3+ days and I get annoyed :lol

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

:)

gbruin
MEGLADONG

I'm coming for you, Geraint. Maybe.

Post by gbruin »

I really want to get into zwift, an online, virtual cycling community. I don't have the time/freedom to get out to ride often enough, and when I do get out, pushing pedals is like stepping in and of concrete. I'd love a way to make a 30-60 minute block of time efficient so I could do it 3-4 times a week, but getting a smart trainer is such a huge chunk of money. We'll see...