The Fitness Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Channeling my inner Gurthie.

Post by zazthespaz »

gbruin wrote:Nice, Brian. Setting specific goals is always a good idea.

Or you can use opportunity. I get to go for a bike ride with my 35 pound dead car battery today, for instance.
IF IT DOESNT WORK IN YOUR CAR, WHAT THE HELL MAKES YOU THINK ITLL WORK ON YOUR BIKE?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Re: The Fitness Thread

Post by One Drew Remains »

750! Got it around 4 this afternoon. Here's to trying for another 750 in '17.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: My fault for not checking with you first

Post by gbruin »

zazthespaz wrote:
gbruin wrote:Nice, Brian. Setting specific goals is always a good idea.

Or you can use opportunity. I get to go for a bike ride with my 35 pound dead car battery today, for instance.
IF IT DOESNT WORK IN YOUR CAR, WHAT THE HELL MAKES YOU THINK ITLL WORK ON YOUR BIKE?
Excellent point. It was more like 48 pounds and it was a whole lot harder to pedal. I won't make that mistake again.
One Drew Remains wrote:750! Got it around 4 this afternoon. Here's to trying for another 750 in '17.
:bow
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: That's a light beer I'm cheers-ing btw

Post by zazthespaz »

One Drew Remains wrote:750! Got it around 4 this afternoon. Here's to trying for another 750 in '17.
That's awesome Drew! Congrats! :cheers
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Immense stuff Drew.

Right, tomorrow it begins.
For all of the hope that it brings...

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Thanks guys. Yeah. Tomorrow the tone up begins. Im going back in tuna fish lunches, and NO desserts. Trying to tone up, yet get back in the 180s again. Turned 37 this year, so metabolism us tapping out. I'm 6' and 205 right now. Would like to be down 20 by vacation in mid June.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Is that my problem? :( I'm 37 as well, and been stuck at 250 for about a year. Granted, my eating and workout habits have been all over the place, but generally I do well and can't ever seem to fluctuate (plus or minus) from a few pounds around that number.

On the plus side, I have gotten back on the yoga mat and done my good old DDP Yoga workouts a couple times over the weekend. Since my lady is now with child (!!!), she may have to take it a little easier on the yoga mat and probably no bike riding with me this summer, but we should still be able to get plenty of walking / hiking in together.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

I hear that DDP yoga is amazing.
Altered:

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

One Drew Remains wrote:I hear that DDP yoga is amazing.
It really is! Actually any yoga is amazing, but the DDP stuff is wonderful if you're not much into the New Agey spiritual stuff that a lot of yoga gets into. I don't want to say DDP is more of a "guy's" yoga, because there are lots of women who do it as well, but it kind of feels that way. Breaks it down into the basic moves, combines them with calisthenics (pushups, crunches, etc) and some other cardio-based stuff. Focuses on the physical side, with a little bit of positive motivational speeches on the side.

Background:

And a demo of one of the workouts:

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Fellas, I'm failing. Hard. Well, not that hard, but hard.

Here's the deal. A year ago, my then-fiancee and I had a nice rigid schedule. I work 5pm-5am overnights, so I'd come home and get to bed by 6, and she's a night-owl as well so she'd have just gone to bed a few hours before I get home, we'd sleep till 11, get up to the alarm, take her daughter to pre-school at noon, and then we're up and have the next 3 hours to do whatever - run errands and such, but most days we'd find some time to devote an hour or so to the gym, or walking, or biking. It was good. By 3, we're picking up kids from school, and by 4:30 I need to be out the door for work.

This year, her daughter is in kindergarten and goes to school all day, goes early in the morning like her brothers do. I work the same hours, my now-wife follows the same schedule, but we have the chance to get a little bit more sleep (which is imperative to health too) so rather than being up at 11 every day, the alarm is set for noon, sometimes 12:30, sometimes 1. By the time we get up, get out of bed (which isn't always easy :humina ), and get some lunch, there's not a lot of time left in there for workout stuff. And there are always errands to do. Granted, we've been extra busy in the last few months, with her divorce, then us getting married, now we're buying a house... there's rarely a day that some kind of business doesn't need to be attended to. Even when you think you're coming out of the woods, something else comes along. Not that I'm complaining because we're advancing our lives and doing some cool grownup financial stability shit, but the time for doing workoutey stuff just isn't there. Working the 12 hour shifts is the main culprit, but I really don't want to leave a job that I have almost 11 years of seniority in just for the schedule.

So, with that all said, I've also not really been eating as well as I used to. We're busy, we're on the go, and I don't really get time to prepare and cook meals during the week, so it's usually sandwiches at Subway or Casey's, random stuff on the go, and that's the kind of stuff I completely cut out of my diet back when I lost a bunch of weight. The good news is, I haven't gained that much weight back (still between 250 and 260), but the body fat and muscle mass numbers on my home scale are back to almost where they were when I weighed well over 300. My size hasn't changed TOO much, but I can tell in the last few weeks those clothes are feeling a little tighter again.

Maybe we need to go back to getting up at 11 and devoting more time to workouts? I could sneak in my yoga sessions in the early mornings between getting home from work and going to bed, but I really prefer doing those after waking up as a way to get the juices flowing for the day rather than doing it and then trying to go to bed. On the plus side, with buying this house, we'll be moving to the town where I work (only like 12 miles away), so that'll save me a little bit of time AND I can start bike commuting to work. The new house is only about a mile from where I work, but a couple miles each day is better than the nothing I've done all winter. And... bigger house, more space, the kids will all have their own rooms and can stop taking over the living room and maybe we can do more yoga there. There's a fitness place in the new town, not as big as the gym we used to go to and doesn't have a track or a court, just stationary bikes / treadmills and weights, but maybe I can get in on that action. Or just hope all the "running errands" stuff settles down once we've closed on the house and get moved, and there's no more divorce/wedding stuff to do. But then we also have a baby on the way, due in August, so here comes that ride too (again, not complaining in the slightest, I'm SUPER excited to be a dad for the first time!).

The moral of the story... hell, I don't know, I'm just rambling. It was so much easier to devote time to fitness, workouts, healthy eating, etc. when I was single, but... I was also single, and that sucks. Life is good! Life is amazing! It just takes some finagling and prioritizing to make sure there's still some focus on that health. And I have work to do in that respect.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Apologies for the triple post, but no one else has posted in here in a while.

But I'm doing a bit better! We got our move done, and settling into the new routine. I get to ride my bike to work now, and while it's only a little over a mile each way, I've started to take longer routes home and get about an hour of riding in after work in the mornings. Kinda nice to ride around while the sun's coming up, anyway. Getting my eating habits a little back to better. Haven't lost any weight yet (I had bumped up to 260) but hopefully that will come in time, if I stick with this. Plus, I'm doing a bike challenge this month to raise money for the Children's Cancer Research Fund (link to my challenge page), and gave myself a goal of 150 miles throughout the month of June. I've got about 25 in already, so slightly behind pace but I didn't really start till Monday. Gives me something to work towards though!

How's everyone doing? Whatcha up to? What are you working on?

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

My lack of posting tells you about how well I'm doing :lol

Awesome to hear you're getting back on track with it Be, that's a great target and cause!

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

I'm nowhere near where I want to be. But I am down about 7 pounds on the year. I'm at 335 miles ran, which is about 40 below where I feel I should be.

My Wife decided two weeks ago that we're spending a week on Pensacola Beach. Now I wish I had hit it a little harder. But I'm still just over 200 so we'll see how I do the next two weeks
Altered:

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Good job, Brian. Keep at it!

I'm doing a bit better with fitness this spring than I have for quite a while. I had to jettison a couple other hobbies to do so, but I've been getting some more miles in on my road bike this year, and I've started lifting weights again with my son who is doing weight training specifically for his hockey team. I'm a long way from where I'd like to be, but I feel like I'm making progress when it's just been regress for the last couple years.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Nice! Good job, guys, and thanks! I've got about 1/3 of my miles in for the month for this Cycle Challenge (47 miles out of 150), at almost the halfway point of the month, but I've been taking longer routes home in the morning after work and getting 7-8 miles per day. I think the biggest damper to doing a lot of bike riding, for me, is just having the time to do it. I get off work at 5AM, ride around a bit and try to be done and home by 6 so I can get to bed and get a decent enough amount of sleep before we get up. I'm off work all week next week, though, so hopefully I can get out and hit it a little bit those days.

Sadly, my weight is still up a bit and hasn't shown any signs of coming back down. I blame the missus' pregnancy.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Finally went out again yesterday for the first time in months. There were no excuses left - the weather was great, I didn't have a twinge in my knee, my head was clear and I hadn't just eaten an entire pizza (I have indeed used this as an excuse before). I thought I'd keep it slow, not worry about distance or speed and just get a couple of miles under my belt. Easy! NOT. My body laughed at me the whole way. Just laughed and laughed. "Remember that level you took months building up to? Aaaand it's gone. Instead, this is what it feels like to be rapidly deprived of oxygen! Also, tomorrow you will encounter problems with stairs." Piece of shit.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Keep working, Ub. I'm back from vacation, and ran 8 miles this morning. My 20 year HS reunion is in October, so I have 3+ months to hit 185-195.
Altered:

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Will do, Drew. It's a good motivator to know you're still out there running like a machine :lol

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

I know this feeling! Some of my first few bike rides were pretty rough, but it seems like once you get over that hump and settle into a groove, it gets easier.

I've actually been doing pretty well. A couple weeks ago, DDPYoga had a 4th of July sale going, so I got re-signed up to their subscription service and have been starting the Intermediate program from scratch. The workouts are pretty easy compared to where I was at at one time, but they're still no joke. Still biking to work most days (yesterday was ridiculously hot and humid, so no), and I've been finally keeping myself accountable for my eating via MyFitnessPal. It's not much, but I'm down about 3 pounds in the past couple weeks, so I'll take it!

Also, here's a pretty amazing (and sobering) thing. So my bathroom scale also calculates body fat %, muscle mass %, and a couple other things. At my fattest, I was about 340 pounds and a little over 50% body fat according to the scale. 2 years ago, I had my weight down to 250 and body fat around 42-43%. After the last couple years, with less clean eating but still plenty of exercise, my weight is only up to 260 but my body fat % is back up to 50-51%! I try not to obsess about numbers like that and just worry about being healthy overall, how clothes fit, etc, but when I first looked at that and saw where the body fat number was, I about fell over.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Just passed 500 miles for 2017. I'm thinking 800 is a high but attainable goal. Also down around 5 lbs. That HS reunion really has me in machine mode.
Altered: