The Fitness Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Re: The Fitness Thread

Post by One Drew Remains »

Unless you're going to failure, that's not going to do anything.

Sure it does. Over time. I don't lift so I can look like a gorilla. I lift (and run) for that toned swimmers looking body.

I have never really understood lifting for mass. I don't understand how lifting 230 lbs three times is better than forty reps at 80 pounds. Even if you do the same amount of sets.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

Schemes of 3 reps are used for strength, not mass. Higher rep schemes 12 and above stimulate a more hypertrophic response (Mass building). Past 12 reps you're just working pure endurance and I can't think of many real life situations where doing 40 reps of something would be necessary so there's little point in doing sets with such high volume.

There are many benefits to increasing ones absolute strength however.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

So are you saying I should do less reps? Or just do more sets of a lower number of reps?
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

Just focus on getting strong, always improving, and getting yourself prepared for real-life situations, not on getting a particular body type. Get rid of exercise machines and stick with push-ups, pull-ups, squats, and deadlifts -- REAL movements. Your natural body type will follow suit and you WILL look good. "Appearance is a consequence of fitness," as they say.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

so, i stepped on the scale again this morning. i'm down to 210 lbs. i've lost 32 lbs in total. got about 25-30 more to hit my goal...get back down to 180-185.
Photobucket cash grab.

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Post by Inconquerable »

I know very little about fitness, but my advice is don't do sit-ups/crunches. They do terrible things to your back. Doing certain movements with your legs will work your abdominals just as effectively if not more so than sit-ups will anyways.

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

I disagree that sit-ups and crunches do "terrible" things to your back, but yes, screw them. When will you ever do a movement like that in real life? An abdominal exercise like that has only one purpose: to give you a six-pack. But that will come naturally. Just keep your focus on eating right (that's 80 percent of the battle) and getting stronger, and the way you're naturally supposed to look will start to slowly appear.

Focus on one more rep, one pound heavier, one second faster. Improvement, improvement, improvement. That's key. Small improvements add up REALLY fast.

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

Ryan wrote:so, i stepped on the scale again this morning. i'm down to 210 lbs. i've lost 32 lbs in total. got about 25-30 more to hit my goal...get back down to 180-185.

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Post by Inconquerable »

I would say having damaged discs in your spine is pretty terrible. =P

Daniel
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Daniel »

Ryan wrote:so, i stepped on the scale again this morning. i'm down to 210 lbs. i've lost 32 lbs in total. got about 25-30 more to hit my goal...get back down to 180-185.
Awesome job Ryan!

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

I've done many sit-ups before and I never had to deal with damaged discs in my spine. I guess it would if you're doing them incorrectly, though, or if you already had back problems.

Daniel
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Daniel »

ALTERSTEVE wrote:Just focus on getting strong, always improving, and getting yourself prepared for real-life situations, not on getting a particular body type. Get rid of exercise machines and stick with push-ups, pull-ups, squats, and deadlifts -- REAL movements. Your natural body type will follow suit and you WILL look good. "Appearance is a consequence of fitness," as they say.
THIS! Agreed 100%. Especially for beginners. To build strength and mass you gotta have the 4 main lifts down. So deadlifts, squats, benchpress & shoulder press (standing barbell shoulder press). Avoid all those crazy machines.

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

That's why I love this article and website:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/01 ... e-weights/

Merinda
Sig Queen

Post by Merinda »

That's what I'm going to do then. And lots of cardio.

Start back at the gym tomorrow arvo.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: not that I needed it, buff guy that I am...

Post by zazthespaz »

ALTERSTEVE wrote:That's why I love this article and website:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/01 ... e-weights/
Interesting article, raised some good points I'd never considered, thanks for posting!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Merinda
Sig Queen

Post by Merinda »

Been away from the gym for like a month and back at it as of yesterday. Holy shit. Four weeks of not going and I'm practically back where I started strength-wise. :(

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

^I'm going down the same path, except I've only been out about 10 days. I've lost a bunch of weight and strength, but once you get in the lifting habit, it's easier to gain your strength back.

itaughttremonti
TABN.com Citizen

Post by itaughttremonti »

Hasfit.com

Basically free p90x style workouts. Money is now no longer an excuse.

Merinda
Sig Queen

Post by Merinda »

AB4Lyfe wrote:^I'm going down the same path, except I've only been out about 10 days. I've lost a bunch of weight and strength, but once you get in the lifting habit, it's easier to gain your strength back.
Hope so. I'm more training for stamina because of this marathon. I'm terrified of running because my foot has stopped hurting but I don't want it to flare back up again. Basically I was getting sharp pains in the arch of my right foot.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

^Go get custom insoles, that helped me when I was running.