The Fitness Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Re: The Fitness Thread

Post by TenaciousBe »

Hey, so we're getting close to "new years resolution" time, eh? This thread has been sparsely updated enough that I see on the current page, my own posts from the beginning of the year. I certainly failed at my 2 big goals (drop 50-60 pounds and 100 Days of Yoga), but I did manage to lose those 10 pounds or so around September, and have kept it off. When we get closer to the start of the new year, I'm going to take my measurements again and see where I stand on that compared to a year ago. I still haven't found any decent exercise routine, BUT, my wife and I have sort of converted our "office/studio" room upstairs (which was an extra bedroom but we comandeered it) into a bit of an exercise room. I had an old high school friend who was giving away an old treadmill, and we picked it up a couple weeks ago and it was okay, but old, so we ended up passing it on to someone else but it inspired us to get on Amazon and order ourselves a new one. So now we have a room with a treadmill, exercise bike, a Tony Little Gazelle (from the old informercials - it's sort of like an elliptical but more of a cross-country ski motion), and space to spread out the yoga mats.

Now, 5 years ago, at the start of 2014, I was 340 pounds and I went on this huge "healthy living" thing, walking, biking, DDPYoga, totally changed my eating habits, and by summer, I was down to about 270. Now, that sounds impressive, but the 270ish was pretty much my standard everyday weight for most of my mid-20s into the early 30s, and I only got up to that 340 a year or two before losing it - so it felt a little bit like cheating. Nevertheless, I was a heavier weight and I got it off, so it counts. And for the 4.5 years since then, I've stayed right around 250-270. Going to launch into that again and see what I can do this year!
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I've only run like once or twice since then. Obviously I have a new year's resolution to get back into it, heh. But nevertheless, it was pretty good of me to achieve!

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

I feel like my biggest obstacle to getting decent workouts in (especially bike rides and walking/running outside) is the time it takes. My big transformation year, I was a single dude so all of my time outside of work was mine to do what I wanted with. Now that I'm married, with a 1.5 year old and 3 stepkids, my time is sort of taken up with all of that family stuff. It's not so bad in the summertime when we don't have to work around school schedules, but still. I wouldn't trade my current situation for the world, but I do miss being able to devote a few hours to proper nutrition / hydration beforehand, stretching, doing the workout (which may include driving to some place to hit a trail or whatnot), home, shower, etc, and then get ready to go back to work. 12 hour shifts don't help this matter, but it is what it is. Adapt and overcome.

On a plus note, I did my beginning-of-year measurements and weigh in. Down 10 pounds from this time a year ago, and lost a couple inches around my waist and 1 or 2 in other areas (chest, hips, legs, etc). 2 days into the year and I'm doing well so far - back on MyFitnessPal tracking my food, getting back to my spinach smoothie habit in the mornings, etc. Just reclaiming the basics.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

So last year was really rough for me. I battled debilitating depression, and put on nearly 25 lbs. I finally got out of factory work in November.

At the beginning of the year, I started doing maintenance at the county courthouse (which is a block away from my house). I'm much happier (to the point I enjoy life again). And I walk the building so much that I'm literally down ten lbs in seven weeks.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Power walking?

Post by zazthespaz »

One Drew Remains wrote:So last year was really rough for me. I battled debilitating depression, and put on nearly 25 lbs. I finally got out of factory work in November.

At the beginning of the year, I started doing maintenance at the county courthouse (which is a block away from my house). I'm much happier (to the point I enjoy life again). And I walk the building so much that I'm literally down ten lbs in seven weeks.
Sorry to hear that Drew - had no idea. Glad to hear things are shaping up for you! Still running?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

I've been jogging and walking. Less impact on the knees
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Be like Lance, except for the drugs and the lying stuff.

Post by gbruin »

One Drew Remains wrote:I've been jogging and walking. Less impact on the knees
Road bike...road bike...road bike...
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Lol.
Altered:

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Hey kids! Just checking and reviving this thread from the depths of Page 2. I don't really know how I've done it, as I haven't really been doing much of anything in the way of fitness, but a couple months ago, I managed to finally hit my 100 pounds lost mark, at 240. And I'm still slowly losing pounds, down to 233 as of today, which is the lowest I've weighed since probably 2001. 240 was my first big main goal, partly because I'd been up to 340 and that's 100 pounds gone, and partly because I remember weighing in at 240 at the end of the summer of 2006, after moving back home from St. Louis, and have been above that ever since (till now). I mean, I have a hoodie that's been in my closet for the last several years that a buddy of mine left at my house once, that's only a large, and I've been wearing it pretty comfortably for the past few weeks! It's a little tight, but it FITS more than my old floppy 2X ones do. I don't know how I've managed to get to this point, but here I am! (And I know weight isn't the only measure of fitness, but it's a big goal and it feels so much better to be carrying less weight on my frame, you know?)

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

Hi guys! I thought I would revive the fitness thread for 2020! I have struggled with my body for many years. I have learned that it is not a lack of motivation, its not laziness or a lack of resources. It all goes very deep ...It is simple... A lack of love for myself... I hated myself so much that I didn't care how much pain I chose to inflict on myself in any given moment! I think Metallica wrote a song similar to my past life in St. Anger (Invisible Kid). It all just amounts to not loving and appreciating myself enough to take the time to do whats right. :) So this year...I hired a really tough ex cop ... female...personal trainer. I also learned to love me for me....even with the bad things. I am truly happy to say that I am seeing amazing results and I feel great and I love my trainer for giving me hell. :) I can't wait for the next weigh in and measurements. Its truly my year and I am excited to wake up every day. :)

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Re: More stories like this please!

Post by Inconquerable »

MaraCarr wrote:Hi guys! I thought I would revive the fitness thread for 2020! I have struggled with my body for many years. I have learned that it is not a lack of motivation, its not laziness or a lack of resources. It all goes very deep ...It is simple... A lack of love for myself... I hated myself so much that I didn't care how much pain I chose to inflict on myself in any given moment! I think Metallica wrote a song similar to my past life in St. Anger (Invisible Kid). It all just amounts to not loving and appreciating myself enough to take the time to do whats right. :) So this year...I hired a really tough ex cop ... female...personal trainer. I also learned to love me for me....even with the bad things. I am truly happy to say that I am seeing amazing results and I feel great and I love my trainer for giving me hell. :) I can't wait for the next weigh in and measurements. Its truly my year and I am excited to wake up every day. :)
I got goosebumps reading this, thank you for sharing, Mara! Self-love is so important, and even though I don't believe we've ever met (nice to e-meet you!), I'm so proud and happy that you've found that.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

That's awesome, Mara. It's clear that physical and mental health are really just part of the same process, and each helps augment the other.

Keep us posted on your journey on here. We're all rooting for you!

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

Thank you guys so much! The Corona is starting to creep into the gyms at this point. So I created a room in my home to keep working out.
Last edited by MaraCarr on Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

Inconquerable wrote:
MaraCarr wrote:Hi guys! I thought I would revive the fitness thread for 2020! I have struggled with my body for many years. I have learned that it is not a lack of motivation, its not laziness or a lack of resources. It all goes very deep ...It is simple... A lack of love for myself... I hated myself so much that I didn't care how much pain I chose to inflict on myself in any given moment! I think Metallica wrote a song similar to my past life in St. Anger (Invisible Kid). It all just amounts to not loving and appreciating myself enough to take the time to do whats right. :) So this year...I hired a really tough ex cop ... female...personal trainer. I also learned to love me for me....even with the bad things. I am truly happy to say that I am seeing amazing results and I feel great and I love my trainer for giving me hell. :) I can't wait for the next weigh in and measurements. Its truly my year and I am excited to wake up every day. :)
I got goosebumps reading this, thank you for sharing, Mara! Self-love is so important, and even though I don't believe we've ever met (nice to e-meet you!), I'm so proud and happy that you've found that.
Your awesome so happy to meet you as well! We are gonna have fun! :headbang

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

Inconquerable wrote:

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

gbruin wrote:That's awesome, Mara. It's clear that physical and mental health are really just part of the same process, and each helps augment the other.

Keep us posted on your journey on here. We're all rooting for you!
The mind / body connection is very real... in all things for sure.
Last edited by MaraCarr on Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

Inconquerable wrote:

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

So Even though the gym is now closed ...I am still going...I refuse to quit. I’m doing the workouts. Today I started trail running and doing yoga in the middle of the woods. So while I’m doing some simple yoga and appreciation... the wind starts blowing in the only spot that I’m standing in. I’m alone in the woods in this moment and the wind suddenly starts blowing ... simultaneously I felt like I wasn’t alone anymore... odd feeling, but beautiful and sacred at the same time. There was no breeze anywhere else that I could see. It was incredible. After That experience ...I start running again. I logged 4 miles today. A musical thing happened. I listen to Pandora while I run. The run started with “Kickstart my Heart” by Mötley Crüe then AC/DC “Shoot to Thrill”. Both songs I am in love with. They have so much energy that it feeds into my own body while I’m running but in addition to these two was this new to me...but old song that I just absolutely love now. :) It’s by Rob Zombie.[YouTube] https://youtu.be/yPNFVj-pISU[/YouTube]. Today was a great stress reliever and so much fun!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Outdoors. Exercise. Music...Just what the soul needs now.

Post by gbruin »

That's awesome, Mara. Kind of primal but in a cool spiritual way. Sounds perfect for the mind and body.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

Thanks ...except I hurt my right knee. I taped it up really good. Keep on keepin on ...
Last edited by MaraCarr on Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.